I am really learning to hate my computer

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJ Laster

Reaction score
I tried to re-install Word today. it installed but when I got start it......it ask for my name (no prob) intitials (not prob) and a 25 number code found on a yellow sticker..... the CD came with my computer. I never got a yellow sticker. i never had to put in the 25 number code before....help please?

BJ

Not sure but sometimes those numbers are etched on the disc. Look on the clear part next to the hole in the middle.

Harpo

I'm out of ideas. Can you call whoever you bought your computer from? Or maybe try Microsoft online.

Harpo

Bought it from Gateway. the store in OKC closed and when I called the customer service a few days ago with my issues they simply told me that my warranty was out and i couldn't call back. this is the last GateWay i will buy.......

Yeah, I'm out on Gateway too. I bought the extended in home service warranty and when I had a major problem they e-mailed with instructions telling me how to fix it myself. I then fully understood the meaning of in home service.

E-mail microsoft or go to the web-site. Maybe they can help.

Harpo

Do you still have the original manuals that came with the pc? if you do there may be a certificate of authenticity from microsoft for windows and for office. they should have the code you need.

BJ,

Unfortunately, if you do not have the 'Code' for Word, you are stuck. Try this with Gateway.

Call and ask to speak to a supervisor. Explain the situation, and find out if you can send the CD (along with proof of purchase of your machine - whatever you might have), back to them and have them replace it with another CD.

They are likely NOT going to give you the code numbers via email or over the phone.

On another note, your warranty was for a particular amount of time. It's expired. Why would you expect that someone would provide support for free, after the warranty period. They are in business to sell computers and make money, not to give free service. It is likely that the CD Code (generally on a yellow sticker), was on the sleeve/envelope of the CD for Word. Very easy to misplace/loose.

Sorry that you are having troubles with this.

Alternately, go to the site below, and check them out. It's freeware/shareware that was recommended to me by our Tech. Support folks here. I've had a problem with an older version of Word installing.

Tex
http://www.openoffice.org

Agree with Tex on this. Open office is supposed to be pretty good and the price is waaaaayyy right. Free!!!!!

Carlos

Tex-first of all I was not asking for free service when I called. I called them to let them know that my computer was acting up and to see what needed to be done...like take it in or re-install windows etc.....I was NOT asking for free service the phone call went something like this:

Hi my name is BJ Laster. I have a Gateway that I bought from the OKC store which has since gone out of business. I am having some trouble with opening Windows and I am calling to see what can be done.

What is your serial number?

###################

Your warrenty has expired and you can no longer call this number. You may buy Windows XP to re-install it or if you have the CDs that came with your computer. I have your invoice and it says that we shipped the CDs with the computer.

I am turned off by the rudeness of the lady I talked to. I was just asking what needed to be done. I was NOT asking them to fix it.

BJ

BJ,

Understood. One of the difficult things in life is to truly understand that most of the people that have those jobs, get hollered at all the time by the customers, and their management. Doesn't excuse the rudeness, but somewhat explains the situation. Another item is, that most of them really don't have the training and knowledge to deal with most problems. They look them up on a database (for the most part). Those people that have the knowledge and training, are making bigger bucks (by a long shot), and are doing something else.

It's generally accepted that when you call a customer service representative, you are asking for them to do something. They are generally trained that the first thing to do is figure out if the customer calling, is in fact a customer and is in (or out) of warranty. Once they determine that you are 'out' of warranty, they are instructed to finish the call - as in get you off the line.

The other item is that they (Gateway employees), are thinning in ranks greatly. Many reductions in force, and layoffs. More to come.

I'm not making excuses for her (or her rudeness), but rather trying to provide some additional insight to you.

Try the openoffice link. Let us know if you run/install it, and how it works.

Tex

Ahhhhhh another great reason to buy an apple, my computer was out of warranty and they jumped threw hoops to help..

I support PC's all day at work when I get home I just want something that works :) OS X and apple..

There are certainly those that like to use it. However, the gap between what an Apple will do, and what a PC will do from a graphic perspective - is significantly changed.

My son's MAC is sitting in the closet. Spent $5k on the whole shooting match when he went to college. When he needed to upgrade/buy another unit, he switched to a PC. He got tired of spending $$$$ on it.

They have their market, and remain in business. But for most, they are just not a really viable alternative anymore. Used to be that you needed an Apple/Mac to do advanced graphics. That's not the case anymore.

Tex

yes an no on the graphics Tex. I do computer and server support for a company that has over 8000 pc's worldwide and our entire graphics art dpt is on macintosh. The reason is better graphics. Photoshop and quark are on a pc are not as good as they are on a mac. The mac also has superior color calibration tools available for it. We have tried endlessly to convert them over to pc's so we can support them better but in th eend we can't because the tools arent available. For the average person doing photo's and web graphics a pc will do fine but the hardcore graphics designer still needs and wants a mac. On the flip side all of our cad workstations are windows boxes with dual cpu's lots of ram. We use windows boxes because of raw cpu speed and nothing more. A current model Mac just wouldnt cut it for that use. Both pc's and macs have thier place in the business world.

The only thing i dont like about the Mac is the cost. They cost a lot to buy and support(for large business) and upgrades are limited. If not for those factors a Mac would be my main machine at home, i do have on but i got it years ago and paid over 2500 for a machine that is almost not upgraqdable today. My home built clone pc i can upgrade cheaply whenever i want. I built it with nothing but the best parts available and it never crashes, it just works.

I'm in agreement with you on the hard core graphics people. They want the resolution that they get from the Mac. I really think it is an 'experience' thing, more than anything, but they love them Mac's.

Tex

BJ, Jim B. hit it above. Look through the docs that came with the CDs. Depending on the package, either the jewel case that contains the Office/Word Cds OR a separate booklet with the "Welcome'Installation" instructions. Either one will be rather recognizable by the anti-pirating features of the printing; the printing will almost look like some type of foreign currency - multi-colored, very intricate designs, and somwhere on it will be the Microsoft hologram (either a larger one or a band of small holograms). It will likely also say, "For Distribution With a New PC Only".

Look for a bar code on that certificate. You should see the words, "PRODUCT KEY". This is the individual CD key for your CDs. It will be (5) sets of (5) digits (alpha/numeric). That is your 25 digit CD key.

Latest posts

Back