Humminbird Matrix 25/PT185 upgrade

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Lane

Reaction score
I had considered another Garmin 240 (have one on the bow) for the console of my PT185 to replace the pitiful HB128 it came with. I couldn't come up with a satisfacory way to do it without it looking bad So...I took a look at the new Matrix 25 which is 240x240 pixels. I found that the HB128 and the Matrix series share the same mount which has the power and transducer cables inside. The Matrix 25 seemed full featured so I bought one from BPS and installed it without any problems. The transducer is smaller and did not fit the hole pattern of the 128 ducer so I had to put it next to where the old one was. No big deal. I removed the 128's ducer completely and routed the new ducer cable to the console. Plugged it in the mount, popped on the Matrix and it was ready. It looks real nice on the boat and hopefully will function as well. I like it in my garage....no water yet. I do hope HB did a good job on this new series or this will be an expensive experiment!

Hopefully anybody wanting to upgrade will find this information useful...

LT in Georgia

LT..let me know how you like it after some usage..lookin' to upgrade my Bird on my 185..

TEE

I've been looking at those. I have a Humminbird 400TX at the console and a Humminbird 300 TX at the bow on my 700LX. I wonder if the new units are worth the investment. Of course, I've got the unit that came with the boat still epoxied in the hull next to the 400TX's xducer (also epoxied in the hull). Is there a way to pull those without destroying the hull inside? Or is it better to just go ahead and mount the 25 Matrix outside the hull?

I'm going to get my Matrix 25 wet this weekend. I'm not a pro and I don't have the GPS antenna yet and I'm not going to connect my Garmin GPS V. I'll be on the lake Sat. & Sun. If it will give high speed (30 MPH gps :>)performance I will be ok with it. The HB 128 wide was good to about 25.

I mounted the transducer on the transom, had to I have a PT 175. Will give unbiased amatuer report late Mon.

Mabye some of the other guys can too.

Richard,

I also have the Garmin V GPS I use on a ram mount but haven't figured out how to hook it to the Matrix. If and when you do...let us know how.

I got family stuff to do this holiday weekend so I guess I won't know about the Matrix performance till late next week. Got to be an imporvement over the 128 though..

LT

I got the Matrix 15 and if the rain stops this weekend, I am going to hook it up. If you go the humminbird web site, they have an offer for the gps antenna, half off.

Rich D

LT4247,

Without buying the HB adapter cable ($10+s&h) the GPS V would have to be rigged, (I have made some cables at home that have worked in the past) I don't know how hard that would be for the Matirx. Probably easier to order the AS-GR4 (WAAS) antenna and just hook it up. I ordered my antenna through boaters world and they have it backordered, no sales tax, free shipping etc. HB will ship in 3 -4 days but you pay sales tax and shipping.

I'm in no hurry. See next reply.

Richard

Rich D,

Everyone should be aware that the antenna that is half off

is NOT WAAS capable. Eventually WAAS will be the way to go when all the satelites and ground augmentation systems are on line.

Richard

Richard,

I was not aware of that. Thanks!

Rich D

Latest posts

Back