How to get better gas mileage?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Zuber

Reaction score
What 'tricks' do you use to improve your gas mileage?

I've got a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 4.0 inline 6. I'm getting combined mileage of 14.5

What can I do to get a few more mpg from this pig?

A buddy suggested one of the higher-end air filters...

thanks,

az

If you get a K&N air filter you might get 1 more mpg, worth it to me for a lifetime warranty filter. Also try the Bosch platinum 4 point plugs, they do burn better, but be sure to put anti-seize on them, or you won't ever change them again! LOL Other than that just tires. It is what it is man, not pretty, but that's what we get for running SUV's! PETA be damned! LOL

Andy -

There are all sorts of things you can do to "improve" your gas mileage..... But the bottom line is that, if your truck is tuned up as it is right now, that about what you can expect.

All those things you CAN do cost money and the bottom line is that, without major changes, you won't see a gnat's ass worth of difference.

me

1997 Jeep Cherokee; 4.0L; automatic

15 to 17 mpg

10 to 11 when towing

Yeah, I saw very little if any difference when I put a K&N on my Dakota, but I like the lifetime warranty, if you change a $8 filter every year, in 5 years, the performance filter is paid for. I did notice with the K&N and Bosch plugs with an enlarged exhaust system that I did get a snapier low end, but be careful, by doing a lot of these things you can lower the running temp of your engine, and when you do that, you get WORSE gas mileage thus defeating the purpose. The only "gimmick" product I can really say works is the Duralube. I am skeptical by nature, but in my old Bronco I had a lifter that started clicking. I figured, why not, cheaper than a rebuild. I flushed my motor with the oil cleaner stuff, basically paint thinner! And then put in a bottle of the duralube with my Castrol GTX which I swear by, and the noise left, never to be heard as long as I had the truck. I sold it with 197K on it original engine and the other guy still drives it around town. If that's not proof, I don't know what is. And of course running injector cleaner every other gas tank full is a good idea to keep them clean. Clogged injectors certainly don't help mileage.

Scott

I cant believe you only get 10 to 11 towing with the 6 cyl engine. do you have the full time 4wd? Im getting 14 ( with ac on) towing with my dakota and i tow mainly in the mountians. My dakota is a 4.7 v8 4x4 automatic. i have a lead foot too and notmally tow like 75+mph.

Rob li like the k&n filters for the same reason you do. I also like the superior filtration over a paper filter. You just cant expect to gain any performance form them.

I have seen this topic discussed on other websites. The following items are usually added or upgraded in an attempt to improve gas mileage or performance:

Air filter - usually K&N

Exhaust - More air in needs more exhaust out.

Platinum tip spark plugs

Computer chip or box - Can be used to program transmission shift points and limiter (so the Chevy truck guys can go past 100mph without shutting down!)

My opinion is this:

My truck averages 13.5mpg. If I increase my fuel economy by 1 mpg and drive an average of 15000 miles per year and fuel is $1.50/gal, I will save approximately $115 per year.

You will need to figure out how much the upgrades will cost and how long it will take to recoup the costs. If you increase your performance at the same time and put your foot into it all the time, your will not save any fuel. The fuel savings part is what the guys tell their wives who can't do the math!!

I did not do any upgrades to my truck because it is what it is (300hp and 360 ft-lbs). I bought my truck to suit my daily, towing, hunting, fishing and family needs, not to conserve fuel! That's what Geo Metro's are for!

Bob G.

You know what really cracks me up? These kids you see with a $8,000 Hyudai and $4,000 stereos. Then a hi performance exhaust that just whines, and mag rims, racing tires, and a SPOILER! LOL They spend another $2,000 on bolt on accessories and all they end with is needing a valve job every 10k miles! On a 85 HP 4 cylinder car! LOL Save the extra money, buy a REAL car with a V-8 and blow the imports off the road! LOL

but their friends think it's COOOOL!!!...ahahah...and to a teenager with more money than brains.."Image is EVERYTHING"

who cares if it rides like a skateboard on cobblestone, or sounds like a chainsaw.....if it can rattle windows and burn rubber....you ARE THE MAN!!...ahahah...

All those changes are great, however, once you start adding performance parts to a vehicle the gas mileage typically goes down. Why? 'Cuz you always got your foot in it to take advantage of the new power!!

'01 Z-71 w/ 350

Hypertech Reprogrammer

Air Induction System w/ K&N Filtercharger

26# Fuel Injectors

33mm Flowmasters

33x11.15 Goodyear AT's

2 gallons/mile!!

yeah,..but you still look good pullin' into the Cohiba Store! ahahaha....waaazzzuuppp Bigdog????

The best way to improve your gas mileage has been mentioned here with the exception of one......SLOW DOWN!

My gas mileage (towing) on a 97 GMC YukonGT Vortec 5.7L and a K&N air filter is 11 hwy @ 75, 13 hwy @ 65 MPH, 14 hwy @ 55 MPH. Problem is if I drive 55 on the hwy in Michigan I risk my lower unit getting tore off from the rear.....

If you keep your tires inflated, your truck tuned up and your foot off the floor board, you are as close to you will ever get.

BTW all the figures you see are towing OUT OF OVERDRIVE!

Mini

Mini-

I've seen similar numbers relative to speed...the difference between 65 and 75 is 3 mpg on the Grand Cherokee. One good thing...I did not see huge drops in mileage when towing...nothing like Scott's numbers above.

TIN RULES!!!

az

This is my second Cherokee with the 4.0L; a 1992 and a 1997. Both got comparable mileages. Towed the Nitro 180 with the '92 and the present Nitro 2000 with the '97.

Next car will likely be a Grand Cherokee or Dakota with the 4.7 V-8; I'd like the extra torque with the bigger boat. But that's a long way off, my 1997 is just getting broken in - only has 103,000 on it! Got 231,000 out of the 1992!

Mini sure has the speed thing right! If I can get myself to keep at 60 to 65 on the highway (not towing), I can sometimes get in the 19 mpg range.

me!

Got a 98' Grand with 4L 6cyl. I picked up 4mpg and a whole bunch of power and throttle response with the following.

Turbo City air tube and K&N filter

http://www.turbocity.com/Jeep47LAirTube.htm

POWERAID throttle body spacer

http://www.airaid.com/

The Turbo City is cheaper than the K&N or Pro Comp versions and does the same thing. The spacer is groved like the threads on a nut and has small intake holes in it. It volumizes the air fuel mixture as it enters the intake manifold. It's a similar effect to ram air induction. The air tube replaces the whole stock air box. Pro Comp and K&N versions claim to add 8hp gain.

What I found with all this; is far better throttle response, no strain towing even on steep inclines and best of all 4mpg easily. I went from 280 miles a tank to 350 miles.

Mind you I run off of high octane and use Mobile1. I believe this is a better solution than the chip at $275.

Best regards

Wildwood

I agree totally with Bob G.

It will take a long time to pay back the money you put in to save. Better do the math.

(Nice sunset pic in your library too Bob)

ANDY,I'VE GOT A 95 GMC SIERRA WITH 5.7 4X4 LIFTED WITH 35'S.I INSTALLED A K+N FILTER AND RIGHT AWAY I COULD TELL THE ACCELERATOR RESPONDED A LOT FASTER THEN BEFORE AND HELPED ON MY GAS MILAGE.THEN I INSTALLED A FLOW MASTER EXHAUST SYSTEM TO GET RID OF THE BACK PRESSURE,MADE A MAJOR DIFFERENCE.MY PARENTS TOOK IT TO GEORGIA AND STILL GOT 19.7 MPG.ITS EVEN BETTER THEN THE NEW TRUCKS IM LOOKING AT.OH I ALSO PUT IN A CAM FOR MORE TORK TO GET GOING.DEPENDING ON YOUR GEARING IN YOUR TRUCK YOU MAY HAVE A LOWER GEAR THEN AVERAGE.I KEPT THE ORIGINAL 3;71 GEARING.IF I WENT TO 4;10 IT WOULD DRINK ALOT MORE GAS.HOPE THIS IS HELPFUL.

Andy,

I think you and I discussed gas milage once before. I have a 2001 Grand Cherokee 4.0 4x4 selectrac. I run around town alot and get about 16.5 mpg -- Hwy can get over 18 on long hauls and keeping the speed in check. Towing the Super Soaker it drops to around 12 or 13 with the o/d locked out.

Bruce F. may have hit on something. I only use Moble 1 5w30. It is the best in my h. o. p. Have taken several vehicals to close to 200k and while everything else was falling apart the engine was standing tall.

Harpo

Latest posts

Back