Hey Mac....

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never mind,..I got the info....will have to let you know how my week goes...TONS of cocka on the burner to get done!

I'll be in touch.

mac

Hey Mac, if you fish with Ken, you make sure you do the counting.....

Buzz

Dave,

The homebrew was great...thanx again.

To the rest of you...

ROTHFLMJNO!!!! Keap tyrin big dog u'l git it eventaly.

Ken,....we can fish sunday if you want,....I don't care.

We'll have fun! We'll just make it a point to get our 5 fish FIRST,..then I'll help you sort them out from then on!..LOL seeya sunday morning!! Be at my house by 4am!!

Mac

sounds good, but I may be coming back from up-north, so I could meet you at the ramp...I'll let you know.

Up north??!!....you'll have to leave up there at 1am!!

You won't be worth a dayum by noon!!! LOL....NOW you tell me!! Man between Mini snubbin' me and you wanting to fish with one eye open.....I see where I rate!!! LOL

Mac

I'll get to bed real early.....I'll be up by Harbor Beach so it won't take that long. Don't worry...I'll catch 'em, you count 'em!!!

Better catch 'em a lil bigger than that bait you tried to weigh in at the rally!

I can't wait. After talking to some of the guys from MI last week, I'm beginning to think that St Clair is the only real smallie competition to Champlain. Champlain had a banner year this year for tourneys, but it didn't have the year it typically does. That's fine, because everyone is already threatening to move here. Let 'em move to MI!

Hey Neeley, when does season open is spring? If I make it for the spring classic this upcoming year, do you guys have a catch and release season?

I don't agree Rob...nothing against Champlain it's an awesome fishery, but there are some good waters around.

For example; Only 1 20+ lbs bag was caught at Champlain over 4 days. Last year at 100 islands, no less than 7 20+ bags were brought in 90% of those smallies. On Day three, 3 people brought in 21+ pounds to the scales, all smallies. The Champlain day 1&2 winner would have made 3rd at 100 islands. On that particular weekend, the winds were howling so much that most of the field did not go to the lake, which would have brought the weights up. A little tidbit more info....the leaders and winner of that event was from Michigan.

There is some awesome smallie fishing in and around all Great lakes, including Champlain. In shear quantity you might have something, but I think the next Everstart, at 100 islands will surprise us all !

On another note, even though I am happy to be able to be fishing in Champlain before everything else is open I fear that it may be hurt the fishery in the long run.....but I'll let the professonals worry about that.

Pierre

erie and st.clair weights are down this year too....they were down last year a little bit, but 3 years ago it was unbelievable!! 20+ lb bags were required to get a check down to 4th place a lot of times!! Some say it's "cyclical", that may be part of it,...but with 5 major tournaments up here in the last 3-4 years has taken it's toll on the fishery too in my opinion. We've had top 150's, FLW's, BFL's, and Everstarts, and then the local stuff every weekend and now on weekdays from june-sept!!..On top of that you throw in meat hunters, live bait guides who NEVER release unless it's short,..and then your normal post tournament mortality. It all adds up to a decline in size and over all weights....it'll take it's toll on champlain too....

Mac

I also talked to several pro's about declines and causes and they all said pretty much the same thing,..."When a lake receives national acclaim and media coverage,..the pressure on that fishery will increase 10 fold!...sooner or later it'll have a significant impact on the quality and quantity,...that's why C&R is so vitally important...it will help to minimize the negative impacts,...in addition to that, fishermen and their baits and equipment in general and especially todays tournament anglers are so much better on average than they were just 10 yrs ago.....more and bigger fish are being caught consistently and it all contributes to the ups and downs in quality and quantity"....it makes perfect sense to me,...we all need to be more diligent about C&R and total environmental quality.

Mac

ATTENTION ALL BASS FISHERMEN AND FISHERWOMEN:

The bass fishing on Lake Champlain is at its all time low. The reported numbers of bass are declining each day. The Fish and Wildlife Department has declared all recreational bass fishing on Lake Champlain "catch and release". All tournaments will be cancelled for the next 10 years in an effort to re-establish the declining numbers. Spokesperson Bob G. said "We will continue our efforts until I catch a 5 pound smallmouth bass, then we can re-evaluate the regulations".

I have always wanted to start an internet urban myth!!

Bob G.

Absolutley. Now Pierre, we have had a drop this year, so 20+ lb sacks are normal here. The last Everstart was not indicative of Champlain normally. I am a little concerned though about the impact of the FLW. The fish spawned late this year, and many of those big smallies were spawning females that came from my flats. I fear next year will see a big drop. We have experienced a HUGE increase in fishing pressure in the last 10 years. Ten years ago, if you saw 2-3 bass boats, you figured there was a tourney. Now, you hope that's all you see. We have seen it with walleye that are now all but non-existent on the lake. Compound the fishing pressure with commorants, and in another 5-6 years, we have a real serious problem on our hands. We don't have enough DEC enforcement on the water ESPECIALLY in VT. I have tried to turn in people before with huge stringers full of bass, 3-4 times their limit. Nobody comes out. Plus, I would like to see the min length go at least to 12". This is the only lake where 10" is legal in the state. In fact 14" would be better. It would take the pressure off the smaller fish, especially in tourneys. As I said at the rally, there are plenty of 2,3,4 and even 5 lb smallies out there, but increasingly fewer 8-10" fish. Which means the next generation of trophies once these lunkers die off, will be dramatically less. So, I may come up to St. Clair since MI is much more proactive in their conservation attempts. NY is notorious for not acting until it is far too late.

We have the problem here to Rob. I personally turned in 50 registration numbers last year and not one arrest.....there arent enough Officers to enforce the laws.

Before you come to Clair you have to realize that the boat traffic is the worst you will see. Depending on the time of year and the weather forecast. If you want to fish on Saturday in July when the forecast has been nice.....hang on. Even if there is no wind I guarentee a 4' chop from boat wakes......I would say even if you dont see a boat, but that NEVER happens. 525 square miles of water on the lake, and you will see a boat in every direction, and they all look like they are coming straight for you!!!!!!!

There are more boats registered on the St Clair River, Lake St Clair and the Detroit River than any other body of water in the world. Michigan has the most registered boats than any other state in the Union. I guess Neeley and his Pro Staff are too good at the boat shows....lol

Mini

I heard that before about your neck of the woods....I, on the other hand went fishing the other noight and saw....No boats!

Pierre

Latest posts

Back