Help with Bull Shoals

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob LaMoy

Reaction score
Well I received my championship packet for TBF nationals. We get....ready for this......ONE whole day to prefish, no more. So, on a lake I have never even seen, I have approximately 10 hours, give or take, to:

1) Learn the lake, it's hazards, etc

2) Pattern the fish and come up with a 3 day game plan

3) Find spots that play into that pattern/plan

no problem.......LOL

My wife has pointed out that somehow I always seem to do my best when I have the least amount of time to prefish. However, I still would like to general direction so I am just fine tuning my plan during that all so important 1 day of practice. This certainly does play right into the hands of the MO, AR boys that live there.

Anywho, anybody knowing that lake that would like to offer a few tips, I would really appreciate it. From the research I've done already, it looks to be a prespawn bite. The tourney is 3/12 - 3/15. That should be a jerkbait bite and as many of you know, that's right up my alley. I will also most likely be dragging my always handy grubs on finesse line. Should it warm up, then I'll pick up my whoopin stick and head for the shallows with a jig.

That's my plan as of now, I have no idea where to start as my maps are not here yet. I'm also hesitant to put any spots on a post as others I may be fishing against could see it. So MO and AR boys, my e-mail is [email protected]. Hope to see some of you at the tourney. Stop in and say "Hi"!

Go there prior to the cut off and learn th elay of the lake (hazards and such). Also the recent tournament results on the lake might give you some insight where some of the good spring areas are.

Remember clear water Rob. That should work into your favor.

Also remember though, a jerk bait in the south isnt the same as it is for northern smallmouth.

Good luck.

The recent BASS Federation Nation National Championship had a similar format. One day of practice, three days fo competition. Only the practice day and the first day of competition were cancelled due to weather. The third day was cancelled also, they added another day to the event. Dont worry about it, just do your homework and fish the moment.

Deep and clear water! You sound like you have the right ideal for this lake been 10 years since I fished there, but that was our pattern then, also buffing rattle traps was pretty good then. Good luck and don't worry about the locals they are stuck on the same places they allways fish you on the other hand will have a open mind to find a pattern.

Rob, I fished it as a co-angler in 2007 Stren. Almost everyone that was in the top ten ran towards the more shallow and stained area of the lake. Leave the marina turn left and run about 35 - 50 minutes at a high rate of speed. Jerk baits were the dominant pattern with a jig backup. The water is more shallow, and warmer at that end of the lake. Good luck, that sucker is deep and clear.

Uuuuhhhhh....

Does it help if I know where the walleyes are and offer to help you find them! Good luck... Wish I COULD help...:rolleyes:

Rob, remember that when they talk jig fishing, they don't mean flippin like you and I know about. Think 1/2 to 3/4 ounce footbalis on points and bluff ends. When most of the Ozark boys talk about a jig they are usually talking about an Eakins jig. Peanut butter and jelly and green pumpkin are standards. Also a Yamamoto Huka Ggrub is a good bait there also. Hope this helps.

Tim

Rob,

Here's a link that should provide you with some info (below).

Given there are good spotted bass on this lake, look up on BFHP (don't ban me for this transgression), but look for a paper written/titled: Fishing for the wolfpack. It's a primer on spotted bass fishing.

Given that this lake has good spotted bass population, and it will probably be pre-spawn for them - I'd take the approach of getting a limit on spot's, then trying to cull with some LM. However, given that the state record Sport came from this lake, I might just try and run the wolfpack pattern as long as it produces.

I tried this and was successful on Keowee (large deep clear lake famous for spots) in SC. Used a fish head swim jighead (tail spinner type), with either a small to med sized fluke tied on. Run the points, and simply let it fall to 10-12 feet deep and reel it in (on Keowee that meant fishing points in 20-30' of water). If the 'wolfpack' is there, you will get hammered. It's definitely a run-n-gun strategy.

Best of luck. I know that you have wanted this type of opportunity. Congratulations.

Tex
http://www.ozarkmtns.com/fishing/species/spotted.htm

Latest posts

Back