Help! Reel Maintenance...

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
I just had my main reels restrung. I bought Abu reel oil and reel magic (spray). My question is where do you put what and how much.

Where do you put the oil on the spinning reel? baitcaster? Where do you spray the reel magic? Have some idea but I don't want to mess up. Thanks guys, you're the best.

Teri, oil the bearingson the spool ends and you can also oil the worm gear that runs the level wind, although i like grease here better. it should take only a couple of drops oil on the bearings. if you really want to make the reels cast good lube the bearings with remington rem oil instead, that stuff will really make them fly. reel magic is for making the line softer and easier to cast.

I heard dip-stick and I came running....whatdaya want marke? LOL. I would also like to know where the lube goes on a bait casting reel and spinner also.

T.S.

Teri -

The one time I tried cleaning and lubing a baitcaster, I ended up taking it to the shop in a baggie! LOL! And I'm mechanically inclined! Now, all baitcasters always go to the shop.

Shimano spinning reels are easy. They are all I've owned for the past 20 or so years so I don't know about other makes. Just take the handle off. The take off the side cover. I use WD-40 to spray clean the old grease out of the reel and then just squeeze a bit of new stuff back in.

I don't go any further than that. Too easy to mess sumpthin up. And I DON'T want to make BJ's list!

I've got a great shop here in St. Louis (Paul's Bait and Tackle) that'll completely go through any reel for about $15. (Don't remember the exact price.) Well worth it to be sure that the job is done absolutely right.

me!

That's a good article. I used it when I cleaned and re-lubed my Curados. I used Quantum Hot Sauce. One drop only!! Too much oil will bog down the bearings and make the reel run slower.

Harpo

Rem oil is so thin, you may need to re-apply very often...

I have some, but I think my main oil will be the Yellow Rocket fuel...

Heard good things about the hot sauce, but havent bought any yet...

You wont go wrong with the heartland link, take your time and you'll be fine...

I thought that the Rem Oil was a little thin too, but my thinking is that once the bearings are flushed out with lighter fluid and lubed, I can just add a drop every now and then without pulling the bearings. Then just flush and lube during the off season.

Bob G.

Memory and Twist are such hassles with spinning gear.....

Does Reel Magic make any significant difference here?

Or is twist just too much to overcome?

ReelMagic wont get rid of twists, but it will help to "relax" the line a little so that the memory portion goes away...

The only way to reduce twists is in how you operate the reel...

<ul>

<li>Never use the handle to close the bail, always do it by hand

<li>Always make sure to pull the line "tite" before beginning to reel it in (no loosse coils)

<li>Never reel against a fish taking drag

</ul>

Other than that, some twist is the name of the game with spinning...

Hey, Simmy! Were your ears burning? While you were posting this, Trepper and I were on the phone talking about you!

Teri, Never use to much oil or grease or it will end up having the opposite affect that you want it to.

By using to much it will only act as a gathering agent for dirt,grime and micro metal shavings which will gum up the gears and cause wear.

I approch my reel cleaning and oiling by the same principals I use to clean and condition my guns.

Clean of the old residue with a light solvent and soft tooth brush (or eqivalent) wipe clean with a LINT-FREE cloth and spray with what ever metal conditioner you've choosen.

Then wipe it again with a lent-free cloth lightly.

Do the same on your worm gears and afterwards apply sparingly some very light-body grease not a lot a little.

The grease is only for anti-friction if the gear has to plow through a lot of grease than its working against your reel and not with it.

Good luck!

Moderation is the key here .

Simmy, i haev tried the yellow rocket fuel and it seemed very thin also. I feel i get better performance from the rem oil. I only use it on the spool bearings and i do re lube them about once a month. Dont waste your time with the hot sauce, the oil is ok but no better then the rocket fuel or rem oil and the grease is flat out junk. I tried some in one of my curado's last year and all it did was make a mess. it didnt maintain its thickness and it spread itself everywhere in the reel. After about a week of use i could feel it wasnt lubricating anymore and had to clean it out and go back to my old standby. I use OMC tripple guard grease in my reels. I like it because its sticky and stays where you put it and it also is totally waterproof unlike some other greases i have seen. I know its not designed for a reel but it has the same thickness as other reel greases i just think it works better.

Jim B.,

Do you pull the bearings out and clean before oiling during the season or do you just put a drop on each while in place?

Bob G.

Bob

I do a full teardown and cleaning on all my reels every winter. During the season when i relube the bearings i just add a drop while they are still in place in the reel.

I did pull the bearings and cleaned/lubed them. I was just inquiring about lubing during mid-season, which is pretty short here anyways! I used Rem Oil since I have some.

Bob G.

Here's what you do....in the beginning of winter you take a 5 gallon bucket and you disassemble every reel you have and drop all the parts in the bucket, springs, bearings, etc., then you spend the rest of winter trying to put them back together again. The goal is not to have any parts left in the bottom of the bucket when you are through. It's like a big puzzle!!

TOXIC

Sounds like an expensive and time consumeing puzzle Tox.

T.S.

No, Toxic has not lost his mind. He is simply putting forth a technique for keeping cabin fever at bay... hahahahahahahah.

david.....

OK i'm gonna sound like an IDIOT again, but i've never taken my reels apart (OK once and like me! never got it back together). OK that's not 100% true, i've taken my kids snoopy reels apart!! LOL

So other then basic lube on the exterior accessible places, do I need to be worried about either A) never opening/cleaning/greasing them or B) if I actualy DO take one apart chance are i'm hosed and should just take them in and pay for cleaning???

If you clean and lube the bearings, you should be fine... If the reel starts to act up, or gets reel rough feeling, then you should definitely do a tear down...

I think Heartlands will do a complete tear-down and service for a fair price...

It really depends on the abuses you put your reels thru as to the extent of cleaning.

Thanks Sim I only have one (a 12 year old Quantum 1310) that feels like it needs cleaning/repair.

How do you clean/lube the bearings? Doesn't that require taking the darn thing apart and HOPING you can get it back together??? LOL

Trep,

Check out this website, it might help you out. I just did my Curados and it was easy. I don't know anything about Quantums, but they might be similar. Or you could just bring it to the rally and we'll take it apart the night before after a few drinks!! That way you can pack it flat for the ride home in a ziplock baggy when it's broken down into a bunch of pieces instead of a bulky reel!! Just kidding...

At least pull the spool out and have a look see...it might not be that bad. The only tool I used for my Curados was a paperclip to pull the bearings out and a pencil to spin them.

I'm gonna keep posting that website until you go there and take your reel apart!!

Bob G.
http://www.heartlandtackleservice.com/articles.htm

I did it...no big deal. Nick the Wonderdog helped. Just follow the instructions. The Quantum Hot Sauce works great IMHO.

Harpo

Did you ever notice that when Teri starts a post, it goes on forever???

Bob G.

Most of the time they end up nothing like they started.

Latest posts

Back