Having a sad day today . . . .

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
Well, thought I would un-burden myself a bit and also offer a reminder to all. If you have any friends and/or family that are dealing with serious medical problems - please remind yourself to be sure and see them, or at a minimum call and talk to them.

Myself and others from my high school times, have kept in touch off and on for the last 40 years. Over the last 3 years, every October we get together 'informally' for a weekend of fun, drinks, good food and old times. When we returned to Texas, we started attending once again.

About 18 months ago, at the last get together I was able to attend, I was unable to see a very dear friend that I used to run with years ago. Spent many an hour shooting pool or simply cruising with Othey. He went on to have a career as an iron worker in and around Houston, till he answered the call and took up preaching. I haven't seen him in a very long time.

Last year, his health declined severely and he has been in and out of the hospital for treatement of cancer and other related internal problems. I have meant to call and or see him off and on now for the past several months. I waited to long, to my dismay.

I received an email last night that said that Othey's life support would be removed at Noon today. While his brother and others very close to him were certain that he would fool the Doctor's and keep going; the Doctor's are certain that he will lose his battle and slip away.

Let this be a reminder that if faced with a similar situation, please be sure and follow through. I have no one to blame other than myself for not connecting with him at least one more time.

I won't know definitively what the situation is till later tonight when I get home, but I certainly spent some time during my lunch hour today thinking about all the good things my good friend Othey McNew and I spent in our younger years.

Tex

That's a drag,...sorry to hear about your buddy. Life is precious and can be taken away at any moment! Even with advanced preparation, we're never really ready for the final curtain, so it's important to let your friend's know you love them...we may never get a chance to tell them...so we gotta let our action's do the talking when we can't!;)

Remember the good times Tex,....it will always help you deal with the bad ones!!

A sad but good reminder Tex. I recently reconnected with several old friends on Facebook. I too have lost touch with friends only to find out I tried to reach back out to say hello too late.

Sorry to hear this John. Prayers sent for your buddy, his family and the wonderful friend in you left grieving. That's great advice you give for there aren't any promises for a tomorrow. God Bless.

When I got home this evening, I learned that late this afternoon Othey McNew, went to his reward, surrounded by family.

I will miss him, but take comfort in knowing that he was comfortable with his ultimate situation, and also in his faith.

Tex

Remember the good times you shared! big hug!

Sorry to hear that John, loosing a long time dear friend is never easy, keep all the great times and thoughts alive and remember him always.

Trep

Latest posts

Back