guitar help-please

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike chip

Reaction score
as you may or may not know, my brother passed away sept 15th, i inherited alot of his stuff and am finaly making a dent in figuring out what to do with it. but i dont know a thing about guitars. i have no clue about them other than names and models, i am lost. where can i go to find out how much they are worth? please offer a suggestion. there are none on ebay like the ones i have, one is an ovation acoustic/electric and the other is a 12string yamaha acoustic.

mike c

mike c

Mike - Take them to a GOOD guitar shop and they will evaluate them and provide you with a price. If you can provide me the model numbers I can do a little research for you. I may also be interested in the 12 string. I had an Ovation Acoustic / Electric and depending on the model and condition could go for $100-300.

Also, very sorry about your brother. It hasn't been a very good couple of months for you and our thoughts and prayer go out to you and your family.

You might look on www.musiciansfriend.com and see if you see anything that looks similar to your guitars to get an idea of new retail price.

There are many different model numbers for both Ovation & Yamaha. Did you look in the sound hole on each guitar? There is usually a sticker on the inside that can sometimes give you the model number.. I had and Ovation electric/acoustic way back in the 80's, I know it cost me over $500 back then. Some instruments go UP in value after time depending on the condition. If you have a good digital camera, take a few good pics of each guitar and post them, that might help. Otherwise, do like Bill said and take them to Guitar Center or another music shop and see what they think. Dont go in there telling them you will sell them on the spot for a fair price or they will offer you a low-end deal. Maybe just mention the whole story and tell them you wanna keep them and just want an idea of thier value..

Good luck !!! Sorry about your loss

Mike

Dont go in there telling them you will sell them on the spot for a fair price or they will offer you a low-end deal. Maybe just mention the whole story and tell them you wanna keep them and just want an idea of thier value..

I totally agree with Bill and Mat! After you get a quote from the guitar shop, if they tell you "if you want to sell them let us know", you've probably been low-balled already

so just be careful.

If that Ovation Acoustic/Electric isn't way out of line price wise, I'd REALLY be interested Mike.

I know it's been tough on you but just hang in there and remember all the prayers and best wishes you're getting from your friends here.

Uncle Billy

Maybe keep the Yamaha ?

Even if you don't use it...keeping it around will remind you of him and when someone comes along that does know how to use it, can bring back some good memories.

The Ovation could be worth $300-$1000 depending on the model. The Yahmaha is probally worth about $200-$400 depending on model. The Ovations used to be one of the only acustics that had built in pick-ups. You can also goto Ebay and look at past auctions to get a value. But a guitar shop should get you close. Hope this helps.

PS If you need any help shoot me some models and pictures and I will try to look them up for you.

Donnie

thanks for the replys guys. i would not even begin to be able to find a guitar shop, i just want fair value for them, and more important, i want to know someone will take care of them, as for keeping them around, i am keeping an electric fender and a les paul? and a bass called a hamer that he custom painted. as for the model numbers, the ovation is a model 1612 blonde in color and the yamaha is a model fg 412 sb. it a few different colors like rosewood or something.

thanks guys, it would really help me out esp since i am on dialup for another week.

mike c

Check E-bay like DonJovi suggested. Type in the make and model and see what they are going for. My next guitar will be either a les paul or stratocaster. I have 3 1/2 acoustics (1 is still under construction), 1 semi hollow electric and a cheapo electric now. Guitars are as much fun to collect as fishin' stuff. :wub:

Gene

Dude that Les Paul could be worth big $$$ and so could the Fender. What years are they? If they are vintage (1970 and older) they are major collectors items.

Gene have you finished my koa guitar?lol

Donnie

donjovi,

i have no idea how old they are. they were gifts from musicians ones signed and personalized. the other is not signed. when he did lights for them at a few concerts. theres to much sentimental value to part with them, at least right now.

mike c

Your Les Paul should have a 9 digit serial number stamped on it.... The FIRST & FIFTH digit is your year of production.... the rest of the numbers have to do with the batch, style and sequence in the order they were built....

Example 843527655 = is a 1982

DonJovi is somewhat correct on the vintage models being very valueable, but the condition of each piece plays a factor in them as well. There are also some newer models that hold a high value if there were only a low number of them made. Almost any Les Paul in great condition will go UP in value as the years pass.

Hang on to it !!!!

Mike

Don, not yet.:D I still need to buff out the laquer, set the bridge and nut. I just need to get back going on it.

Gene

Mat, how can you tell the year on a Fender? I have a couple that I would like to date. I think one maybe a 96 and that should be a 50th anniversary but it does not have a anything stamped on the head.

Donnie

I think older Fenders at least have the date in pencil on the neck inside the neck/body joint and in the pick-up cavity.

DonJovi

Fender uses a different system.... look for yours and tell me where it is located, Bridge plate, neck plate or anywhere else on the body. Some are in fact written underneath the pickups. The serial numbers are somewhat in order of the years they were built... for example: 0001 - 5999 (1950) 6000 - 9999 (1951) and so on. These examples are not acurate, just my way of explaining it.

If you want to tell me your specific number, I can try to look into it for you. I am at guitar center almost weekly.

Mike

Also remember I have a client that is the CFO for Paul Reed Smith Guitars, I'm pretty sure he could decipher them!!:lol:

TOXIC

I am in Little Rock this week. Give me a few days Mike and I will get back to you. I am pretty sure it's a 96 but I want to make sure. From my understanding the the 50th anniversary's are worth a little more.

Latest posts

Back