Goodbye Nitro!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Daniels

Reaction score
I have been a lurker on these forums for about 10 months. Excellent resource for Nitro Owners.

I bought my new 2004 Nitro 929 CDX in May of 04. Here is the list of issues I have had with this boat.

1. Trailer brakes went out with less than 1000 miles on trailer.

2. Welds broke on trailer in three spots.

3. Trim/Tilt Unit went out.

4. Bilge pump stopped working.

5. Trolling Motor would turn on and off by itself.

6. Rubber gas hose from tank to Mercury 225 Sprung a leak.

7. Stitching on Leather seat ripped apart.

8. Trailer brake lights (left side) all blew out.

9. RPM Gauge stopped working.

10. Passenger Side Trolling Motor Battery died and needed replacement.

11. Rod Locker leaks and two other compartments leak really really bad.

12. More than a dozen Rock Chips on trailer. (Not really a warranty issue but enough to upset me.

13. Warning Buzzer from engine would always go off once or twice during any outing. They replaced an impellor or something.

14. Power Point Stopped working, something with a wire.

15. Sticker on Trailer starting peeling off. Needed replacement

16. Oil Injection unit needed replacement after a loud buzzer started going off.

All this within a 12 month period.

The dealer kept my boat from end of October till April 15th. Guess they were a little busy.

So out of the 10 months I have owned this boat, it was in for repair for 6 months.

I am so disgusted.

I picked the boat up from the dealer last week and took it to a local lake for my first outing this year. I got stranded in the middle of the lake. The motor just cut off and wouldnt start back up. Finally I got towed to the dock and after a while got the boat on the trailer. All is well i think. Well, nope. Hit the Trim/Tilt unit and no go. It doesnt work again.

Bottom line is, I am so unhappy with my boat.

I am thinking about trading it in for a Ranger Z-21 Commanche.

Bill Daniels

Darn sounds like a bad deal all around, I would like more info if it does not offend you. Brakes and welds on trailer? Hoses, ect. Where they not installed properly? Defective parts? Not trying to defend or insult just looking for more info.

BF

Bruce F, Not trying to start anything, but brake issues are not exclusive to only Nitro. I had to replace the entire master cyl. assembly on my Champion, along with the wheel bearings after around 18 months. That and all of the other problems that I had with that piece of crap lead me to sell it and come back to Nitro/Tracker. I've owned a Nitro and now a Tracker and have never (knock on wood) had an serious maintenance issue. The Champion was always nickle and diming me to death. On the bright side, the Champion sure rode and handled well.

Steve

I was lucky,never a problem with my nitro..But I really like the ranger..and the Z Is a fantastic ride and sharp to.....:D

Just remember that about 6 of those issues could be directly attributed to Tracker. Not defending them, but most of those issues are with parts or coponents supplied by other companies.

Sorry about your luck.

One question....what is a power point on a boat?

Mini

Mini, It's basically a cigarette lighter receptacle, My 2003 P/T185 has one. I think that most folks use them for black lights, cell phone chargers or maybe radios/cd players.

Steve

Mini,

You may correct that not each issue was not directly contributed to tracker. However, perhaps the parts they are buying are not of good quality. Either way, the boat is broke again and sitting in my driveway. I personally think thats directly contributed to the brand Nitro.

When I looked at Bass Boats last year, I really looked around. Narrowed it down to 3 choices.

Skeeter

Ranger

Nitro

I really loved the Ranger, but the 42K price tag was a bit high. The skeeter was nice. The nitro on the other hand. Well, it had it all. It had all the features at a price tag I liked. I did as much research as i could, but in the end the Nitro had a Mercury on it and I thought it would be a good buy.

In the 12 months I have owned the Nitro, I have come to a stark conclusion. You really DO get what you pay for. The build quality of my Nitro boat is sub-par at best.

The trailer for example. What a piece of crap. They spot weld the wheel wheels on to the tube frame of the trailer. Then they expect you to board your boat by stepping on the wheel well area. All in all not a smart choice. They should have spot welded this spot and then secure the Wheel Wells to the frame with bolts. This would have avoided breaking welds in my case. I took my trailer to a shop and had all the spot welds re-done and then had them attach with large bolts. No more fenders shaking badly due to broken welds. My cost, just over $200. Out of my pocket. Why? Dealer informed me the re-welded the trailer, but they never did! I got sick of the bouncing fenders.

Speaking of the trailer, I just noticed something disturbing. I crawled under my Nitro this morning to inspect the boat for any spider cracks, as I have decided to sell it. The first thing I noticed at the back of the trailer was a rusting spot. 12 Months old and my trailer is starting to RUST? So, I though maybe I had hit something and removed the paint front the trailer. This is not the case. I looks to me like water gets stuck inside the trailer and it actually is rusting from the inside out. Not good at all. Another issue I will have to bring to the dealer.

Hopefully I can sell this boat in a reasonable fashion.

Any takers? Paid 36K will take the first 25K thrown at me.

sorry to hear all the problems you are having not to defend the Nitro but you can get a lemon in any thing you buy I have a 2000 929cdx and the only problem I have got is in dash flasher not working right my next door neighbor is on ranger pro staff his 2003 ranger was a lemon and he almost had to give it away JD

I agree with JD.. I got my Savage in 97 and the only thing I had to replace was the Flasher that came with it and that was on my First trip with it. Dealer replaced it and it has been working great ever since. I did have to replace a rear light a couple of years ago. Other than that, This Boat has been great.. Now, if I had my Choice of Boats out there I would prob go with the new Z series Ranger. My second choice would prob be a Skeeter and my 3rd choice would be that 19' magnum Triton (Tin). But seeing how my Savage is paid off, I really like the payments I have..:rolleyes:

Max <><

Let's review this as a lesson.

Lesson #1.

If you're going to purchase a tournament grade bass boat, make DANG sure whoever you're buying it from actually has some sort of passion, knowledge, and experience rigging and servicicing that sort of boat. If they guys says, yeah I got one of them here somewhere, chances are going to be really good, you experience will not be good.

And to delve that a little further, go around back, talk to a tech, rigger, and service manager. How many 20', 225 rigs have you setup? How many do you have in the field? What sort of issues have you guys seen with them, and what did you do to take care of it? Hard questions, but I'll bet ol' Bill wished he'd asked them.

A mercury is a mercury is a mercury, no fault of tracker there, troll motors, depth finders, other pieces are all pretty well industry standard. They do not put junk on a 929, it's the same stuff ranger triton, whoever puts on their boats too. Rigging, testing, and make ready will determine the difference.

I'm sorry to hear of your troubles Bill, I would not have been as patient as you've been, and there would have been body parts laying around. I do hope this helps others in the future, to find out who can and especially who won't service their product after it's bought.

Details. Every boat I ever boat needed tweeking. Too bad you had to spend the first year tweeking. As a rule, those are really nice boats.

Da Bear

Fully agree with the lesson above, and what has been said of equipment. Mercury, Motorguide, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Hummingbird, etc... all make quality products that are included on many of todays top boats. However - sales (one that wasn't mentioned), service, rigging, and quality of the components used to hook up these pieces of equipment will all make a huge difference in the long run. I learned this lesson before purchasing my new boat. There were a LOT of unanswered questions. I'm not trying to go into a bashing session here, so please do not take it that way. I had a really bad experience going into the buying of a Nitro 929, and decided to back away from it at the last minute because of all of the bad experiences adding up. I was a nervous wreck by the time I made the final decision, and part of it was because I had to make that decision. The buying process started out good, but turned more and more sour the further I got into it. Too many unanswered questions, unreturned phone calls, etc..... I firmly believe that I made the right decision by going to another dealer and buying my Triton instead. I am in no way saying that all of the Nitro experiences are like this. With another dealer, not going through the program I was dealing with, etc... it may have been a totally different story.

I got the same engine and electronics that I was going to get on the 929, but decided to go with a Motorguide trolling motor instead of the Minn Kota I was originally planning on going with, due to advice by the salesman. He said that he would substitute the Minn Kota on the boat at no additional charge if I wanted it, but explained the reasons for the Motorguide so well, that I decided to give it a shot. So far, I like it, which is something I didn't think I would hear myself say about Motorguide after previous experiences with other models (this is a Tour model - digital, with the transducer built in. Pretty nice!)

The Triton salesman was extremely knowledgeable about EVERYTHING I asked about the boat. Never, ever, not once, did he ever say "I don't know", or "I'll have to get back with you on that". He knew what type of bilge pumps / aerators were in there, what the warranty on the engine / trolling motor was, etc... He even knew where my motor should be set up on the jackplate, how high it should be, and what prop I should put on it for the conditions / weight that I normally carry (he gave me a choice of which stainless prop I wanted from several available, with suggestions for which prop works best with which load - and after questioning me on it, made a suggestion on which was "the best for my setup"). Then the riggers came out and measured my leg reach for the hot foot and set up the boat so that it fit me perfectly. Overall, I left that dealership feeling like the most important person they had ever dealt with, although I know I was just another satisfied customer. I may end up having a problem down the line - you never can tell - all boats are holes in the water that you have to put money into to keep them in top running condition, especially if you fish tournaments. But if I do have a problem, I am 101% sure that Pops Marine and / or Triton will take care of it. Peace of mind is worth every penny spent.

glenn

Teddy still does not have his new 929 and wouldn't have it any other way. When his hull came out of the mold, Tracker QC looked at it and decided to scrap the hull because something wasn't right. Kudo's to Tracker. Did you notice how few and far between the problem boats are becoming? I am a firm believer that Tracker is stepping up to the plate with QC and it shows. Law of averages will still be at work and some lemons will always make it out of the dealership. Remember what we have always said....know and trust your dealer because they will make or break the experience. On a side note, I know personally of 2, 9- series boats (KB's old 901 and my 929) that have had the snot run out of them in all kinds of conditions and you will hear no complaints from either one of us. If we ask reaaaaaal nice, maybe KB will hop in and tell of his experience with a Triton today on the Potomac.:D

TOXIC

TOX - Give KB a holler and ask him what I was told by a Tracker employee about Teddy's boat... you may be a little shocked with the huge difference in stories. Teddy may be also if they told him that story and he finds out what I was told.

Glenn

Bill, I know you're upset, and I am NOT one to take Tracker/Nitro's side. Let's examine one-by-one

1. Trailer brakes went out with less than 1000 miles on trailer. -- UFP parts, industry standard

2. Welds broke on trailer in three spots. -- Nitro makes crappy trailers, Nitro's fault

3. Trim/Tilt Unit went out. -- merc issue

4. Bilge pump stopped working. -- rule, mayfair, or even attwood brand... industry standards.

5. Trolling Motor would turn on and off by itself. -- Trolling motor or wiring? Wiring is Nitro's

6. Rubber gas hose from tank to Mercury 225 Sprung a leak. -- industry standard component

7. Stitching on Leather seat ripped apart. -- It ain't leather, Nitro's fault

8. Trailer brake lights (left side) all blew out. -- probably a wiring issue -- I'll blame Nitro

9. RPM Gauge stopped working. -- why? gauge or rectifier isn't Nitro's fault. Actually, the wiring harness is Merc's I believe, so still not their fault unless it's an assembly of wire to gauge.

10. Passenger Side Trolling Motor Battery died and needed replacement. -- Not Nitro's fault

11. Rod Locker leaks and two other compartments leak really really bad. -- Nitro's fault

12. More than a dozen Rock Chips on trailer. (Not really a warranty issue but enough to upset me. -- Nitro makes crappy trailers. They did go to Galva-Shield in 2005 though to prevent rust and maybe rock chips.

13. Warning Buzzer from engine would always go off once or twice during any outing. They replaced an impellor or something. Impeller is 100% Merc's issue.

14. Power Point Stopped working, something with a wire. Nitro's issue

15. Sticker on Trailer starting peeling off. Needed replacement -- Nitro's issue

16. Oil Injection unit needed replacement after a loud buzzer started going off. Merc's issue

As you can see, most of the issues are with industry standard components. Nitro's trailers are known to be problematic with rusting (again, hopefully fixed in 2005 models) and welds. Nitro's wiring is often complained about as well (wire gauge, quality, installation).

While I absolutely hate taking Nitro's side, most of the issues aren't their fault. ANY outboard issue can go to ANY Merc certified mechanic, doesn't have to go back to a Nitro dealer. Anything with the boat (not motor) or trailer does need to go back to a Nitro dealer.

Boats aren't like cars. They aren't set up perfect when they leave the dealer. There seem to always be little quirks that have to be ironed out, from livewell leaks to dry storage leaks to placement of certain items, etc. It's just not a science. If you're trying to trade in a 2004, you're going to take a BEATING.

Bill,

I see you live in Burton.....did you buy this from BPS in Auburn Hills???

Ken,

Actually, you should ask whether he bought the boat from Tracker Marine, located in BPS in Auburn Hills....:lol: BPS / Tracker Marine.... same building (most of the time).... two entirely seperate entities....:D

Glenn

Thanx Steve. I hear it called a 12v receptacle, not Power Point. I thought that was Microsoft....lol

Anyway, looks like we got the message across. I hope things work out for you Bill.

Mini

Glenn,

I'm very familiar with the corporate structure of the two entities.

LOL at Ken....

Glenn does not know your past life as a Tracker Employee!!!

Glenn,

I was the General Manager at that location for 3 years.

I left in spring of '03.

I have a 2004 929 and i am glad you brought up these trailer issues. I have had some trouble with trailer brakes sticking and the fender rivits came loose from the carpeted guides.

Cured the fender problem with a little glue which worked much better than the rivits. Other than that i haven't had a minute's trouble with my boat and it is run about 3 days a week in stump infested waters. I hate the MG 70 lb pro trolling motor with a passion.. it is junk!

I will get a Min Koda next winter. But other than that i am well satisfied with my 929.

I did buy this boat used so i have not had a dealer to deal with.

RW

Sounds like you have a lot of "dealer doesn't give a crap" issues with the amount of time they are taking to fix your problems. Do like Mike said and take your boat to another mercury dealer for motor problems. I live 6 miles from a BPS store and tracker marine service center, but will not take my motor there for repairs. I hear their mechanic is very good, but the desk guy is a pain in the butt. Some of the people

Pat's right, you're a really laid back guy to have battery problems the first trip out, not get your brand new boat back for 27 days, and not be in jail right now. It is ridiculous for them to have the boat in the shop for so much time for those minor issues. (I know the issues are major to you, but I'm talking about the time required to fix or repair them)

I have to agree that their trailers are not the high standard that I expected. I have had problems with my surge brakes ever since I got the boat. I had it down to BPS/Tracker Service Department in Detroit to have them fixed. Drove almost 5 hours to get it there and on the way back, problem started again. Not a very happy camper with that situation. I will have to pay for it myself even though it is a warranty issue, because it would probably cost me less to pay for it myself than it would cost me for gas to get it back down there and back.

Jon

Amen Woody, The dealer i bought my Nitro from is the #1 reason i will buy another one. Quality service goes a loooong way. I like my nitro, it has treated me well but if my dealer stopped selling them i doubt id buy another. I would but whatever brand they were selling instead.

BUT,,,,,,,,,,WHYINTHEHELL does Tracker/Nitro let it happen?:angry:

I've been and done it and didn't even get the dam t-shirt.

I'd be jerkin' some dealers license....bottom line is NO EXCUSE!:eek:

Would I buy another? Weeeeeellllll...ONLY if I knew it was a reputable dealer and had a lot of praise...which doesn't necessarily mean anything either:wacko:

Sorry to hear you are having so many problems, if you are not happy and can afford to get out of the boat do whatever is going to make you happy. You are supposed to enjoy your boat not dread going out in it or wonder what is going to break each time out.

If the dealership I bought my Ranger from was on fire I wouldn't offer them a cup of water to put it out, I got such a good deal on the boat there was no way I was walking away from it. After reading others that have posted here and on other boards comments on Ranger customer service I was confident that they would take care of me. So far Ranger Customer Service has made everything right with nothing more then a phone call and/or an email from me. They continue to impress me with their customer service every time I have a question need something. Last summer the arierator pump broke off at the hose and because I didn't want to go back to the dealer I bought my boat from, Ranger sent me the pump (got it the next day) and reimbursed me for the installation that I had done at a local dealer, (not Ranger). The local dealer, they sell Smokercraft, I took my boat to even found something small under the console that needed replacing during the spring check up, they did the repair Ranger authorized and paid the claim with one phone call. Ranger will back their product even if you get a crappy dealer. I wonder how many other manufactures would do that?

Cass :D

I can 2nd RW's view of the fender guide boards. One on my boards fell off the 1st time the boat hit the water. My selling dealer told me 2-3 weeks minimum to get a replacement. BPS in Gurnee had it delivered to my door step in less then a week for me to install (as I agreed to do to save time). When I removed the fender, I found only 1 of the 4 factory rivets found the steel fender (my dealer insinuated I must need to be trained on loading a boat!). I took both fenders off, & mounted the boards with recessed stainless bolts & nuts. Now they can't fall off without taking the entire fenders with them (in case I never learn how to load a boat!)!! (factory issue)

Other little things wrong were:

the GPS puck wasn't powered (dealer issue).

the trim gauge wasn't hooked up to the motor. (dealer issue)

shift linkage kinked. (dealer issue)

spare tire not ordered & installed upon delivery (dealer issue)

spare seat not ordered (dealer issue)

& the biggy>> Opti oil tank not filled by dealer pre-delivery!!

all in all, a fine boat (2004 Targa 17 DC/Opti 115), sub-standard dealer prep!

Mark

Sorry Ken - was just pokin a little fun.... didn't mean to offend if I did. Were you the GM of BPS or Tracker? The GM of the Hampton BPS is top notch, and a great guy to deal with. Annnnddd... I'll stop there and leave it at that before finishing the other half of that sentence.

Glenn

Ken was GM of Tracker Marine Service and Sales in Auburn Hills. Mac and I were on his Pro Staff.

Mini

And I was Ken's double uni-knot tying beeee-ottcchhhh at the rally last year!! LOL!!

Bob G.

I know of a Z20 you can get for a good price this fall....:)

Mac your gonna have to auction it with all the potential buyers!

Mini

Now that you have sold it, it will never give him a minutes trouble. You can bank on it, I've seen it happen a hundred times!!;)

TOXIC

Glad its all working out for you Bill....

Now about that Ranger trailer......I am not kidding, check the calipers, make certain they are tight.

Mini

Latest posts

Back