GM Truck Plant in Pontiac closing

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
Well, I know the news is bad for many GM Employees, Suppliers and others that are connected to the automaker. Personally, was very surprised that the HUGE Pontiac Truck Plant (in Pontiac, MI) is slated to be closed by October.

I stayed at the Marriott Residence Inn right next door to it, many many times over the past year. Makes me wonder what HP/EDS will do with the Pontiac Office site for EDS, which is 'next door', so-to-speak. I know that HP/EDS is getting ready to 'shutter' at least one of their offices in Auburn Hills, but not sure about others. Kinda wondering why we haven't heard from Ross Perot on all of this.

Still have very mixed feelings about all of this. Having the Goverment own 60% of GM, is not a good thing - don't care what the 'plans' are. Also, as many people indicated last year, why did 'we' spend so much money - when it was plain to see that the enivitable was going to happen anyway.

And last but not least - President Obama's 'date night' with his wife, jetting to NYC for the evening, was 'passed on' in large part by the media. If our goverment can be indigant about Auto Exec's taking private planes to a Washington DC meeting, why can't everyone be indignant about this trip. Don't care that they only took the 'small jet'.

Tex

Pick-ups aren't selling at the numbers required to keep the plant open......they'll build enough to meet current demand in the other plant in Indiana. There's a ton of "inside" info that when into making that decision...most of which I don't know...but you can bet that over-all quality rankings played a part as well as relationships with the UAW local's and average age of work force, grievances on record, etc..etc.

The Gov't wants OUT of the auto industry...they'll only own 60% long enough to get their $$ back and then they'll sell their shares.....they have NO INTEREST in managing day to day operations,...they spent the $$$ to give GM enough time to make the changes required to minimize the pain and the long term affects. IF they would've let GM go down 6 mos. ago,..it would've been a LOT worse, with a LOT more job losses and a LOT longer to recover, and it would've cost the us economy a LOT more money. It's the old "Pay a LOT now,...or PAY A LOT MORE LATER", scenario.

As far as Obama and his wife flying to NYC for the evening......is there ANY group on earth more hypicritical than our current National leaders?? Pelosi jetting back and forth every week to CA. is never an issue either......the "press" and the Congress will only make a big deal out of something when it's politically advantageous for them to do so. There's no "news" in the Obama's going out to dinner..........but the BIG 3 asking for "loans" is. Why?? Because the press says so!!! LOL:angry::blink::wacko:

Govment will SCREW IT UP! Just like everything else:angry:

Let's just hope they don't make us build a bunch of miniscule fuel sipping crap nobody wants to buy!!!:angry: My next vehicle will be either a P/U or an SUV that I will BUY...I'm gonna get something that wil pull a boat,..and I'll keep it!! I might even get 2, cuz it'll be a cold day in hades before I let my wife drive anything like those POS "Smart Cars"....my lord what a waste of a vehicle...that's a coffin on lawn mower tires!:eek::wacko:

GM is already in the works with a Chinese manufacturer and a GM label...WTF?

Are we ever gonna learn?:(

Assembly plants in Pontiac, Mich., and Wilmington, Del., will close this year, while plants in Spring Hill, Tenn., and Orion, Mich., will shut down production but remain on standby.

Powertrain plants in Livonia, Flint and Ypsilanti Township, Mich. will close next year, along with plants in Parma, Ohio, and Fredericksburg, Va.

Stamping plants in Indianapolis and Mansfield, Ohio, also will close. A stamping plant in Pontiac, Mich., will be idled but remain in a standby capacity.

GM says it will also close service and parts warehouses in Boston, Jacksonville, Fla., and Columbus, Ohio, by the end of this year.

Mac - "Let's just hope they don't make us build a bunch of miniscule fuel sipping crap nobody wants to buy!!!" Thats my fear, if they do (have a feeling with majority ownership the Democratic congress/Pres will force that, and for those who want/need larger vehicles and/or engines will end up buying more Toyota/Nissan/Kia/Hyndai as they have already been building plants in the US making the large SUV/Pickups for the US market...

Trep, don't worry about your trucks and SUVs. Comrade, we will be strapping Kayaks on top of our 3 wheeled go-carts.

I've heard that GM will try to force us to buy their overseas subcompact junk by raising gas taxes thru the roof!

Good Luck:angry:

Put your crack pipe away TEE,...LOL....GEEEZ,....if GM had ANY control whatsoever in Gas prices or taxes,...we'd ALL be driving Suburban's and Tahoes and paying $1.50/gallon for gas!!!

GM will not be importing the China car. They will be building it here, with American workers. Part of the "bringing jobs back" clause of the loans.

It has not been determined which plant will build them, but Pontiac and Orion have been named as possible plants for production.

Mac you big dummy!:lol: I wasn't talkin' GM raises taxes...it's already on the news:rolleyes:

It doesn't matter Mini....I won't be in line for one regardless of where the gas prices go.

The stamping plant in Mansfield ,Ohio is my home town where I grew up . I know Alot of people that work out there. :(

Latest posts

Back