Gas Smell in Rod Storage, Scratch

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Thoe

Reaction score
I was looking at a used 2008 Nitro Z6 yesterday. Boat is in great condition. Only exceptions are 3 small scratches close together on the bottom and the rod storage compartments on the left and right smell of gas vapors.

I have looked into the gas smell. It seems some boats have that issue and others don't, even if they are 2 of the same model. Does anyone have any suggestions? Should this stop me from purchasing this boat?

How much of a an issue is a few small 1 inch scratches on the bottom? It's only a paint scratch, no body damage. Is there any long term issues if I don't have it repaired?

Sorry if these issues have been covered previously on this forum. I looked around for awhile and didn't see anyone with the same question. Thanks for any input!:)

I probably wouldn't worry about the scratches, but I would take it in and have the

gas lines checked. There has been a lot of discussion about ethanol eating gas lines, but I'm not sure if an '08 would already have that problem. I have an 08 Z7 and I don't have gas vapors in my rod lockers.

Dan,

I just purchased the same setup and there is a gas smell but it was because of storage. It runs great. The guy I purchased it from had the tank full when he stored it, to reduce the vapor space.

I have an 07 Nitro 591 (Z7) and have the same issue. Upon returning from the lake I open the rod lockers and rear storage hatches and leave them open until I go fishing again. If I leave it buttoned up it will smell like gas in both rod lockers.

After several visits to the Dealer and having all the lines checked he offered to install vents in my rear deck...I passed on his offer as that is only a band aid at best.

To date no one has offered an explanation or solution.

Latest posts

Back