Gas Fireplace - Help

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven Parker

Reaction score
I can't get the fireplace to start. I don't hear or smell any gas coming out of the lines. We did run the gas tank dry this summer and had to have it re-filled and the pilot light on the water heater re-lit.

Do I need to prime the gas line to the fireplace since we ran out of gas?

Any help would be appreciated.

the gas pressure will purge the gas line in a few minutes depending on the length of the line.

is your log set electronic ignition or a standing pilot????

you may have a valve in the floor near the FP or a valve in the firebox!

The gas control on the log set will not allow gas to the set unless it is pushed in during the light off stage (on some models)

Give me some more input and i can tell you more!!!!

KB

Bama Steve,

More than likely, as KB pointed out, there is probably another valve that needs to be opened. Mine is beside the fireplace, and requires a "key" to turn the valve. Without the key installed, it just looks like a little chrome plate in the wall with a metal rod flush inside of it.

Sorry to hijack... but I have some related questions. I turned my gas fireplace off two years ago since my young son was trying to play near it. I bolted the metal grill in place so he couldn't get to it, closed the flue, and shut off the gas at the wall valve.

I'd like to light it off again this year as he is not here and we are selling the house... but I have no directions. It has a pilot that constantly burns until I open the log valve, and then it lights the logs.

1) Should I get a chimney sweep done? Do those guys even exist anymore? If not, do I need to clean the chimney in any way?

2) Does the flue have to remain open with the pilot light on, or just when I light the logs? If the flue has to be open all the time... I ain't turning this thing back on, as my living room gets cold when the logs aren't burning.

3) Any other maintenance that should be done before I light it off?

All the best,

Glenn

It depends on what type of gas log system you have. If it's a ventable then you must open up the flue. If it's not keep it closed and you won't lose no heat. Just make sure that the gas logs are set right and the piping is clean and secure. With the pilot light there will be no danger or gas escaping. I use mine here in south Lousisana and it's cheaper that burning logs.

Barry from La.

The only time you really have to be concerned with having the chimney sweep out to clean your flue is if you burn wood. The Creole-sole builds up and can catch on fire. So if it is gas the best thing you can do safety wise is get a CO detector from your home improvement store and place it in the same room as the fire place on an opposite wall. As the guy's said above there are usually two separate gas shot-offs in the supply line. It will take awhile for the gas to bleed through the system as well. It will seem like a very long time but as soon as you smell the mercaptan (the rotten egg smell) you will know you are ready!

Good Luck and Be safe!

The Dragon

Bama my old logs would do that after I ran the tank dry. Someone said I had air in the line and sure enough after about an hour of messing with the pilot it would work.

Not to hijack either but.....My logs will kick off after about 10 minutes. Seems like when they get good and warm the pilot goes out. And I cannot get it to stay lit untill they cool down (or at least it seems like) This set does not have a thermostat, I have cleaned the pilot with alchol (rubbing lol) and the tank is at 65%. Anyone have a clue to what is up??

If you have a standing pilot...(stays lit) the thermal coupling may be bad...If you don't know what one is, it looks like a small piece of copper about 1/4" in diameter about 2-3" long, that the tip of is in, or near the pilot flame

It senses the pilot flame and allows gas to the burner... if bad, it will shut of the gas supply.

KB

After an LP appliance has been off for a period of time it's not unusual to have a small spider build a nest in the pilot assembly. Just take it apart and clean it. Also some times the pilot orifice will corrode and just needs to be cleaned out with a small needle. Be careful not to enlarge the hole. If the fire goes out after it's been burning awile, it could be that the thermocouple is weak or not in the pilot flame well enough. Sometimes you have to adjust the pilot hood or the thermocouple mount to correct it.

Gene

Latest posts

Back