Frosted Flakes

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Hofman

Reaction score
I'm just a bit frosted at Bass Pro right now.

Got a mailer advertisement a couple of weeks ago showing a Sig Sauer Mosquito (.22 auto) was on sale for $399, with the bonus of an extra clip and a composite (plastic) paddle holster. The photo of the pistol was for a two-tone stainless,composite pistol. Below it was just a number (SKU) but no other disclaimer. I really liked the look of the two-tone and have wanted a stainless/composite frame pistol for awhile. When I showed to my wife she said, "Go ahead." I was pumped.

:cool:

Drove out to Bass Pro (25 miles) to take a look. Turns out that ONLY the blued/composite version is the combo package for $399. The two-tone pistol does not come with the extra clip nor the holster and sells for $20 more. I showed the ad to the salesman who called the department manager. That guy said, "Sorry. Just the blued version is discounted; not the two tone." and referenced the SKU number in the ad.

I challenged the logic on the basis that the reader doesn't know what SKU number goes with what pistol, that for all I knew the SKU number WAS for the two-tone and said, "If only the blued pistol is packaged and on sale, why is it a photo of a two-tone?" No answer. They only had one two-tone in stock and I asked that it be put on hold while I got my paperwork through the county police. Was told they don't put items on hold.

Got a phone call on the way home and the first saleman told me that they went ahead and put the two-tone in the vault and asked that I keep him informed as I went through the permit process. I did. I even called back twice to make sure the pistol was still on hold.

Today I called out, confirmed that the two-tone was still there, and drove out for the second time with my paperwork in-hand.

When the salesperson went back to get the pistol, out comes a 9mm Sig! :huh: It's not even the right model! The SKU number was only one digit off the one for the Mosquito. There are no two-tone Mosquitos in stock, which meant I would have to order one, wait however many days, then drive back out a third time (at $3.30 a gallon!). So I ended up buying the blued pistol package. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with the gun but I am absolutely ticked at the person who made the decision to use the two-tone picture in the ad, even though the SKU number was for the blued pistol.

If it isn't deceptive advertising on the part of Bass Pro Shops, it sure was misleading. I've got enough information I'm considering filing a complaint with the States Attorney General's Office under our state's truth-in-advertising law.

Tell me I should just calm down and that this isn't that big of a deal.

AAARRRRGGGGGGG!!!!!:angry:

Calm down it isn't that big of a deal. Seriously it sounds like a pain in the butt, but you gotta remember that mistakes do happen. Next time you get into a deal like this I'd ask for the store manager, they can do some stuff that the clerks can't.

I would write the store manager a nice letter, detailing the entire incident... ending with "choices are... ask you to honor the original deal... two tone at $399 (and a full refund on the comp/blue pistol) or ask the Missouri Attorney General to give an opinion as to whether or not you have engaged in deceptive advertising... I was thoroughly inconvenienced by your store's negligence and would not pursue this except as a last resort for the intransigent attitude and carelessness of your employees"

Do not accept lousey customer service or all of us will pay in the end...

While mistakes do happen, it is incumbent on the business to bear the cost of the mistake, not pass it off to an individual consumer. That we have become accustomed to accepting this is the rationale for the stroe's failure to deal with and rectify the mistake.

In situations like this the manager can obtain the original deal you made. This has happened at our store but on this particular modle. The customer was given a $25 gift card for their inconvience. There are plenty of the stainless slide modles in the BPS system. I know we have at least three or more at my store. These can be shipped Fex X overnight from store to store.

Step one. Contact the manger of the store. He should do the rest. Be sure to politely explain your inconvience. The rest should just happen. The managers are hard wired to do what it takes to keep customers happy. This is the way it happens at the store I work at.

fatrap

I agree with Greg. I think the mistake is a little over the top. Not long ago they advertised a Johnny Morris baitcaster for $79.95. The picture in the flyer was the shinny chrome JLM of a year or two ago. When i got to the store, what they had was some of the old frame JLM's (I had to go all the way back to the 2003 catalog to find the same design) and they weren't even chrome they were a satin silver color. I went ahead and bought it thinking what the heck a 10 bearing reel for 80 bucks, I don't care if it's purple. I've seen similar mistakes in variations in what the picture looks like and what the reality really is. They just get a picture that's almostkindasortagoodenough close and go to press.

I'd talk to the manager and ask him to look at it through your point of view and if he's unable or unwilling to help I'd go to the AG and the BBB.

Good luck.

Harpo

P.S. It's turned out to be an excellent reel by the way ;)

It IS a big deal.....and a common practice.....just another example of "The Man" bringing us down!!! ;)

I guess it comes down to if it was a misprint (wrong photo) or the old bait and switch? I doubt the people who put the ads and pics together know the difference between a glock and a male chicken.

BF

MOFish Why in the world did you buy the blued pistol pk. they got what they wanted "your money" there are lots of other places to buy a gun. You might of been able to get what you wanted at some other time & place. Thats why they do this kind of thing because they know they will get away with it & get your money anyway. Just me thoughts.:wacko:

Still their mistake Bruce and they should make it right. I would have talked to the manager and would have gotten what was advertised and what I wanted or I would go into Annapolis and talk to the States Attorney. I just can't see BPS not making these things right. I have never had a problem with my local BPS or anything from the catalog. MOFish, I'd yell and holler until I got what I originally wanted.

Uncle Billy

Sounds like one of my regular shopping days at BPS. That type of "mistake" and that type of "service" seems to happen every other time I go in that store.

I fondly remember the old days when guys like Dan Jorgensen would always go the extra mile for me. I know BPS has gotten bigger, and that brings new problems, but they have lost a lot of what they originally brought to the table.

The solution? I rarely go anymore. I got tired of the wrong service and the wrong answers.

Mike, I don't doubt that your department is good. You wouldn't be there if they weren't. Unfortunately, the entire organization doesn't move like that anymore.

Wow most of you guys must not shopt for autos via the pictures in the classifieds. Never fails. Truck shown is a 4x4 2500 hd, but the ad is for a 1500 work truck. :(

I don't even go to BPS anymore for many, many reasons and #1 is CS !

Dumasses can't even get me a catalog that I have called about for 3 YEARS and even called Headquaters......nadda! Never anything in stock...ESPECIALLY anything that's advertised.

:angry:

Wow! Guess it varies widely from store to store. Like Uncle Billy, I've not had a problem at the Baltimore BPS. Nice folks, always willing to help. I've exchanged a BPS reel and rod on separate occasions. Both were well over a year old, but they were always swapped out with a smile and a "no problem" attitude. When I returned the reel, I even mentioned specifically that the BPS reel was purchased over a year ago and I no longer had the receipt. The saleman's reply with a smile - "Don't worry, I know you didn't buy it at Cabela's!"

I'll say it, "BPS Cincy SUCKS"! PERIOD!:angry:

Either they don't care...or they hire some of the crappiest pieces of work they can find!

I'm down now;)

The Nashville BPS is actually prety good. I've had really good experiences there like ordering stuff they are out of and holding it for me, and making good on defective products (it happens). In the fishing area nearly all the guys back there fish, so maybe they just "get it". I nearly did have one bad experience where a department clerk said "sorry" on something that had broken, but I asked the return clerk to get a manager for me. She said go shop around a little and come back and see me. When I got back she had already talked to the MGR, and we were good to go. I guess this experience must vary from store to store.

Guys

Contact the manager. Explain the situation. It's the only way things will get better. Ofcourse I can ony speak for the store where I work. I know all the depts pretty well. Top notch. Our manager has a history of firing anyone who habitually makes him or the store look bad. I've seen stuff people have brought back that was abused and wrecked. It was replaced. Stuff bought from other stores has been given store credit. It is continuously stress "Customer First" If an associate has a problem leave it outside the door. ANyway............

We had a new Cablelas open across the Missouri (pronounced misery)River. I have heard many tales of poor customer service and have experienced it as well. I frequently stop at the Mitchell S.D. Cabelas on my annual pilgrimage for Oahe walleyes. That Cabela's is top drawer IMO so maybe it boils down to management.

Kind of makes me feel bad for you all and I will pass on the info to Jim Goff our GM.

Mike G aka

fatrap

It absolutely varies from store to store,...it SHOULDN'T, but it does,...like Rich said,..it's a result of BPS growing so fast and losing some of the "personal touch" that came when they were much smaller. I travel all over the country for BPS doing classics and GrdOpng's and I see the "differences" from store to store all over the place. Some stores are absolutely AWESOME and it's a direct result of their local mgt being "involved at every level because of their past experience" especially with the smaller stores! AND,..I've seen some things over the years that make me wonder HOW & WHY they're still in business......again, largely a result of their local mgt's level of experience dealing with the general public. I feel your pain though MoFish,..I can't stand it when certain items are "pictured", and advertised as a special but the actual item on sale is NOT the one in the picture!! Check out a car dealerships ad's sometimes,...talk about deception...HOLY #@~!!...(Their legal "out" is usually stated so in the small print buried somewhere in the ad) or it's a sales technique used to "up sell" a better and/or more expensive item......"Yes Sir, this model is on sale for $69.95, BUT,..we're currently out of stock and I don't know when we'll be getting more in..I can give you a rain-check if you'd like....OR,...you can get THIS model which is actually MUCH better for several reasons,,,, yada yada,..and we DO have several of those in stock!!" That happens EVERYWHERE with all kinds of retailers...especially big-box stores, whether they're selling cars and trucks, tackle, sporting goods, refrigerators or toys!! Is it worth the hassle of telling the Attny General?? Hell no...what are they gonna REALLY do for you besides give you additional lip service and put you on their political "must call during re-election campaign time" list!!:angry: Start with the Departmental Mgr and then go UP from there until you get what you want,......that will work in your favor locally, long before going from the top down will....we ALL know what happens at the "TOP" (i.e. AG's office)...it all get's "delegated" to the next lower level!! Then, if it's not lost in translation along the way resulting in NO ACTION taken anyway.., it's just another pimple on somebody else's rear, and so on and so on...:(

Anytime this happens in the future,..my advice is to take it up with the stores' Departmental Mgr first,..then if that doesn't work, go to the Ass't Gen Mgr...then finally the Gen Mgr. I can pretty much GUARANTEE you, that your issue will be resolved to your satisfaction before you ever have to go OVER the Gen Mgr's head,...because THAT's the kind of feedback that WILL affect their yearly bonus..;) catch my drift?? The AG's office and BBB will not help resolve your "personal issue".....but the store's General Mgr has a personal financial interest in 100% customer satisfaction so the buck WILL stop there.

I just got fed up Mac...

Three or more years just rying to get a catalog?:wacko:

That's just the beginning of where I could go on about BPS Cincy....but, I don't have enough time or patience with them anymore.

I live 50+ miles away from them and if something is advertised...they say they have it...you go to get and.......NADA!

Not once...many times and I've talked to these people till I'm blue in the face...to no avail!

Not dissin' here Mac...but, do we even want to step in the arena about BPS/Tracker/Nitro/JohnnyMorris and the trouble that I had with them and what alot of people are still dealing with today ?

Just saddening really:(

And yes, it happens everywhere.

Do we have to put up with it and waste our valuable time? HELL NO!:wub:

I go up the chain of command, then check quarterly reporting for VP's names and start sending letters to them. Rarely do I not get my issues resolved. BPS store managers have always solved my problems and I haven't had to go higher with them, yet.

I agree their customer service is slipping, starting with their reaction to upset customers. Delegating decision making to folks on the floor is the hallmark of a good customer service outfit. BPS isn't there right now.

No sweat TEE,...I know you're not rippin' on me....i've just had really good luck dealing with the people at the Detroit BPS and i've never had to go any higher than the stores GM for any local issue.,...most of the time the Dept. Mgr will take care of it,...I don't even have to go past them, and when/if I do, it's to pass on a kudo or two,.....I like to let them know when a employee is doing a really GOOD job too!! Who doesn't like a pat on the back now and then,..especially when it comes from their BOSS via a customer's feedback!! THAT motivates them a lot more than a reaming!! LOL

They use to carry alot of tackle but, for some oddball reason during the winter they moved EVERYTHING!

I swear the tackle department has been downsized. Selection of rod and reels is pitiful and last time I went for my favorite spinner...nowhere to be found. Not even in a different color.

Looked for some cranks I needed..same story.

I talked to the manager and he told me that he thought the fishing dept. was bigger:wacko:

Although he'd only worked there a few months:blink:

How far a trip is it up your way from Dayton dude ?

I'm ready to whup up on em';)

My experiance with BPS has been very good. I go in there all the time not only to buy fishing stuff but also clothes and some times shoes too. I do believe the guys at the electronics counter could be trained a little better. I've never had any issue with any of the customer service personal concerning a return.

There is one guy named BJ that's kind of a trouble maker....:p:lol:

Harpo

Heck they need a guy like BJ at Cincy;)

I thought this thread was about Cereal or Tony the Tiger?

Thanks guys.

Bottom line: it's too late. Paperwork is already filed showing me as owner. Like I said, I'm happy with the pistol and I did make a decision to buy it rather than raise a stink in the store with the manager over something that wasn't in stock anyway just to save myself the hassle of making a third trip out to St. Charles.

But I've learned my lesson. Call first. Ask lots of questions over the phone, especially about the mysterious SKU number to learn what is really being advertised. The call again to see if its in stock. Then call again to see if it's REALLY in stock according to the SKU number.

Then make an informed purchase, but apply all your Bass Pro Points and those on your wife's Bass Pro Card. Don't buy anything else in the store that day using your Bass Pro credit card.

Go home. :rolleyes:

Call and cancel your Bass Pro credit card and Rewards account. ;)

Go online and open a Cabela's credit card account. :eek:

Start shopping at the new Cabela's that opened up not too far from the Bass Pro store. :D

'Nuf said.

Oh...BTW...I remember how all this started with me!

When I started calling about the catalog problem. I didn't friggin' exsist in their system and lost all my points and had to start from scratch! :angry:

I'm over it. But it won't happen again. I can't control BPS or how its employees do their jobs. I can control how well I research something on sale before I act on impulse, and I can control my own attitude....

...most times anyway.

Latest posts

Back