For you shooters that like .22's - Snap caps!

• Thread starter Glenn DesOrmeaux
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TritonGlenn

Reaction score
I know we have quite a few hunters / shooters on this board, so I thought I'd share this with them.

I shoot quite a bit. When I'm not shooting, I periodically practice shooting at home with snap caps. It helps with weapon control and trigger pull. It has really improved my shooting over the years. I do it regularly with my .40's and 9mm's.

However... I also like my .22's. I have a bunch of them, but I really like shooting my Ruger Single Six .22 magnum and my Ruger MK III 22/45 .22LR. Problem is - nobody that I know of makes snap caps for them. A few companies make "dummy rounds", but they aren't really made for dry firing, as they are solid with no give. In other words... they will probably eventually wear out your firing pin.

Well, yesterday I saw someone else post something on a gun board that made me do a double take. They use yellow colored plastic "Wall Anchors", size 4-6, in all of their .22's for dry-fire practice. Get this - not only do they work GREAT (I put them in my pistols today. You can see the impact marks on the rims of the anchors), but the lip size is exactly perfect, so your firearm's ejectors will actually pull them out of the chamber like a real round when you use them! Cost - $2.49 for a 10 pack at Lowes.

Happy Shooting!

All the best,

Glenn

Just in case you want a picture of what I'm talking about, this is the original posters picture from the other site:

P7030017.jpg

Dumb question - What happens if you dry fire without the anchor?

On some firearms, not much at all, unless it's done excessively. On others, the firing pin hits the inside of the chamber by the lip and could damage the firing pin or worse yet - the actual barrel chamber.

All the best,

Glenn

Glenn, thanks a ton!!!! I put together a 22 cal Glock. I purchased a Glock 19 frame, and an advantage arms kit for the glock 19. In bold print it says do not dry fire. Only when removing the slide is it o.k. to do so. I do not practice at home with it, however I do shoot it alot, so it must be taken down to clean. Off to Lowes, tommorrow.

Bubby:)

Dry firing in centerfires doesn't really do that much to a modern firearm. Snap caps makes sure nothing happens. On a rimfire, however, it should be avoided as muchs as possible. The area on the edge of the chamber where the flat firing pin strikes will eventually becomed scored and a burr will develope causing the entire cartridge to not seat all the way into the chamber. Hence no "bang bang" and you see me to have me use my .22 chamber reamer to remove the damage. Also remember the pin is harder than the metal it's striking.

fatrap

Picked some up today. They work great, and the extractor ejects it cleanly.

Bubby:)

Dammit Boy! you are smrt!!!! Thanks Glenn! I've got 2 of those "Single Six"s and I'll sure start practicing with them. been keeping them in the box.

Glad you all liked the idea. I've been enjoying them too!

JSkid,

Shoot them things man! My single six combo .22mag / .22lr is as old as I am (I'm in my 40's). She's an old 3 screw Ruger that I finally had the Ruger recall performed on about two years ago. I always shoot .22mag out of it and seldom use the .22lr cylinder. After all the weapons I've been through, she's still one of my favorites.

All the best,

Glenn

Latest posts

Back