Flouracarbon and knot

• Thread starter Jimmy Easterling
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy Easterling

Reaction score
I have been using BPS XPS flouracarbon line for a while now and have been pleased with the line and knot strength in the 15 and 17 pound test. I started using the 8# on the spinning reel and get a lot of break offs. So the question is what brand line in the 8# test and what knot do you like?

For my 8# braid to flouro leader applications I use Power Pro and a Uni to Uni knot connection. One thing with most every brand flouro at the hook or lure connection is to be wary or avoid using a Palomar knot. If the flouro crosses itself during the tie it will burn a weak spot on the cinch down or as it tightens during use. The first and only flouro I've used that breaks this reasoning is Seaguar's new Tatsu. I have tied every knot I know with it (even including overhands and square knots) and had it hold very well, if not to the listed breaking strength. This stuff has been amazing to me. I spent the past week cranking square bills around cypress stumps and debris in zero to four feet of water and only retied my plugs out of habit, not from fear of weakness or nicks/frays on 10# Tatsu spooled. This line is the best flouro I've used, but the retail will make your jaw drop. Good luck! ;)

Jimmy,

Seaguar was the brand I was talking about on the other site (the first fluorocarbon line I ever used). A little spool of 10lb test was ridiculously expensive, and I only used it for leaders. It was fairly stiff, but as Dan J mentioned above - I could tie any knot I wanted in it, and the stuff never broke. I used 30lb braid with 10lb Seaguar fluorocarbon leaders for my Carolina Rigs for many years, and never had a knot problem.

I can't help you on the fluorocarbon for spinning reels, as I have never found one that was limp enough for my liking to put on a spinning reel. I have been using 30lb Spiderwire Invisibraid on my spinning reels, and I really enjoy it. I added a fluorocarbon leader during a tournament just to see if it would make a difference, but the only thing it did was annoy me. I like to reel up my lure to just under my tip to make a cast, and with the joining of the lines, the knot always sounded like rocks coming through my guides. I cut it off and continued to catch fish on the Invisibraid.

All the best,

Glenn

I use all the bps fluoro sizes and I only use an advanced clinch/cinch whatever knot and never had any breakage issues.

I have no idea what the name of the knot is but: twice through the eye, 6 wraps, back through the hole in the line at the eye and through the big loop, wet and cinch, if that makes any since. After I posted this I came across this web post and will try this knot tomorrow on the river. I have used the Seaguar 15# for cranking and didn't have any problems other than paying for it. Thanks, I think I may have to order some more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGZ8SBI8sGI

Jimmy - I believe you are describing a Double Clinch (or Cinch) knot and I believe is a good choice with any flouro. Good luck! ;)

For whats its worth I been using the p-line floroclear (flourcarbon) 8 lb test on my openface spinning reels for about a year and a half. Best i have found for this application. knot strength is very good if you use a doubled clinch knot with a least six wraps. Best knot I have found by farrrr for this line!

Brantley

Latest posts

Back