Fishing with Mickey Bruce

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob LaMoy

Reaction score
Well as many of you know Mickey Bruce, an 11 time Classic qualifier called me on Thursday night while everyone was over for the BBQ. He wanted to to go out and pick my brain on the lake for the FLW. I was a little hesitant given my last encounter with a pro. Let me just say, that I decided to go ahead, and pick HIS brain that the same time, about the circuit, sponsorships, overall patterns, and to see if he would attack my lake the same way I would this time of year. Mickey and his family are terrific. I met his wife Suzie and his son John who is fishing the co-angler side. Their room-mate Pat, was also there. A young guy, but the to dog in the eastern division and apparently a formidable threat at this tourney. Anyhow, Mickey, John, and myself had a great day on the water, and put together a pattern that I think will give him a place in the semi-finals of the top 20 of 175. To say that we were surrounded was an understatement. At one point we were about 250 yards from Rick Clunn and though I badly wanted to go over to meet him, and Mickey picked up on that, I knew it was not proper as Rick was clearly coming into fish of his own. I know Mickey took away a half dozen GPS way points for some good spots I gave him with quality fish. He also reminded me of a spot I had long forgotten about that I used to fish as a kid. Within 2 casts he had a 4 lber and proceeded to load the boat with 3 + lbers. A good spot to put in my back pocket for the next tourney! Anyhow, I couldn't charge him as it was beyond the cut-off and he'd be DQ'd but I will be stopping back out later this week and he promised me some LuckyCraft baits. Buzz, you were right, had I paid enough attention when you were throwing them....those things are great, but EXPENSIVE! $17 a piece is a lot to feed a pike! Well I learned as much from him or more than he got from me, and YES I did hold my own in a boat with Mickey Bruce, and did it from the BACK of the boat simply out of principle! Next week I work Wed-Sat for Bill Taylor of the FLW and ESPN2. If anyone is out and about, let me know. We launch early each AM at Mooney Bay marina near the Pt au Roche launch and weigh-in, may have been moved. I will post it later. BTW, rode in Mickey's 21 1/2 ft Stratos w/ 250 HPDI.......I'll STILL take a 929 over that any day. Squirrely riding rig man! Fast but ALL over the place!

Oh, and you find jerks on the pro circuit as well. At one point I took Mickey to a nice little rock pile that is easily missed. 3 big sponsor boats about a 1/4 mile up the lake were tied up talking and watching. A Crown royal, kellogs, and conseco. Well the crown royal guy, a guy Mickey says fishes "bent rod" patterns, in other words rides around until he sees a bent rod and THEN starts fishing YOUR water...well he started following us. And copying us to the letter. Same depth, boat positiion, he even tried to get close enough to see what soft plastics we were throwing. Any dummy could see the jerkbaits, but this guy followed us for about 2 hours to THREE different spots, miles apart! Mickey got mad and drove right by his boat, just glaring! What a jerk, hope Mickey whoops him good and leaves him behind as he makes the semi's. Also saw KVD, briefly as he went by at about 100 MPH!!! Ha, those Nitro's that King, Clunn, and Van Dam run are NOT stock, I can promise you that! LOL

What a great day you had. You should have pulled out the old camera and got a few snapshots of all those guys no matter how far away they were.

I hope the guy following you has engine problems in the tournament. There is nothing worse than "bottom dwellers" hornin in on your spot or technique.

Even if Mickey doesn't do well I'm sure you both had a great pre-fish trip.

Bear

I'm sorry? Jason, don't know if you're serious or joking, but either way, please refrain on the site a little. If you're serious, I don't even know who you are, so sorry. And I probably don't want to know what j/k means, but you have a nice day ok? LOL

Rob,

I am off work next week. Let me know where/when on the FLW weigh-ins. I might drive over for one of them. Maybe the final. I don't know what "j/k man" is either!! Maybe I'm too old!!

Bob G.

Rob,

You can also call me. 802-893-1601. I still have your number.

Bob G.

No problem. Wasn't sure for a minute there. I know there are a few folks that might actually think that the other way! That's what I get for speaking my mind from time to time. LOL

Bob, No boat until Monday, but I will call you and let you know where the weigh-in is.

those must have been the 10 boats we seen on the way home sunday.there was 5 on each trailer all painted up fancy and covered up,plus the 2 other boats being pulled bu matching colored trucks.

Mickey and John Bruce are some pretty nice guys. Also pretty good fisherman....Rob, is Mickey still clean shaven?

Mini

Cmon Pierre, dont make me send anymore pictures of REAL fishing partners to you. I hate to have all those Hooter's girls signing model release forms before I post their pics on the net...lol

When I was in Florida I had a few beers with Mickey and John at Roland's Tiki Hut and since it was the first tournament of the New Year alot of people actually did not recognize a clean shaven Mickey. When asked why he shaved it, he said it was because he fished better without it! I was wondering if it was still holding true....lol

Mini

Guess not. We pulled out next to Roland's sunnn one day. Seems like an OK guy, (must be his mom in him) LOL Mickey and John were of the like mind to me when it comes to Roland. The only pro I don't like. Rude as they come. Last year Denny told me, "ah, that's just Roland" LOL Guess he didn't like my helicopter comment at the last 150 in front of Dewey, Fish, and 200 fans! LOL Serves him right for being so rude to this yankee redneck!

I will reserve comment on Roland. I have never had a run in on the water with him. I didnt like to see his show in 99 on St Clair though.....

Mini

I just call it like I see it, and call a spade, a spade! He is one of less than a handfull of pros that I don't like. The rest are great guys like you and I. BTW, Mickey rememberd you. It was on Okechobee right? He laughed when I mentioned the beard thing.

Yep Okeechobee.....his son fished with Chuck one day of the tourney. I dumped the boat in for them while I was there.

Mini

It was the first 150 on Champlain out of Burlington VT. I was asked by Dewey to help with the weigh-in. Roland had showed up at the guide service I sometimes sub-contract for at 6:00 am looking for guide earlier that week. He was told, "no" that we were all busy with prebooked clients. So he asked the clients if they minded if he "followed" in his boat. Well it was Roland don't ya know, they said, "sure!" He promised the guy a couple of rods after the tourney, (the guy just called us last month wanting US to explain where the rods were that were promised 4 years ago! LOL) Well he "followed" all right, and was put on a great largemouth, fall jig bite. At the final day weigh-in, after I weighed his bag, I wanted to ask him about the circuit, but he just blew me off, and was very rude. I won't repeat here what I think he said under his breath. Keep in mind that I had spoken with Denny Brauer, Larry Nixon, Kevin Van Dam, and few other BIG names and they were all terrific, but not good old Roland, he was too good for the little old local boy! Well, as he walked back down to the docks with a parade of fans, also being blown off, and a half dozen press members, I yelled, "Hey ROLAND" he quickly turned with all the press, "How many times did you throw the helicpoter for that limit?" LOL If looks could kill, I'd be dead about 10 times over, but boy it felt good, and it got quite a laugh from everyone that heard it! Mess with this yankee and you're gonna get it see! LOL

Great story, Rob...have heard similiar comments about "the legend in his own mind".

It's funny you bring up that show, Mini. Was thinking about LSC the other day and found a tape of some old fishing shows I have about the lake. Roland's was one of them...for the life of me I can't figure out why they would air his 10 minute diatribe about rude boaters. Much more interesting things could've made the final cut!

Well we HAVE to lead the nation in rude boaters....

Saw a 16 foot Lund almost get run over today. Guy in a 40 foot cat was 50 feet of his stern @ 60+ MPH......

Mini

He did have a few run ins with a local live baiter in 99. The day after he weighed a 23 pound plus sack.

I wasnt there, but from what I heard the live bait guy would not let Roland get a weed patch they were both catching fish off of. The guy was trolling spottails and kept doing circles around the tiny weed patch. Supposedly the live baiter caught a 5 pounder and threw it on Rolands front deck and said "You want to fish here so bad? Take this back to your tournament!"....Of course this is all hearsay, but there were spectator boats.

Mini

Have not liked Roland's behavior in quite a while. Saw him at a resturant in Arkansas many years ago (maybe 20). Didn't like the attitude then.

Really got turned off when he pulled the now famous, 'too busy to fish with a youngster via the make-a-wish foundation'.

I will not/do not watch any of the shows that he is on.

Wow Roland got a bum rap on that one.....look it up on the net and see the list of people that have turned Make-a-Wish down for obligations similar to Roland's. You would be surprised at the stories floating around. I heard from a very good source that they asked last minute and he had obligations, he is a busy guy.....

Mini

Latest posts

Back