Fishing Mattawoman Creek (almost broke 3lbs!)

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim in VA

Reaction score
Got out Saturday early AM for the first time in a long time! Figured on giving the "boiled" bass (as MikeXpress calls 'em) a break and went out on Mattawoman Creek near the Potomac. A lot of the locals here know it as one of the busiest sections of the Potomac with Pro Tournaments on it darned near every weekend in the summer (or so it seems). Fortunately, I hit an off-weekend and only saw about two dozen bass boats in the Creek versus the usual seven dozen. :D

Launched out of the smaller ramp (Slavin's) and headed down to the main creek area. Had two guys in a Ranger blocking a path to a creek channel that could (and has) easily fished half a dozen boats, but rather than confronting a water-hogging jerk, I figured there were plenty of other spots to fish. So my neighbor Dave and I motored across that point to another. We were rewarded with about a half dozen or so nice bass including this one coming in at just about dawn.

0728070642.jpg

It was at just about 2 pounds. Nice fight too! About an hour or so later, this little beauty came in.

0728070701.jpg

I was pretty darned excited, because I figured I finally broke my three pound barrier. No luck. According to the digital scale, this beauty weighed in only at 2.5 pounds. Darned! We got several more on that spot before the morning was out. By about 11am, the bite died for us, so we packed it in early.

Hope all had good weekends as well!

Ha ha Tee!! Good one. Surprised the pic's don't show up for you. Let me know if they still don't work, because I logged in from a different computer and they did show there.

ps: any hints on how to break the 3lb mark greatly appreciated!

Jim,

Ya gotta catch fatter fish to break the 3 pound mark!! :p

Just kidding ya.....just keep fishing, it'll happen! I find that if all I'm catching is small fish, it's time to move to another spot.

Bob G.

jim,

fish closer to the main river in the grass and you will break that 3lb mark quick.

just keep at it.

mike c

Nice fish Jim..Glad you got on some. That three pound mark will disappear before you know it. You'd have a better chance of breaking that mark on a lake instead of a river though. Ok, stop by here and we'll head to the Shore to break that mark..:rolleyes:

Uncle Billy

jim,

you can come visit us down in aquia anytime you want. we go out most every weekend and would be happy to show you around. might even get you to break the 5 lb mark. just let me know. if its to far to tow the boat, i usually have a back seat open if you dont mind tin.

mike c

you would think with all the times ive stopped and talked to jim on the hot side i would remember what kind of boat he has, but i cant.

mike c

you would think with all the times ive stopped and talked to jim on the hot side i would remember what kind of boat he has, but i cant. mike c

Sooo, you're memory is getting like mine huh?:rolleyes: Jim has a 2002 Tracker Pro Team 175 with 2003 Merc 40hp..

Uncle Billy

Wow Uncle Billy - what a memory! We still have to get together on the hot side, Potomac OR bay!

Mike - just might take you up on that offer!! Folks on this board are incredibly generous as CIII has also offered. I'm going to try to get out this weekend (probably Mattawoman) and if the main river is calm enough, I'll head out there. I promised a friend of mine a fishing trip as he hasn't been since he was a kid - otherwise I'd take you up on your offer immediately. BTW, you have a G3, right? I'm looking at the potential to upgrade next season or so and want to stick with tin. I've got plenty of time so am comparing the Avalanche, G3's, Xpress's, and Triton Magnums.

Nice fish JIM!! I need to see MORE of those in Pics while i'm gone!! I KNEW Bob G would give ya some heck for the size, but a fish is a fish!!

Trep

correct jim,

i have a g3. which just won a huge award for customer service. not that i am trying to sway you that way, but i personally think for the money is a great boat. esp the hp series. c'3 and mixexpress fish down here alot, you are always welcome, the will always stand.

mike c

mikesxpress is selling his xpress

almost forgot,

you dont have to go on the main river just real close to the mouth to find great fishing over at mattawoman.

Thanks for the tip Mike C! Will check the mouth of Mattawoman on Saturday AM. Any chance you'll be out?

yes i will be out, but i am launching in aquia. i am taking a friend out who is in bad health right now, so no long run up to mattawoman this weekend.

mike c

p.s. throw a chart spinnerbait this weekend

Latest posts

Back