fish finder on tracker

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenny Guess

Reaction score
Just bought a 2004 PT 175 tracker and noticed that my lorance fish finder does not work when running at speed. When I slow down or idle, it works fine. Anyone else having that problem? Thanks,Kenny

My old Hummingbird that came with the boat was bad about that but the Eagle 480 that I have now is dead on all the time. Try adjusting the angle of your skimmer transducer, that should help.

BTW...My wife likes your CD's but I'm more of a Led Zepplin fan myself.;)

Harpo

I had exactly the same problem with my '95 Pro 17. I'd loose the bottow at speed with my 25. I upgraded to a 60 and they adjusted the transducer but it still didn't work. I loose it at about 20 MPH, top speed with the 25 and at the same speed with the 60. I had them mount my Eagle 240 in it's place. (original Humminbird) Faste response and small transducer. I haven't had it out yet but I noticed that they mounted it a little further away from the motor.

It is the stepped hull on the boat that causes it to lose the bottom... Look at my McGyver Bracket which effectiveley gets the head of the transducer back down into clean water... Total cost less than $5, total time to put on less than 15 minutes...

Tight Lines,

Bill:D

http://www.zjstech.net/~library/15480/Mod%20Pics/mcGyver_Bracket.jpg
http://www.zjstech.net/~library/15480/Mod Pics/mcGyver_Bracket.jpg

I've had both Humminbird and Eagle's loose bottom usualy as Bill said its either where they mounted it or its not deep enough. I currently have a humminbird on my Nitro and she keeps bottom (off the transom mount) into the 50s. So i'd loosen and lower the transducer then tighten and see if it works. If not, try the bracket bill mentions above.

I have an Eagle on front and rear and have had no problems with them so far.

GUYS:

THOSE OF YOU WITH THE REVOLUTION HULL ARE GOING TO HAVE A PROBLEM. MY 98 TRACKER AND MY FRIENDS 05 TRACKER BOTH HAD THE TRANSDUCER MOUNTED IN THE WRONG PLACE. I PURCHASED A MATRIX 17 AND INSTALLED THE PADDLE WHEEL AND TRANSDUCER ON THE LOWER PART OF THE HULL ,NOT ON THE UPPER PART OF THE STEP. I DON,T KNOW WHO TRAINS THE RIGGERS THAT INSTALL THE UNITS BUT THEY HAD BETTER GO BACK TO SCHOOL. AT SPEED THE UPPER PART OF THE STEP IS OUT OF THE WATER.NOT A GOOD THING FOR READING THE BOTTOM.

MIKE

kenny - I have a 02 PT175 with the Humminbird finder and had the same problem. I solved it by following some advice from this board. Basically, the angle of my transducer was off (too high). When I got on plane, this meant that the trailing edge of the transducer was in turbulent water - it needs cleaner water to read correctly. To solve this, I loosened the screw and angled it down about 10 degrees. That kept the lower part of the transducer in a deeper and cleaner stream of water. Now it works fine up to my enviable max speed of 25mph. For yours, keep angling down a few degrees at a time to see if that works. If not, the other options is to make an extension for your transducer so the entire unit sits lower in the water. But try the adjustment first - I'm betting that does the trick.

Good luck.

The angle is very touchy. All it takes is to put mine a hair out of wack and it will lose the bottom at virtually any speed. Once it's spot on it will pick it up at any speed.

I look at my boat from the side to see where the water scum line is on the side. Then I adjust the transducer so it is angled "nose" up a few degrees compared to the line.

Steve

First, I want to say how nice it is to be part of this "tracker group" and was surprised to see so many willing to help and give their advice. Thank you all. Bill, where did you get the bracket you used? If changing the angle doesn't work, I will get one. Look forward to using this site. Oh, I love the Tracker. It's killing me that this week end on the Mississippi Gulf Coast, the weather is very windy (25-30 mph) and cold (29-31)- now I can't get out and use my boat...think I feel a day off from work coming this week......

I have the same problem. I will be dooing the Bill fix on mine. Cheap and easy and I dont want any mnore holes in the boat.

Jaws

Hey all,

Did my mod tonight. Used aluminum stock to make the bracket. I found a nice bushing at ACE hardware instead of the stack of washers. It came out good. Thanks for the great idea Bill.:D Ill get a picture of the one I did and put it in my library in the AM.

Jaws

Clifton,

Here is the thread from last February where they were talking about making the bracket.

Hope it helps.

Larry

Latest posts

Back