eyeglass wearers and sunglasses

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis Man

Reaction score
Just trying to get a consensus what other eyeglass wearers are using for polarized glasses. Do you buy Polarized sunglasses and forget the eyeglass prescription issue? Do you buy prescription sunglasses (high cost$$$) or do you buy "clamp on" sunglasses to wear over eyeglasses.

There are also Cocoon brand that fit OVER your prescrption lenses that dont clamp on. Iaconelli uses them.

I have traditionally worn oversized polarized sunglasses designed to fit over my prescription glasses and liked them just fine, but a couple months ago I broke down and bought a pair of prescription sunglasses and love'em. cost me $150 at Walmart vision for the prescription lens (my vision insurance covered the frames which were about $100)

I went on line through FrameDirect, 189.00 and they are WileyX polarized wrap arounds. they work for me in the boat and on the motorcycle.

I use Wiley-X prescription polarized sunglasses with progressive bi-focals. They cost a bunch, but it's worth it to me on the water as I can't function without the prescription.

I don't buy/use perscription sun-glasses anymore. I had a set that were supposed to be polarized and 'turned dark' when outside, but those didn't work all that well.

I need at least 'bi-focals', and simply have not had the desire to put the money into Oakley's (or something similar) for a perscription version.

I wear 'fit overs', and generally Cocoons. They work well enough, but I find my nose and ears get tired with all the extra weight and such by the end of the day.

If I was fishing more (which I'm not unfortunately), I'd probably like to get a set of perscription sunglasses as Bob G. described (although I HATE progressive lens glasses), but just not now.

Tex

I use to wear prescription glasses. Nine years ago I had the LASIC eye surgery and I see perfect now. It's costly but the prescription glasses I needed would have set me back around $400.00. I already made up the surgery cost.

Barry from Louisiana

I have a pair from Bass Pro. Glass lens not plastic. Wrap around with a side lens. Cost about $120. Then added a flexible plastic bifocal lens that you wet and stick to the lens. I believe mine is 2.0 diopter about $20. they work great.

fatrap

I tried some of those 'stick on lens' also, and they weren't too bad. Unfortunately, I have a distance stigmatism also, so if I want something better . . . .

Tex

Went to the eye doctor for normal check-up and regular glasses. I thought I would buy 2nd set as presciption sunglassses. But the only wrap-arounds were designer style frames. Big bucks $$$. Atleast I took home the prescription, that way if I find a deal elsewhere I can have them made.

I happened into a pair of fit overs at Walmart in the fishing department. Polarized and fairly lightweight for what they are. They had the side pieces too. I think I paid $22.00. Not Oakleys, but they do well for me.

Scott

Many years ago I bit the bullet and bought a pair of prescription polarized sunglasses. I did a little research though and found a brand that had replaceable lenses (even a variety of colors if you want them) as well as a snap in prescription frame. The initial cost was about the same as a pair of prescription Oakley

Greg, sounds like a nice set, I used to have soemthing like that when I was shooting.

I use Wiley X glasses now, they hold up pretty well

Cheap Walmart clip on's. Costs $15/pair. Polarized in brown or gray (bought one of each shad). Fit perfectly over my prescription glasses. Don't care if they get lost or damaged (actually I do, but not just as much). Work great.

Costa Del Mar prescription.Pretty high cost at first but I have had this pair for 7 years.And they are lifetime warranty aganist defects.I would not have anything else.I have tried on the Wiley's and do like them.

I have used cocoons for a few years and love them. They go over normal glasses and keep all light out plus wind/bugs as you a speeding down the lake at top speed.

I use both clip on and fitover type that are made by Solar Shield and are alot cheaper.

The cilp ons I got a wally world and the fitovers at Drug Mart.

I tried to get Costa Del Mars or something similar but was told by two different opticians that they couldn't make them with my prescription due to the curvature of the lens. I bought a pair of Carerra precription polarized sunglasses and have been thrilled with them.

Latest posts

Back