Everstart Batteries

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Ratko

Reaction score
It is time to replace my deep cycle batteries for the trolling motor. I was at Walmart recently and saw the Everstart batteries from Johnson Controls. They are a decent price: $97 for 850MCA. Has anyone tried these? I wouldn't mind getting 2-3 years from them.

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Mike

Just starting the 3rd season on a set I had to buy before the second day of a two day tournament. No other places open so to Walmart I went. Very satisfied so far.

That's all I'm running now (start&TM) and seems fine.

Wally Worlds are everywhere too;)

MCA is not what you look for in TM batts....it's Reserve Capacity. I bought Everstarts when they had like 235 RC, then they dropped it to 185, Not a bad battery but they powered it down. MCA's are very important to Opti's, they REQUIRE like 1000 MCA's.

Toxic,

Is your recommendation based on the assumption that you are using a deep cycle for a starting battery? I intend to use these only for my trolling motor (Minnkota PD65AP)

Mike

Think of it this way, you charge and discharge your cranking battery with all of your electronics, etc. Your trollers should be deep cycle with a high RC, your cranking battery needs to be a deepcycle cranking battery not only with a high RC, but also a high MCA rating. Both sets are deep cycle but the cranking needs the extra jolt to start the boat. Your trollers just need the RC and not MCA.

A starting battery is NOT a deep cycle battery, but a deep cycle battery can be used for starting if it has the MCA that your motor requires.

The construction of the two is different.

Starting battery=thin plates for rapid discharge and rapid charging

Deep cycle battery= thick plates for slow discharge and slow charging.

There is an in-between battery called a Dual Purpose that some use for both applications, but it is not perfect for either.

I have three of the Walmart 29 series batteries in my 175. They performed very well. I used as the starting battery so I could listen to the radio, run electronics, and livewell all day an not have to worry about where the battery cables were. Completely satisfied. I have a friend using them on a 36v Minnkota in his Ranger and they have made it two years now and he fishes hard and alot. When I bought mine I took my volt meter with me and grabbed the ones that were 12.7 or better and had the same month/year sticker. To try and match them. Who knows how long they sit around without getting a charge.

Bill

Thanks for all the great feedback. Looks like it will be Everstart's for the next couple years. Now just to wait for the snow and ice to melt (still have feet of it here in Montreal)

Mike

Wayne, the dual purpose was what I was referring to...thanks for clarifying. It seems funny to me that all of your electronics, pumps, etc., run off a battery that needs to be a starting battery first and foremost. That's why Mini runs 5 batteries!! I would think isolating the starting battery from any other function would be the most ideal situation. You ask more from that 1 battery and have 1-2 or 3 batteries for the single function of a TM.:unsure:

Actually a Dual Purpose battery that has the MCA that your outboard needs is the best at a minimum. A larger one is the better, other than running an additional battery for electronics.

That is because of the deep cycle use bass fishermen require for stuff like livewell pumps, bilge pump, electronics, lights, etc.

Guys that are blinging their boats with lights and sound plus upgrading to the higher end electronics are finding out that their starting battery can't handle the additional power requirements.

Jumper cables or jumper systems are quite popular now.

Mike R,

Get what ya think is best for your wallet. Most of us can't afford the top notch crap out there so we deal with what we want to spend. If you take care of your crap, it may outlast what you'd normally expect. Good luck...

nojerseydevil,

Thank you. I have had Trojans, Interstates, and other Deep cycle marine batteries and no matter how well I take care of them (like wintering in the house or heated garage), I seem to get 2 good years and a third dodgy one. So for less than half the price with the same performance, I will give them a try.

Tight lines....

Mike

Mike,

I'm not being snarky but if you only got 3 years out of Trojans you are doing something wrong. Now, I'm not a fan of interstates and would have felt very lucky to get 3 years out of the 3 sets I had to return in 2 seasons...but a rule of thumb is that you get what you pay for in the battery world.

Latest posts

Back