Drop Shot Rod:

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzz Bouvier

Reaction score
I'm going to purchase a drop shot rod and I was wondering if most people drop shot with a spinning outfit or a baitcaster. I don't want to go above 8# to 10 # test and weights no heavier then 1/2 oz. Thanks.. I was told also that the reel makes a difference in selecting a rod. If I go spinning I'll use a Shimano Sustain 2500, and I go baitcaster it will be a Shimano Calais 100. I don't why the reel would make a difference but when I was chatting the other night in a forum with a guy from Japan he said the reel makes a difference???????

Buzz

I don't think I would even consider a baitcaster for dropshoting.....

It's too difficult to let out additional line.

As Staci has said, spinning is the way to go. I wouldn't think that you would particularly need a 'special' rod for drop shotting. For the most part, you are not trying to cast with it, but rather drop it over the side. If you drop shot around docks, you will likely pitch/flip a little bit.

The biggest part would be getting a rod that is sensitive, and not a 'stick'.

Tex

i use a bionic blade 6'6" Mh rod with a shimano spirex 2000 reel.

i will use 1/8 up to 3/8 oz weights and no more than 8 lb trilene. i dont think i would get the same feel from a baitcaster as i do with my spinning gear,

shimano has a new drop shot rod in there line up, i don't feel the need to purchase a special rig for drop shotting. i have been very succesfull over the past two seasons with what i have.

good luck.

GregD

Depends on the weight of the bait there old Buzzy. I've seen a lot of pros dropshot with a bait caster and heavier line. But I only use spinning rods. I don't see how the reel can make that much of a difference. Before you buy one, try a couple of my dropshot Castaway rods. They're made especially for that.

I have a 7' med/hvy spinning dropshot rod

a 6'6" med dropshot rod

and a 7'6" Loomis Bronzeback med action that is great for it too.

The streams that I fish have lots of rocks and trees and who knows what all else deposited in those undercuts..... I use a split shot on the end of the line. If the weight gets caught. all I have to do is pull a bit harder and everything else comes back! I'll also usually put a square knot in the tag end below the weight; that keeps it from coming off from the normal bumping along the bottom.

I would add one comment. I think it depends on how you rig your hook. If you nose hook your plastic then you simply pull up and reel the fish in. If you skin hook the plastic you need a little more of a hook set, thus a little more backbone in the rod.

I have two rigs, one for open water and one for flipping docks and timber. You can guess which rig I use where.

GG

Buzz I answered your email about this:

Quoted from email:

"6'8" spinning is perfect, soft tip good backbone. I like even like a 7 footer.

I am trying the Woo Daves Extreme this year. I will tell you that the only All Star I have left is the AST844S :) My favorite (and MANY touring pro's) drop shot rod. No matter who sponsors them...."

It is true I cant tell you how many pro's asked me for that rod when working shows.

Mini

Know I feel stupid ,I was following this post till CLUELESS started talking about "skin hooking your plastic or nose hooking it" What's skin hooking ?

Mark:huh:

Texas rig with a wide gap hook and "skin" hooking the bait to make it weedless.

I fish drop shots that way.

Mini

Latest posts

Back