Help with rod grip refurbishing

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy Walls

Reaction score
Guys there is a youth tournament coming up that my club is participating in. The organizer has asked us to donate any equipment for the kids to use and keep at the conclusion of the tourney. Many are underpriviledged. I have a couple of gently used rods that I am donating but the grips are a little dirty and I want to clean them up. Is there anything special I need to know before I try anything that may damange them? They are cork handles and I just want to make them lighter again. I was going to use very very light grit sand paper and ever so gently. If this is ok, is there something I should put on the cork after is is cleaned?

I will have two youngsters in my boat and plan on having a tackle pack for each, spinning rod/reel combo already lined and various tackle in a 3700 for each to keep.

Thanks guys!

There is a product I use called Krud Kutter. Its sold at Home Depot in the paint dept. I use this stuff for everything!! Removes dirt and grime like a champ!! Grease, mold, stains, oil, slime, smoke stains, and many more...NOT A PROBLEM!! Nontoxic and Biodegradable. This stuff works!! Give it a try.

I use a light solution of Clorox and a tooth brush, makes the cork look brand new!

I concur with thommo59's suggestion. I clean mine pretty regularly with one of those Scotch-brite sponges (green scourer on one side, yellow sponge on the other). One of those with some water and liquid dish detergent will get them clean. You'll be surprised how little rubbing/pressure you really need to clean them up well.

Thanks guys. I will give some of these a try as I have quite a few rods to clean up. Not ust the ones for the tourney give away!

Randy!

Latest posts

Back