Do you carry spare spools for your baitcasters?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Staci Matheis

Reaction score
All my spinning equipment is Shimano and I carry a number of spare 1000 and 2000 spools with me with various weights of line on them in case I want to change or run low on one. It's so easy to do and sometimes very necessary and they ship spare spools with the reels.....

But does anyone ever carry spare spools for their baitcasters with different weights of line on them?

me?

I carry the extra spools for my spinning outfits also, but I don't think that I've ever changed them.

Baitcasters, no. I'm just not that adept as yet in my fishing techniques. I'm finding that I'm using more 'leaders' and changing those, seems to be a lot easier.

I carry spares for some of my spinning reels...but I think I've only ever changed one once "on the fly"...

Don't have any spares for the baitcasters...

az

I do not carry any of the extra spools for the shimano's I own. I have each pole set up for a specific purpose, which dictates almost no changing of the line. I do change/repair the leaders if needed - which I sometimes use. As for baitcasters, same as the spinning outfits.

Maybe i'm a real novice at this, you'll find out on Saturday Scott! - But I didn't know you COULD take the spools off/on your baitcasters? I've still got enough trying to figure out how to not Backlash so much after 8 years, but to take it apart and change spools? Is that even possible?

I don't carry extra spools for my baitcasters but I carry spare baitcasting reels - one spooled with 12 lb dark green line and the other empty. I have spools of line for the empty depending on the situation.

Bear

Nope, just spare combos ready to go. I keep about 10 rods in the boat, for fast switching. I have had to respool on the water though to keep using a specific rig with rod action I prefer.

Geez..... Guess I'm wa-a-ay in the minority here..... I do change spools on spinning reels frequently. I'll generally have 2 or 3 spinning rods with me - all in different rod actions. Like when I'm trout fishing, I may switch between 2# and 4# mono on the ultra-light and between 4# mono and 6# fluorocarbon on the light action if the 4# proves to be too visible.

I don't have spare spools for the baitcasters. Never really had a need until recently when I started swiching around all my combinations and now I'm thinking "maybe I shoulda strung this with 14 instead of 12 or that with 17 instead of 14....."

For those of you who don't know - which is everyone - I'm headed South tomorrow morning to meet up with Michael and Rich to get a bit of a taste of Southern Hospitality! Don't know if I'll be able to sleep tonight! Wish I could leave NOW! And..... I've got plenty of rods and plenty of spare spools already packed! I'm sure all three of us will have stories to tell!

See you in about 30 hours, Michael!

me!

Can't wait Scott - Got the tackle boxes ready, 3 rods and a rain suit. Still gotta pack my clothes for Saturday and pick some good CD's to have in the wagon to listen to. I wish we could have found a way to drive in the same car, but not in the cards this trip. I also added my digital camera so we can take pictures!

You pack light, Michael! Here, it's 3 spinning (and LOTS of spare spools!) and 3 baitcasters. 1 Tackle box and 1 soft plastics bag. Rain gear. Waterproof camera. And I think my case holds 24 CD's..... If you can stand Beethoven, Mozart, Harry Belafonte, Meatloaf or The Stones, you're welcome to borrow some! They're all copies - I refuse to carry $16 CD's in the car just to get ripped off.

Oh, yeah..... Ribeyes for lunch on Saturday!

And I got truck pictures and caps for the boys!

me!

I know Rich's Crest can hold a lot of stuf, but I know you'll be there more days than me!

Realize my 1 soft tackle box actual contains THREE 370 boxes, 1 double-sided BPS Worm bag, and 1 Spinnerbait box. So technically 5 tackle boxes!

Meatloaf and the Stones are mostly my taste, right now my CD Changer has : 2 Will Smith, 1 Jimmy Buffet, 1 Rush, 1 Billy Joel and 1 kiddie CD. Was thinking about swapping the Will Smith and Kiddie CD for another Billy Joel, a AC/DC and a Van Halen!

The Kids will LOVE the truck pictures and caps! Gonna be hard to work for the next 2 days.

Hey, what do you like on your pizza? Thinking if it rains I'll make home made pizza and salads, we're a cheese and Peperoni family, but Beka LOVE veggie too! If not raining we'll probably grill hot dogs/hamburgers!

Remember, Michael..... I live by myself and DON'T COOK. Not one bit. If it ain't microwaveable, I don't eat it at home.

Away from home, I EAT ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING! Just so long as someone else does the cooking! AND it's NOT brains or blood sausage.... (Pardon me while I gag at the thought.....)

And, as you can see, I'm not getting much work done either!

me!

Not a problem Scott, I love to cook and especially BBQ! I'll talk to Beka at lunch and see what we come up with and we'll eat something either way. Want to leave my place by 6pm if we can, so we get up to Rich's relatively early in the evening, give me a call when you know about when you'll arrive at my place. No problem getting here early, i'm here all day!!

I'll give you a call when I'm about an hour out. I'll have to pick up a fishing license, too.

Can't wait! I'm like a kid when it comes to fishin' trips!

Theirs a place less than a mile from my house that has the licenses, their all electronic printed now! They might close by 5pm on Fridays, but worse case we'll be going by a 24 hour Walmart on the way, and they have them too!

Hey Scott, one sales guy to another (lost your e-mail). After all the yappin I've been doing here, I still blew the doors off my bi-annual projection. 1st half I've booked 2.7 million! Man am I stoked. I'm 300k over, and this month is looking strong. Thought you would get a kick out of that maybe? If I keep my pace, I might just beat the mark by a solid Mill!!!!! Sweet! What a year! See this site is great for lots of stuff! LOL Have fun on your trip.

OK but can someone answer my question - How do you swap spools on a baitcasting reel??? Doesnt' that involve taking the thing apart including all those screws, gears, ball bearings and springs? Is this something you can do on a boat?

Yes, it can be done on a boat. Easily. I'l show you tomorrow..... We'll use one of YOUR'S as the demo! :^)

Don't worry, Michael, it's easy! What brand and model do you have?

2 BPS ones, one XPS Extreme and one MegaCast. The others are Quantums. I did the take apart and put back together missing parts once, never AGAIN!

Tell you what..... Let's just wait until tomorrow! We can even use my reels as demos!

Trepster, if it's like my quantum, then there should be a quick release button on the side, the side cover rotates off, out comes the spool. That easy. I just never had spare spools for baitcasters. Have fun guys. I'm expecting to hear of BIG fish!

Latest posts

Back