Excel Line Problems.....

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOMMY RICH

Reaction score
I bought three spools (1500 yds.) of BPS Excel line in 12,8 and 6 lb. test for my reels on Friday because they were on sale.

Problem....I cannot for the life of me get the line to come off the spool correctly on my spinning outfits. Left, Right and even tried straight line spooling like you do for baitcasters and the stuff just springs off the spool. I have NEVER ever had problems like this. I even pulled the line off and tried freelining it back with nothing and it still shoots off the spool. Any suggestions?

No prob with the 12 because it goes on the baitcasters.

Not sure, I do know that the BPS Excel is now made in China as it wasn't in the past and I have not heard very good reports of the "new" excel line. I would recommend trying KVD Line and Lure Conditioner, that will help.

I just bought BPS Carbon Gold. I really hope I don't have issues. Anyone used it?

I use BPS Excel also. I usually end up with it the wrong way on spinning reels, so I let it out behind my boat with no bait, then reel it in with some tension. I also give it a spritz of Real Magic from time to time.

I have tried on several occasions dragging the line behind the boat and it has done nothing to correct the line twist.

cant help you. I only have 4lb test for crappie/perch rods. The stuff i like a rubber band to me.

i am waiting for the new XPS mono to come out. they discontinued the Sig Series XPS mono last year....:(

If this keeps up I will be switching back to berkley line.

That's my point...never had ANY problems with Berkley Trilene (ever).

I've tried everything although I have not tried line conditioner yet. I'll give it a try tonite and report back.

I think I have learned something about BPS line...buyer beware:(

BTW Mini....try the Crappie line in 4 lb. test...lays like thread!

Here is an easy way to fix the problem. Remove the loaded spool of mono line, and place it into a cup of very hot tap water for about 20 minutes. This will relax the line on the spool and it will not spring off! Works everytime, I never worry about which way it's going on. Another thing to help when you are putting your line on to stop twist and it's simple and also works! The reason you get line twist it the line loops before it goes through the tip of the rod, simply place the rod tip up against the ceiling and apply just enough pressure to bow the rod so slightly, this will prevent the line from looping before it goes through the tip.;) Then of course drop it in the hot water and let it set for about 20 minutes.

I was always a Trilene guy, but switched to Vicious. The mono is very affordable and have not had a problem in 18 months. The way they package it is a great idea.

One thing I noticed about the Excel is it's got waay too much memory for me.

I used conditioner on one last nite and it's better but, I think I just wasted money on two bulk spools.

I'll give the hot water a try tonite on another and see what happens....dangit:huh:

Tee,

Excel didnt used to be that way a number of years back. when i used to use it it was very limp and behaved really well, the only thing i didnt like about it was the stretch but i lived with it because otheriwse it was great.

I switched to suffix seige two seasons ago and im totally happy with it, i like it a lot more then trilene(which i have never liked) and the new excel.

if you soak a loaded spool in water...doesnt that soak your drag washers too??? they should be regreased afterwards, no?

I think he's sayin' remove the spool from the reel:lol:

on a front drag spinning spool the drag washers are mounted in the spool. not the reel.

Try a tablespoon of liquid fabric softener in a 16 oz. spray bottle of water shaken up and applied to mono after spooling. (Redneck Reel Magic) Gets it nice and limp. A hair dryer gently blown on a spinning spool after new line spooled cures many ills with it also. ;)

I agree with Jim B., Suffix is the only mono I buy. I was totally convinced when I saw my dad pull his 20' Javelin through weeds and junk when he snagged with 10lb. test and it never offered to break! I've never had any problems with it, but do give it an occasional shot of Reel Magic for insurance. Ask Elteewon, I think I converted him....;)

Scott

Lots of good mono out there to replace it with as mentioned. The old Excel (U.S.A. Tour / SKP line mfr.) was great for it's limp characteristics and bit of stretch in certain applications. Unfortunately the mfr. changed and with it went the quality. :(

Latest posts

Back