Correct Procedures for Starting a Carb'd O/B

• Thread starter Christopher Laurencio
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christopher Laurencio

Reaction score
sounds Like a silly question but here goes,

I have a Hard time starting my O/B, but once it's warmed up, it's starts up like a champ.

Motor: 1998 Envinrude Vindicator, 200HP, Hot Foot

What are the correct procedure's for Starting this Motor.

Such as: Throttle/Shifter Position, Choke, Hot Foot etc. (Should it be pinned to the floor or pumped, while cranking)

I do not have a manual

Please explain this as if you were expainling it to someone who never started a Carb'd o/b with a Hotfoot.

Thanks

CJL

Chris,

its real easy. I used the same procedure on both my 97 evingrude intruder and my 2000 merc xr6.

1) make sure the primer ball is pumped and hard

2) turn the key, wait for the beep

3) push in the key to choke for 5 sec( dont crank the motor)

4) crank the motor while holding in the choke till it fires

5) let it warm up and tear it up....

I have found on both motors if i toouched the gas in any way it would flood out and be a real b%^$h to start.

Thanks JIM,

That helps, I hold the choke in for 5 seconds, then hold in while cranking?

I don't touch the Hotfoot?

Where should the shifter be, upright or foward? If foward, do I push the center button in to keep it out of foward gear?

No what happens when it fires up, but then stalls, do I give it throttle with the hotfoot then?

Sorry for so many ??'s, I'm clueless with carb'd engines.

CJL

Yep hold the choke for 5 then hold it in while cranking , leave the hootfoot alone. Leave the shifter alone.

Also if it sputters after you let go of the choke puch it in agian till it smooths out. The choke on these motors isnt really a "choke" its actually a primer that squites fuel into the carbs.

The choke on these motors isnt really a "choke" its actually a primer that squites fuel into the carbs.

Oh Okay, I think I got it, and I just leave the shifter locked in the neutral position until I'm ready to move, thanks, I will try that.

Chris,

the procedures for starting a carbed motor are as different as the procedures for starting up women.:wacko: I drained my battery down a few times till I figured out exactly how to start mine.(my motor,,not my woman)

I turn the key to the on position. Bump the choke 5 times. Turn the key and crank the motor while I bump the choke 2-3 more times. No throttle ever, if it starts to die down,I bump the choke again. This works for me even at 30 degrees. Usually starts within about 5 sec.

I tried this on Trep's boat at the rally, and couldn't get it fired up. Had to let him do HIS majic and it fired right up.

Try different things untill you find what works for you.

And don't forget: Be sure the motor is full down when you squeeze the bulb. If you squeeze while it is still tilted up, apparently this causes flooding of the carbs.

jag

On my 2000 150XR6, it is of utmost importance to do what Jack G stated above. Pull the motor completely under the boat, prime the bulb until it won't take anymore. This way you should know that you are at least getting the gas required to start. I have been told a couple of different things about the chocking part. I have heard from some that keeping the key pushed in only squirts the gas one time and if you want to squirt it more then you have to push in the key each time you want it to squirt. Also, my outboard always starts best when I use a little foot throttle while starting, after it has fired once. It seems everyone has a different way of starting their carbed engines.

I have a 95 Evinrude. Here's what I do.

Pump the bulb.

Put in the key.

Turn/choke it to start.

Starts in 5-7 seconds if left cold for 5 months.

Starts in 2-3 seconds if it's cold, but I've been running it during the day.

Starts in 1-2 seconds if warm.

Sorry, I just simply do not have any trouble starting mine. On a carbed 90hp Merc, I would have some suggestions. I have one of the all time great running engines. :wub:

Tex

Tex,

How different could my 1998 Rude be to your 1995 Rude? So you don't touch the throttle/hot foot or shifter?

I guess that's my problem.

CJL

OK, I will try and help you on this just so you don't block the ramp while you are here in MD this year......................LOL OK Mike it's like this, OOpps wrong guy from Jersey..

Sorry my attempt at at a funny.

CJL, what I learned the hard way from a buddy who got tired of hearing me cuss my Merc was I needed to learn how to start my boat. What Jim B said works for me (maybe not everybody) I was told don't touch the throttle until the engine is running and then be gentle until it smoothes out. Your throttle lever is now just a gear shift lever and has no effect on the engine other than putting it in or out of gear (but if you want to freak people out, push the center button, pull the lever all the way back, look over your shoulder and start cranking)

The boat won't be in gear or WOT but they won't know that. The best advice I can give is keep the batteries charged until you figure out what works for you and your boat, I mean Ranger.

BF:cool:

Funny how everyone does it slightly differently. On my 40hp Merc, I have to advance the throttle up a ways, push the key choke a few times, crank and choke until it catches. Then when the RPM's climb (usually a few seconds after catching), I back off the throttle to just a hair over idle to let it warm up. I've tried numerous times to start without advancing the throttle, but no dice. Guess my little engine needs the extra kick!

JC

Jim C,

That's how I started my 60hp Merc, with the throttle and choke, but I guess this motor does not like that.

Thanks again all

CJL - The other nut from NJ :lol:

Question for Pat Goff. I've seen alot of posts about not priming the bulb with the motor trimmed up because of flooding the carbs. It does'nt make any sense to me, but I could be wrong. I always squeeze the bulb when I take the transom saver off at the ramp before I put the boat in the water. Squeezing the bulb pressurizes the fuel line which fills the carb bowls. The floats close the fuel port off when the bowls are full. If any fuel got up into the carbs, it's going to drain out of the carbs not into them causing flooding. I'd like to hear the verdict from the master.

Gene

Jim C,

I have to start my 2000 40hp the same as you, with the throttle advanced a little. Once running it starts the 'normal' way every time.

I was going to take it into the shop this year to have it 'adjusted' so I wouldn't have to do advance the throttle anymore. Since others start their motors this way I wonder if I really don't have a problem and might just create one by having it 'adjusted' ?

Thoughts anyone??

Mike L

'The other other other nut from NJ!!

Mike - my 2002 has worked with a bit of advanced throttle on cold starting for the three years I've owned it without complaints. Like you, once the engine is started for the first time after sitting overnight, it will start up without advanced throttle for the rest of the day, even if left off for a few hours when I'm over a hotspot (rare though that may be!). My dealer gave me the starting procedures with the advanced throttle so I never questioned it. My carbuerated motorcycle starts the same way with the choke fully on for a while (the choke opens up another valve that pumps more fuel into the carbs - like an advanced throttle), so I figured what I did with the O/B was normal (same goes for the gas powered two-stroke weed whacker).

Keep us poste don what your dealer says. I'd be interested if this was typical or not. My bet is that its normal.

JC

When cold-starting my 50Merc I have to advance the throttle just a touch to get it going, then back-off once it settles out. There was fellow in the slip next to me last year who had the identical motor as mine and said his had always been "cold-natured" and required a touch of throttle also.

Gene, id bet you are right. I have always and i mean always primed my boat while its on the trailer as a part of my normal pre-launch routine. I have never had any sort of flooding problems unplugged the kill switch by accident.

Nope. After it cranks, I'll give it a little bit of the foot throttle, but not before. Had too many engines/ob's flood (carbed motors).

Tex

Boy, do I feel stupid. I have had problems with starting my XR6 200hp carb'd Merc. Seemed to take forever to start, even with the throttle advanced. It would want to start but just couldn't get there. Eventually it started and then started right up thereafter. However, once in a while while I put the throttle all the way down it would stall out. Thought it was just one of the carb issues and told myself I would live with it. I always do my own maintenance but had forgotten to change the "in-line gas filter" for three years. Two weeks ago I changed it out and guess what. The engine now starts after a brief choking, slight advanced throttle and never hesitates. If you haven't changed out your fuel filter, whether in-line or otherwise I would make the small investment and git er done! A big DUH :wacko::wacko:

This has been a very good thread, thanks all

Truth is, I have EFI Envy!!! One crank and Vroooom. :huh:

EFI may go Vroooooom but I can buy more fishing gear with the money I saved by not going to EFI. So there...........

CJL - I really don't want people to know that I came from Joisey. Left in '67. My kids are Rebels and not Yankee's. Difference between a Yankee and a Damn Yankee is that a Yankee comes for a visit and leaves but a Damn Yankee is one who comes to visit and stays.

The dude comes from talking to Carlos to much!

sorry to late, watch the Turnpike scene from the Soprano's next week, I put a sign up that says, "Bill from VA, was here":eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

at the least, in '67, you could left the one and only LM in NJ and not have taken it with you

Hey, I resemble that remark. Never did the turnpike since I lived Northwest (Morris County) and came through PA on the old 22. I did take the last LM and in fact won the Knee Deep Hunting and Fishing Club Annual Award at Lake Hopatcong for biggest bass in 1959 with a 5-14 LM. Still have the pictures and the trophy. Ha ha

Maybe I left because the Soprano's were starting to move out from the city and take over the Lake. LOL It sure isn't the same place that I grew up at. But then again, Lake Anna isn't the same as it was when I started fishing it over 25 years ago.

When you come south stop by and see the damn yankee!

Latest posts

Back