Computer HELP

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Duggan

Reaction score
Hey all,

way off topic here but i hope someone can help.

I picked up some nasty MAL-ware and can't make it go away. It is a program called personal Gaurd 2009. i have run McAfee and SpyBot. both find this program but neither seem to delete it. it constantly pops up warning me of potential harmfull viruses in my hard drive, when it self is the corupt file.

Anybody know how i can get rid of this once and for all?

Thanks

GregD

Probably not what you want to hear, but If your AV is not getting rid of it, and your machine is up to date, then backup all your needed info and reimage the machine..Good Luck

I had one of these on a machine not too long ago and they are a pain in the ***. I don't think you need to wipe out your machine. Some are easy, the one I had on a machine at work I simply removed it by deleting it and it was gone.Most are programmed to rewrite itself before deleting. I don't remember which one did the trick but I think, in my case it was Spybot S&D, I ran several before I found the right one. Most are free downloads. MS Mal Software Rem Tool is a good place to start, mbam-rules, ccleaner, cleanup452, index.dat, all are free downloads. After you install the program make sure you get the new definitions before running it or you are wasting your time. When you are finished with them, delete the ones you don't want to keep.

Good Luck,

There are two possible "fixes" before a wipe and reload. Vundo Fix... (copy and paste to your browser) http://www.softpedia.com/get/Antivirus/VundoFix.shtml

And, malwarebytes (copy and paste to your browser) http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?part=dl-10804572&subj=dl&tag=button

Install and run Malwarebytes first. Then install and run Vundo Fix..

Good luck. Let me know by email if this stopped the problem.

thanks guys, i will try these when i get home tonight.

i appreciate the help.

GregD

G Meyer,

I ran both applications last night. Malwarebytes found 67 corrupt files. 20 of them were related to personal gaurd. It was able to remove all files. i ran the Vundo program this AM, no virus found. So far so good!!

Thanks for the help

GregD

Run the Malwarebytes once a week,,, Update then scan... Should keep you clean...

thanks again, computer has been clean all day!

down loaded onto my laptop as well. i will plan to run Malwarebytes on both.

GregD

Latest posts

Back