Changing Out Impeller

• Thread starter Rick Martin Trackerman
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Martin Trackerman

Reaction score
Went out on Saturday morning and after 10 minutes of running my engine alarm goes off. After placing her in neutral I turn around and to my surprise there's no water stream coming out of the motor. I assume it is the impeller and this is the 3rd year on the motor, 90 hp Optimax. Everyone tells me that with my mechanical abilities, I should be able to change it out myself and that it's an easy fix. I found the impeller part # 43026T 2. Are there also any gaskets or such that I should be changing out at this time also? Thanks in advance for the knowledgeable members on this site.

Rick

I always have mine changed but, how many hours on the motor?

You should also check the pee hole to make sure there's no debris clogging it. I keep a small piece of wire in the boat for that reason. Mine has clogged twice with debris (leaves and twigs) and the wire loosened it up enough to flow out.

They sell a water pump kit or just the impeller. get the kit.

I agree with TEE on this one. My motor quit putting out the stream twice in one day this year. I pulled the cowl and removed the hose and there was a small seed (maybe duckweed) that had her plugged. It was an easy fix, maybe you will get lucky too.:)

All good advice. I have had bugs crawl in and block the stream on mine. I keep a piece of weed trimmer line on the boat. While the motor is running I work it back and forth until the water sprays past it.

That said, many people advise changing the pump every 3 years anyway. It's cheap insurance and fairly simple with a good guide book. Like Mini said, get the kit-no worries about anything with that and it's not too much more money.

I just changed mine, after a year and a half. The impeller was eaten up. I had low water pressure, and this made me dig into it. I carry a can of WD-40 to clean, clear the pee hole.

Good luck,

Bubby:)

Changed mine out about a month ago when I bought the boat as it had been sitting for some time.

Mine is the Mercury 90elpto. I used the kit as it came with the gaskets and plate which made easy work of replaceing needed components.

Look up mercurypartsexpress.com and you will be able to search for your engine by serial number and it will pull up diagrams and parts numbers for your engine helping to make part orientation and placement much easier if you should forget where things go.

You could also take pictures as u disassemble to help make sure she goes back together right.

Dobber

Thanks for all the advice guys! I put 80 psi of air through her today and when I hooked up the hose and cranked her up, she just peed and peed:D. Now I can go fishing in the morning and salvage the rest of my week. I did pick up a spare impeller kit though just in case;).

If it were mine I would still probably change that impeller when you get some time. If your plate is not scored all you need is the impeller, some Merc grease, and the gasket. If the plate is scored you need the kit that has the new plate in it.

Agree...those rubber impellers don't last long. I'd keep a close eye on it for now.

Like someone said, keep a piece of weed trimmer line in your boat ( I use 30lb. mono leader line) and when you notice a trickle or no water coming out, push the line in and out a few times, it will clear it if there is something in the hole.

Latest posts

Back