Cell Phones??

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Lyons

Reaction score
On the BFHP site there is a discussion about using cell phones during tourney's. (#35809) There seems to be quite a negative attitude towards there use except for emergencies. Not calling the wife or doing business, or just interrupting while fishing.

The disucssion centered on both ends of the boat, IE Am or Pro and "protocols??" for cell phone use.

I'm curious what members here think about there use??

I have one for work that requires my having it on and available at all times, how would a condition such as that factor in???

Like to know what others think about this? Comments/advice? How do our members, on a fishing trip, non tourney feel?

Michael

Michael

I fish as a non-boater in our club tournies. I leave my pager and cell phone in the truck, unless boater wants me to bring my cell phone. When I fish for fun, I carry pager and cell phone.

Bob G.

I think a cell phone is fine foe emergencies and an occasional call during a tournament. I never leave my phone in the truck, doesn't do me any good there if I was to have boat problems or need medical help. always keep it fully charged and in the boat when I'm on the water.

I don't fish tournaments anymore but I do carry my cell always. You can always turn it off if you don't want to be bothered

fatrap

That's a bunch of bull that they are spewin over there. I will bring my phone AND I will yap on it all day if I want. As long as I am not breaking any TX rules....Shut up and fish!! Sheesh, I have a wife and child at home tourney or not they can call me whenever they need me....period!! It's my time and if I wanna talk while I fish then so be it. If it's my stockbroker and I've got a million dollar stock trade goin down.......or if Mac runs outta ink......I gotta be avaliable.

TOXIC

TOX, You tell'em..... I bring my cell with me all the time.. a buddie of mine owns sells homes for a living and most of the time has rod in one hand and phone in the other.. He's gotta earn a living.

I fish to relax and enjoy. The last thing I want to hear is a damn phone ringing. I may bring the cell phone onto the boat with me but it's to be used in case of emergency only. I will turn it on when I want to use it not leave it on for someone to interupt me.

Use in tournaments? I don't know. In my Federation and Club, it's pretty well written out that you can't use them.

So do I Jon but if my wife gets in a car accident or something else terrible happens, my phone is on and avaliable. I also periodicly check it for signal and if it has been off for a while, I just may check in myself.

The discussion over on the BFHP is whether or not they are allowed during tx's. You have a partner.....should they use their phone.....I've had clients that were on their phones as much time as they were fishing...doesn't bother me in the least, the pay's the same!!LOL Now if they tried to rib me about the numbers of fish I would have to say something about their time on the phone as opposed to their time on the pole!!LOL Tx guys swapping reports, spots, baits, etc., is a definate no-no. That being said, no tournament director will ever disallow the use, it is a safety thing.

TOXIC

I love Cell phones on my boat...Phone rings = Fish on EVERY TIME!!!

The biggest bass Craig & I caught in our team tourney came when my boss called and said "How come your not in work today?".

When Rob and I won the rally, we broke buzz's TM and every time Rob called his wife, I would hook up.

Fishing on Winni one day Curtis got a call. While talking to his wife he handed me the rod and "Can you set the hook for me?" 4+ lb smallie on a carolina rig.

Cell phones = Big fish....I will always carry mine and use it.

Just like untangling a backlash, your phone forces you to slow down your presentation without realizing it.

So...

If you carry a cell phone, will it counter-act the "bad" effects of having a banana on board???

az

For emergency only, fished a local torny last year where a guys brother was fishing on the same lake (he was not in the torny) & called the guy in the torny to tell him he was on some fish & to get down there. Yes you guessed it he won but his brother blew it at weigh in & slipped & said with people around "sure glad I called you about those fish"

The cell phone is the best piece of safety equipment you can have in your boat. If I paid my entry money and i want to take or make a phone call, it's ONLY hurting myself.

I don't fish tournements so I can't speak for that but I do use my cell phone to get weather reports. Sometimes especially in spring we will get some huge T-storms that build up in the west. Sometimes they track east and sometimes they drift off to the north. I will call my wife and she can look on the online weather radar and tell me if I should fish or cut bait.

Harpo

I carry a cell phone at all times on the water just for emergancies...My partner got one last year and every hour his wife would call to ask what he was doing.WEll he doesnt have the phone any more..One per boat is good....

Latest posts

Back