Carpet Snaps on 188 Sport

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul P

Reaction score
Hi

I have removable carpets on my 188 Sport which attach to the boat with snaps. Over the years the snaps have ripped out of the carpets and the some of the male snaps which are screweed to the deck have pulled out of the fiber glass. What is the best way to repair the holes in the deck to reinsall? ANy ideas on how to replace the snaps wripped out of the carpet or do I need to buy new carpets? Any better ideas for fastening them ... maybe some type of velcro strips?

Thanks

Paul

I would seriously consider the Velcro idea... The "industrial" stuff we use sometimes is like a death grip!:rolleyes:

The same thing happened on my 2001 188. I had a keel saver installed on my boat 2 years ago at a fiberglass shop and asked them about repairing the snaps in the floor. They said they use either marine tex or JB Weld to fill the hole and then reinsert the screw and let it dry in place. I had JB Weld at the house already so I used it and they are still holding. My carpet snaps did the same thing. In fact, one of them flew out on the interstate last year somewhere east of Shawnee, OK while heading to my favorite lake; McGee Creek. I was thinking about permanently attaching the carpet to the floor, but I like the ability to take it out to clean. I hadn't thought of the velcro. That is something I will probably do this year.

Larry

Paul, call around and find a carpet store that does binding...they may just refer you to someone. They will be able to attach some more snaps to your carpets....or if your carpets are too tattered they will make you some more from marine grade carpet.

Larry, That's funny...I lost my OU spare tire cover somewhere around Shawnee on the way back from McGee Creek. :D

Harpo

Paul,

I repaired mine with Marine Tex and they were still holding when I sold the boat. I had my neighbor install new snaps since he does upholstry work but I really like the idea of velcro. Wish I would have thought of that.

NoCAL

Thanks again.

For the velcro idea ...

Stitch to the carpet side?

How to attach to the deck ... some type of glue? If glue and the strip needs to be replaced, will it be a mess to remove the old one?

Latest posts

Back