BPS Frustration

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry Heydt

Reaction score
First of all, no offense intended towards any of the members emplyed by BPS. But I've gotta vent!

Placed a substantial order (a few hundred $'s worth) from BassPro on Tuesday of last week. Received a confirmation e-mail indicating the order was received, but two items were backordered. One of the items I NEED to have (new rain gear for the wife - needed for trip in two weeks). Called and spoke with Cust. Serv. Advised I needed to change the backordered jacket to a different jacket. Was advised the new jacket was IN stock and would ship. As of today, still hadn't received the "Order Has Shipped" e-mail. Called and spoke with Cust. Serv. again, was told order HAD shipped, but problems with e-mail confirmation system. Ok, no biggie. Then was advised two items were on backorder. Hmmm, no, shouldn't be. Yep, the original jacket was STILL on backorder, and the NEW jacket was now on backorder (blood pressure started increasing). After a little more discussion, it was learned that Cust Serv last week (a) never cancelled the b/o'd jacket, and (b) then keyed in the WRONG number for the "new" jacket I ordered, and ordered the wrong item (blood pressure still rising). Cancelled them, and advised I NEED the jacket for a trip. Cust Serv suggested cancelling this order (which at that time I had already asked her to do), re-ordering the jacket and having it shipped express. I asked if I would have to pay for the express since BPS had been responsible for the error (twice, in fact), and was told yes. (Blood pressure reaching dangerous levels at this point). Cust Serv asked how long it typically takes a BPS order to arrive at my house. Advised it was hard to say, since I hadn't ordered from BPS for over a year, as BPS had screwed up my LAST large order even worse, and I have been ordering almost exclusively from Cabela's ever since. Cust Serv then advised there was nothing else she could do. (little vessel in the forehead popped at this point). Cancelled all unshipped items, advised I would re-order all from Cabela's. A-r-g-h!! I won't even get into the fact that having an interactive inventory/ordering system allows users to identify backordered items BEFORE they place the order, and that a three-day order to ship turn-around is a bit more than I'm accustomed to...

Phwew. Sorry all. I once took a bit a good-natured ribbing for being a Cabela's-man and not a BPS-man. =^) Rib away...I gotta admit I wish I hadn't given BPS another chance. (Vent mode off)

Cabela's is a top notch quality company that has never done me wrong. Good luck with your next order. Chris.

You gave them too much rope, Terry. At the first indication of a foul-up in the works I ask for a supervisor. Unfortunately, all too many service reps go by the "book" and more than just a few simply don't care. I speak from experience as I've had up to 1000 of them working for me.

Supervisors, on the other hand, have different incentives, not the least of which is keeping you from accelerating your displeasure upward. They also usually have the authority to satisfy the customer in ways the service rep does not.

It very disappointing to hear that they wouldn't pick up the shipping charges.....

One "un-oh" cancels one thousand "at'a boys".....

Tough to keep and maintain good customer service reps. They don't get paid much $$ and have to listen to a lot of grief all day, every day. I would have escalated it real fast to the next level. I have never had a problem. Yeah they are a sponsor, but I have to order just like everyone else and then it goes off to some other dept. for pricing. My stuff has been johnny-on-the-spot, damage free and backordered items at most have taken a week. And no, I don't get any special treatment!! Give them another try when you are not pressed for time. Do some small groupings on different days just to see how they do. Being a Nebraska native son, Cabela's appeals to me and I do have some of their gear.

TOXIC

I am surprised and not, normally I do o.k. with their customer service, except for my last experience. I ordered an atlantis underwater cam. The first unit was defective. No problem, it happens. I returned it for replacement and noticed at this time (about 2 weeks after the original order) that the camera had gone on sale. I mentioned this to the rep and she sent me a gift card for the difference, about $20. When I received the replacement camera, it was obviously an opened unit, the wires were not wrapped neatly and it was missing instructions and the sunshield. I called them back and they said they would send a new one right away and issue a prepaid return label. Great. I box it back up and put it aside waiting for the label. The new one comes, but no label was enclosed. I figured they would be mailing it. A couple weeks go by and I get a postcard stating that the other unit has not been returned and if they don't get it within two weeks, they will charge my card again. I called, explained I was waiting for the shipping label. The rep apologized and said she would issue one immediately. Last week, I see the charge on my card. I called again and was told they can't issue the return label because the package contains hazardous material, which I can only assume is lead. I said, why didn't someone call me back to say that I would have to ship it on my own. She didn't have an answer except to say that once they receive it, they will credit my account.

Rich D

Rich,

IMMEDIATELY... dispute the chrage in writing to your card company...

Next, call and ask to speak to a Manager... This is not your fault and someone should be fixing things from your side...

Greg,

Thanks, but it will be off before the billing cycle. My biggest beef was that if they can send me a postcard telling me they will charge my card if they don't get it, they could just as easily call and say they are unable to issue a call tag for it. They said they will reimburse me the shipping charges, it was just the principle of it.

Rich D

Called BPS' "SECOND LEVEL" Customer Service this AM. Turns out the customer service reps I spoke with previously had things screwed up even worse than was previously believed. Some things just didn't make sense as to why certain item numbers were entered and weren't entered, etc. Finally determined that the confirmation e-mail listed the wrong item as being backordered, the first rep entered a requested correction incorrectly, and a jacket that was reportedly shipped - and for which my card was charged - was actually NOT shipped and was, in fact b/o'd. (Phwew). Spoke with a 2nd level CS rep who was able to tell me what shipped and what didn't. Advised I needed replacement items by the end of the week. Determined similar items, order to be processed and shipped out 2nd day air at BPS' expense. CS rep apologized profusely. Woulda' been nice to apologize with a gift card, but... ;^) 2nd Day air should get it here by the end of the week. Is a three day processing time (from time of order to time of shipping) par for BPS? Wow. I'm apparently spoiled by "same day shipping" (next day at the latest). Hopefully, all will arrive as intended.

Three day processing doesn't seem all that bad. However, having said that, it sure is nice when something shows up just days after ordering it.

A great deal of it depends upon what type of backlog each retailer wants to keep. Some, want their backlog to be minimal. Others, want 2-3 days of backlog. This can help with both ordering and also staff to handle goods.

Also, it can depend upon where the items are stocked. I'm not familiar with the BPS methods, but they likely have items in different buildings and/or locations. If so, it can take several days to get everything processed and ready for shipment correctly.

I will say, I've been amazed at the service I get from Cabella's on-line ordering and delivery. Top notch.

Tex

Can't wait until the new Cabela's opens this year(?) in Hamburg PA. Not too much further than the BPS in Hanover MD. From the road it looks about the twice the size. Sure looking forward to it. Can't beat looking and touching the real thing instead of trying to figure it out on line.

That new Cabelas is about 40 minutes away from me. <drool> Latest news is a possible earlier-than-expected opening (currently projected for Sept. 18th). Almost a quarter-million square feet, 100 acre site. Already made the calculations and showed the wife how much we spend in S&H per year, and how I could now better spend that money (right away, she wants her AllStars upgraded to Titanium...). Never made the trek to MD for the BPS store yet (although will have to do so to see one of Tox's legendary tank performances).

Terry,

Cabelas rocks when it comes to customer servive!! I buy some stuff from BPS and I buy a lot of stuff from Cabelas! I've been to the stores in Sydney and Kearney, Nebraska. Are you a Cabelas Club Member? If not, you should check it out. Cabela's sends me a hard cover Master Catalog each year and it is "the book" in my house.

I hunt in PA for the first week of "deer" season. It's hard not to call it buck season. But I'll be checking out the new Cabelas for sure when I get down there the weekend after Thanksgiving.

Bob G.

Well now...Are all you BPS people listening to this? I'm gonna' have to jump on the "band wagon" on this one and say,"Cabela's DOES have it all over BPS when it comes to customer service!"

I got so tired of orders messed up and delays and backorders etc.,etc.,....

Now I just go BPS that's about 40 minutes away and pick up what I need...I can't stand waiting on anything anymore and the older I get the worse "It" gets!

TEE

TEE - Couldn't agree with you more. Can't wait for Cabela's to open and do the tour. They really seem to carry more than BPS, at least on-line and their customer service is second to none. BPS is an hour away for me and I go up about 3-4 times a year. A little farther for Cabela's but probably worth the trip.

Hey Bill..get somethin' in that library guy! Seriously though..one of my biggest gripes with BPS was getting the WRONG item and sending it back....and waitin'! :(

TEE

My problem going to the BPS in Maryland was them not having a lot of the little things in stock. So....I end up driving 45 minutes each way and then still have to order it online. grr.....

david....

Tee - I have been meaning to get stuff in the library and everytime I think about it I don't have the digital camera with me. Next trip to the lake (where the boat is) I will tie some spider-braid to a part of my anatomy so I don't forget. Thanks for the reminder!

I'm not gonna bash BPS (any further than they gave me cause to do), however, for those BPS loyals who have never ordered from Cabelas online, here are my favorite Cabelas features:

(1) Interactive inventory/ordering system: When you go to check out, your items are checked for instock status. If an item is backordered, you are told THEN and given an opportunity to remove it or allow the backorder (either way, you are not charged until it ships).

(2) Order status: You can go on your account, and pull up the current status AND tracking detail for your order. And (although strange) the detail on the Cabelas tracking info is linked directly to UPS, but actually shows more detail than the UPS tracking site. (Always nice to know where your package is).

(3) Order History: You can review your past orders for items, prices, dates ordered, etc... I've used this in the past when I couldn't remember a certain item/item number that I have ordered previously.

(4) Customer Service. On the occassions I have used it, Cabelas' C.S. has excelled. Be ready if you ever call Cabelas. Nine times outa 10, that phone call is answered (by a human) on the first ring. Caught me off guard many times.

Additionally, I think the Cabelas webite is a bit better designed and laid out. Again, no offense to BPS, their employers, or sponsored individuals. I used to order ALL my things from BPS. If they would learn a thing or two about technology and make their ordering system a bit more user-friendly, their service would improve tremendously.

Terry,

For the most part, I would heartily agree with your analysis. I've always thought the BPS Web site was very poorly designed and implemented. I've also been 'shocked' at how quickly I get something from Cabela's. I needed some gloves this spring when fishing some winter tourneys. Their site showed the one that I wanted was backordered, and I was quickly able to find a suitable subsititute.

Tex

Latest posts

Back