Bob B.

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzz Bouvier

Reaction score
Bob, Rob wanted me to ask what would be better for his 99 Merc EFI 175hp, 87 octane with ethanol or 91 octane ethanol free? Thank Bob.

Buzz

If you can get gas with no corn mash that's always going to run better!

bob b.

is on vacation for a few weeks he posted a littel while ago to let us all know he's not ignoring us.

if your owners manual calls out 87 octane useing a higher octane is very bad for it, burns to hot that being said with only .04 differance and an ability to store longer

i would be tempted to go with the corn free gas.

if i was nervous i would add a littel meaning small amount of 2 stroke oil to my fuel directly but thats just me anything i would do might just be the completly wrong thing:unsure:;)

Buzz - I'd recommend sticking with the factory recommended octane rating of 87. The higher octane actually burns colder and less fully, leaving more carbon residue that will accumulate over time. That's never good on a cylinder wall. The makeup of the fuel compound (pure gas/ethanol blend) affects components used in the delivery, but has little impact on the detonation octane level other than the possibility of added moisture from the blend. I'd consider matching octane range first, then compound blend second. Tell him I said Good Luck! ;)

I hate this ethanol garbage fuel more than I can say. :angry:

higher octane has a lower flashpoint that is correct and therefor can burn colder.

that is correct i misspoke and meant the opisite of what i said.:wacko::wacko::)

Wellllll...interesting topic. I know what the manuals state, BUT...if I had the choice of a non-ethanol higher octane, I would use it hands down. The benefits outweigh the negatives. Use Sea-Foam as a daily additive regardless of choice. ;)

Latest posts

Back