? @ Bob B --optimax 200 / bogs

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brantley moats

Reaction score
I have a 2006/200 optimax(not pro xs). Yesterday ,after fishing, I cranked motor to come in and motor would bog down when I gave it the gas. RPM's would rise to about 3000 and then bog down like it was running out of gas. It did quit running at this time and I pumped bulb which felt flat(not primed). It cranked back up but would only idle. I idled in at about 1000 RPM and tried to give it gas several times - same results-bogged down. Did not shut motor off as I was about 3 miles from ramp and did not want to be stranded. Water pressure O.K. no bells or alarms went off.

After arriving at ramp shut motor of for several minutes to retrieve truck .Went back to boat cranked it and tried it one more time, it ran like it should taking gas and getting on plane as usual. Did this 6 times. I should mention about 4 weeks ago I changed bulb and hose to engine. Bulb was obviously decaying b/c black stuff almost like paint would rub off bulb when you squeezed it. The hose I replaced was the alcohol resistant type but replaced it anyway.Used the standard Merc Dealer plastic tie wrap "gas line type" clamps. Can you offer some advice or trouble shoot this?

Thanks,

BP

Good description of a problem. Based on your "triage", it does sound as though it is running out of fuel. Remove the fuel line from the engine end and get a small gas can you can pump some fuel into. You should see a positive pumping action from the bulb. Did you replace it with an OEM part or aftermarket? Let's start here....;)

okay this sounds like exactly what mine is doing, bogged down and not getting fuel is a better way to describe my issue. Same thing though, I don't even have to shut the motor off, just idle for a minute and I am good to go! (see 200 EFI problems post)

Please remember that with ALL of the "stop and fish then go guys".....you MUST prime the fuel system before take-off! Can't stress this enough. The fuel is very prone to vapor lock and the pumps need a solid supply of LIQUID fuel in order to operate correctly. If you don't, hesitation, and not getting on plane are common. Replace your bulbs and fuel line with an OEM part before thinking there are any engine problems!!!;)

Back