Blanked at BASS Weekend

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
Well, fished my first tourament with the guys and I blanked. I caught alot of fish but they were short or the wrong species. If we were fishing a white bass tournament, we would have won. lol ! I caught 3 large mouths but they were all short. I caught about 7 or 8 nice white bass. I also caught a carp (yuck) and a nice gizzard shad. ha! I really had a good time even though I didn't weigh anything. We missed being in a productive pocket by about 5 minutes. We were headed there and another boat went in. We watched the coangler pull out a 6lber (we asked) and the boater pulled back to back 4 lbers. Why does that never happen to me? We were both commenting on how we just missed it. My boater blanked too. Large mouths had to be 15" and small mouth 18". All of his were short.

It was raining and in the 40's. Water temps were about 50-53. The fish are just starting to move up. It should be ON here in a week or two. Can't wait!!! The biggest fish I saw caught was 7+. Why cant that be me? :rolleyes:

The guy I drew was super nice and didn't seem phased that he got the only chic. We got along great and he was nice enough to turn his head when the time came. He had a peanut bladder so I didn't feel so bad. lol !

I met and spoke with a few guys at the registration (at a bar). They were all very friendly to me when they saw me at the tournament. Gave out my number on a few napkins. Havent done that in awhile. HA! Strictly fishing! There was a lady boater. I talked to her for a bit at the registration too. She talked herself up quite alot. I dont know, just not me. I am sure she is a nice person.

I am definitely going to the next one in April. Hopefully I will weigh in something!

LOL @ peanut bladder!!

Glad you had a good experience....not all guys are jacka$$es!!

To bad you blanked, but that's the way fishing goes sometimes. You definitely had tough weather conditions. We still have ice here. Just last week I saw 2 pickups still driving on the ice.

Hope you have better luck at the next tourney.

TC, take the positive from it. You were on fish, you caught fish and were near the spot that could have made it happen. Just wondering how much running you did. If I am catching shorts, it's usually time to move. What was the winning bag weight? Keep at it you are very close.

TOXIC

No shame in competing and losing. You'll weigh some next time.

16 lbs on the boater side won it and 11 lbs on the coangler side. 30 out of 51 boaters weighed a fish and 19 co's weighed something. I don't feel bad about it. I had fun and caught fish. I wish I could have weighed something cuz it makes a HUGE difference in points. I will get em next time!

I am learning sooooo much each tournament I go to. I have no one that fishes with me that actually knows what they are doing. It's more for fun so I don't really have anyone to learn from. I read and watch shows but there is nothing like real experience. The money I have spent to learn is well worth it to me. It is definitely making me better every time I go. In a few years, I should be able to find fish and catch them. :D

Don't worry about it Teri,...you caught fish and that's GOOD!! You can't always control WHAT kind of fish bites,..but the fact that you caught'em is excellent...getting the "feel" down is very important,...keep it up!! I'm proud of you!!:wub: Glad you had a good boater too...like Bob G. said,..we're not ALL jackasses!!:cool:

Keep an on-line journal for your own review after every tournament...you can always go back to that and re-read your thoughts before the next tournament on that water. It might help you get ready...or it might keep you from repeating a mistake. Jot down where you fished, what lures you used, water temp, etc..etc....and any details you may remember from other angler's successes and/or failures. The more info the better!!

Anxious to see how you progress thru the year....you'll amaze yourself!!

Good luck!!

Mac

Just keep doing what you're doing and you'll be fine. The pendulum will swing in your favor, if you give it the time. You'll see after a while that every T you fish is an achievement in itself. Getting yourself over the pre-T jitters will also come with more of them behind you. Try not to ever look at yourself as having a "bad tournament". Always see that the lessons learned and the mistakes made are burned into memory as experience builders. Most pros will tell you that to be blessed with winning a few, you have to lose a bunch to get there. If you're enjoying the ride, take your time and have a ball!!! :D

Latest posts

Back