Battery Recommendation

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul P

Reaction score
I need to replace my cranking battery and 2 trolling batteries (24 volt trolling motor). I don't fish tournaments but do full days of fishing. What brand batteries do you recommend that will not break the bank?

Thanks

Paul

Hey Paul,

You will get various responses to what brand of battery to get. In most cases, its a Ford, Chevy, Dodge thing. One thing for sure, you pay for what you get. I have a 13 year old Nitro that came with interstates. They lasted 6 years. Bought another set, they too, lasted 6 years. Last year though, I went with Trojan's. No reason except for the dealer I had do my lower unit seals only sold Trojans and I got a package deal. Great batteries. Lots of power. I feel you cant go wrong with either set.

Max

We bought Optima blue tops just over a year ago and had one fail just recently. It might have been a fluke because it looked "used" when we bought it. However got it replaced free. Before those we had Interstate batteries those lasted 5 years. I don't think you can go wrong with Interstate, unless you want a sealed AGM battery, but that's a whole'nother Ford, Chevy thing too... :lol:

I'm with fatrap. Running BPS batteries going on three years with no problems. Had Interstates. Lasted less than three - AND I took care of them (topped distilled water, charged with smart charger after a day on the water, etc.). On sale, the BPS' run just under $100/battery at the Group 27 size.

In batts, you DEFINITELY get what you pay for. Personally, I don't like the Interstates. Went through 4 in 2 years on my TM. I gave them the benefit of the doubt on the first 2 but when the second 2 went out, I trashed them and went with the Wally World ones. I averaged 3 years on every set of those I bought and that was with me guiding and on the TM all the time. I will get AGM's on my next boat and I will pay out the nose. It is worth it if you are going to keep your rig for a while.

TOXIC

Well, my 2004 PT 175 is still on it's original interstat starting battery.....hard to believe but true. But I must admit, I check the cells before I go out now with a hydro meter because I know it has to go out soon. 7-8 years for a battery is un-heard of.....the interstate troll battery lasted over 5 years and when I changed it I went with another brand only because I could not find an interstate dealer close to home.

Starting batts are a different beast. I had the original.....small....Interstate in my boat for 7 years and the only reason I took it out was because CIII gave me an AC Delco that he won in a tournament. The interstate is still in my garage and it was good the last time I checked. That would put it at 10 years old now.

TOXIC

I would prefer you to spend the "extra" on a good "crank" battery. You'll need a 1000CCA / 800MCA battery for your {115 EFI} outboard. Troll motor batteries....find a good source close by, consider warranty and cost. Since you are a recreational boater, don't get caught up with having the "best". An old timer once told me...."judge a battery by how much it weighs"...truer words could not have been spoken. I have had extremely good luck with EXIDE. ;)

Latest posts

Back