Anyone know about appliances???

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TritonGlenn

Reaction score
OK... I know this is a weird one, but I was hoping there would be someone that has an answer to this, as I'm a bit frustrated right now. We have a refrigerator / freezer - nice side by side Sears Kenmore (model 253 makes it a Frigidaire / Electrolux brand). We paid almost $2K for it. Very nice. I love it.

Problem: Our new home has all stainless steel front appliances, but the house does not come with a refrigerator/freezer. This fridge is black. It doesn't match, and my wife wants it to. I think it's very stupid to go buy another one at $2K +, just so it matches, but I understand her reasoning. New home (dream home actually), and she wants it "right", not half-a**. Don't like it, but completely understand and support it.

So... to my question - does anyone know if you can buy replacement doors of another color for a refrigerator??? I know that may sound dumb, but I was thinking - what would happen if you just needed a replacement door? I'm sure SOMEONE has to sell replacements. I was thinking I may be able to get away with a few hundred dollars for stainless doors vice a few thousand... but can't find anything on the web.

So... can anyone help keep a fellow fishermans "fishing money" from becoming "new refrigerator" money? :lol:

All the best,

Glenn

Hey Glenn,

A really quick on-line search looks like you may have luck in looking for what you want. I know it's different but a couple of years ago we got brand new different color fronts and sides for our Sears dish washer.

BUT even if you can replace the doors, won't the rest of the black unit show?

There used to be a guy in my area that advertised 'painting' old appliances to make them "look like new". I never believed he could really do it but I saw him at an elderly neighbors house one day and I asked if I could see what he did. She invited me in and he changed her refrigerator and stove from that Avocado Green color to an egg shell color and it looked great. It was hard to believe. He used an enamel he mixed himself and a low density sprayer. He also had a heat gun that he used quite a bit but I couldn't really tell just what he was doing with it..

Maybe there's someone in your area like that? I haven't seen anyone around here like that for many a year. Good Luck!

Uncle Billy

Most stainless refridgerators, the sides are black. If you can change the doors, it would work. Not sure if it would be practicle or feasible.

Uncle Billy,

I know a guy that does that locally, but he can't do much about making it stainless steel. Good idea though.

Tee,

It's already black. That's the problem - she wants stainless steel.

cqbaker,

Dead on the money! That's a great site. I found both of my replacement refrigerator doors for a little over $350 - $194.35 and $167.45. Problem is, I'm only getting "black" because the model number I'm giving them is for a black refrigerator. I'm going to call them today and see if they have options. Thanks!!!

John,

You hit on my main reason for wanting to change them - the rest of the appliances do have black sides with stainless fronts. All thats keeping this refrigerator from matching are the front doors. Everything else would fit in just fine. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks everyone!

All the best,

Glenn

When I first moved in our current house, the dishwasher had just about every color panel that was behind the front panel....very cool.

Black,white,avacado,brown and even a stainless panel.

http://www.liquidstainlesssteel.com/

http://www.fauxsteel.com/index.html

I saw this on tv looked good hope it helps

You know why brides wear white???? A guy wants his dishwasher to match the stove and refrigerator.:lol:

fatrap

I'm guessing that you could, but my refrigerator (fairly new) stand out and the top is visible. So changing the doors would leave mine with a very visible black top.

Also, many of the newer refrigerator's have 'stuff in the doors'. Therefore, you got to hook up and such.

My personal suggestion - sell the existing fridge (yes, you'll take a beating) and buy your wife the one she wants. Remember the rules of marriage in that the two most important words you can say are:

'Yes Dear'.

Tex

:rolleyes:

Fatrap, told the ladies in the office your quick little joke and no one laughed? Maybe they didn't get it?

The manufacturer, try them, or did I miss it that you already had?

If it is a Whirlpool let me know and I can contact them as their corporate office is down the road from me.

Randy!

Latest posts

Back