Anybody else collect old reels, rods, lures, tackle?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Meyer

Reaction score
Hey I have posted about my collecting... Then Fatrap tells about his mermaid lure collection ;)... So, anybody else collect old vintage tackle, etc?

Yes, Greg I collect Pflueger & Mercury Minnow lures. :wacko: I have been collecting for about 15 years.

How about posting some pics.... I'd like to see some of your "prizes", and I'll post a few of my best...

Will try later I work @ Gander Mtn. 2 days a week & today is one of them so it's off to work I go.

If I remember how to put pics. on the board. Have a good day.

I guess sine my wife's grandmother passed away and left me her husbands tackle boxes, I now collect hand made musky lures. I have a bunch of them that have never been fished and are in the original boxes. 3 tackle boxes full to be exact. I also saw in there that he had his fishing licenses from the 30's forward.

TOXIC

I used to collect baseball hats starting in 1991 when I started travelling around the US on business, after 6 months and 25 cities, I decided I would run out of space before I had enough hats!!! LOL so I collect dust, lint and passport entry stamps of late!!!

Trep

I've got quite an impressive collection of soft plastics that I'll probably never use. :lol:

I started collecting old Shakespeare and Pflueger reels a few years back, but only bought a few that were in excellent shape.

Pflueger Rocket No. 1355

Pflueger Trump No. 1943

Shakespeare Markoff Model GE 1964S (with original box)

I'd like to buy more someday, but I like "functioning" reels. Not that I'd ever use them, but if I pick them up at a flee market, and the reel doesn't still function, I put it back and move on.... which seems to be the case most of the time. The three I own, I could put on a rod today and go fishing with them.

I've also got a few old lures - not many - just a few. An old Creek Chub Pikie, A Dowagic Spook, Hawaian ******, etc... no real high collectors value, but cool old lures to have around.

I've also got a full bottle of Pflueger Speede Reel Oil No. 379

I've got a few spools of old line as well - full spools. I've got:

1) a two-pack of "Mason Super Soft" Spinning line, 10lb test, made in Otisville, Michigan

2) two spools of "Sunset" Spinner Braided Monofilament, 12lb wet test, Coreless Braid - Waterproofed - it's a multicolored braided line, and I have one full spool, and one almost full spool. The full spool still has the original line holder, keeping the line from unraveling.

3) a two pack of "Gem" Baitcasting, 15lb test, Waterproof, dupont nulon line. It's black, and it feels like a braid or dacron of some type. It's in a clear plastic box, wtih Sunset fishing lines on it, but it notes that it is 2-100 yard spools, but the line inside the box is two 50 yards spools, so I think the original owner put them in this box.

4) a spool of Trilene XL - looks to be the original packaging, or somewhere close to the original type packaging when Trilene first came out with the line. It's a hard plastic box, wrapped wtih a cardboard liner, with "New! Breakthrough" printed on it. I don't know how old it is though - it is a 1/8lb spool, 640yds of 12lb test. It has a little pamplet inside, with "Curt Gowdy" on the front cover - (who is Curt Gowdy???)

Anyway... not much of a collector - just have some cool older stuff laying around the "fishing room". :p

All the best,

Glenn

Ahhh That is what I started to do... Started to have a few old things laying around the family room for "atmosphere".... By the way, I have some shelves for that cool old stuff made out of old wooden water skies (with the bindings off) on shelf brackets... they look nice and get some real interest..

I never saved my old stuff darn it. Would that Coke can I used for a reel be worth anything now?:rolleyes: I never had enough fishing stuff to collect until I got older and then I was still using it all.. I do have some old Penn SpinFisher reels that still work great and I have one each Billy Westmorland "Worm Special" fiberglass rod and one "Graphite96" Tourney Special.

I had two of each but they finally broke and I believe that was about as early as you could get for graphite. I remember wondering if I should buy it.:) Both have Tennessee handles.

I do have a few old wooden lures that I picked up from searching hardware stores on Maryland's Eastern Shore a long time ago. A long, long time ago Nancy found a beautiful Cherry wood and glass display case somewhere and for a birthday had a lot of those lures mounted in the case. It looked great and I was really pleased until I found out she threw the boxes away.:angry: She still doesn't know how %*^$%@##&* mad I was.:(

It's not fishing but I have every Topps Baseball Card from 1959 - 1995 and quite a few cards even earlier and all not Topps but Fleer, Bowman, etc...Just as I was about to sell some or all the market went south so I'll just hang on to them for a while more.

Uncle Billy

Latest posts

Back