Any walleye in Lake Anna?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Sabin

Reaction score
Any one ever catch walleye in Lake Anna, VA. My brother in law wants to go walleye fishing and Lake Anna is the only place in Northern Va that I've ever heard of having them.

Any ideas?

Ken - never heard of walleye in Lake Anna. Doesn't mean they aren't there - I just think its too warm. Now I HAVE caught walleye on the upper Potomac (tasty!). That's really far up around Sandy Point and Brunswick area. There are some deep holes in the river where they hang out. Best bet for fishing up there is by canoe or fishing kayak - or jet boat if you have access to one. Nice thing is that MD and VA have reciprocity on fresh water fishing licenses for that stretch of the river.

Sure it does and some bigguns besides. Usually they are under the stripers and in deeper water around dike 3. Now mark my words, Anna is not known as an eye destination and they are few and far between but there are some in there. Heck, we catch them on the hot side over by the shoot out of canal 2. Carlos caught a pretty good one on a crank over there. Your best bet is to go to the VDGIF website and see where they stock them. I have a 165 acre lake 5 min from the house where thy stock them and in one day I limited out in an hour dragging a curly tail grub for crappie. I'll take walleye over paper mouths any day of the week!!

TOXIC

burke lake is 209 ac and is loaded with them. we have caugbht them up to 10 lbs.

if you go to anna. try dike 3. but they will be deep.

mike c

Okay - learn something new every day! Now I know what those fisherman always anchor off of canal 1!! May have to try it - wait, I'm still figuring out how to catch bass :D:D

Jim, they stocked them back in the day but Anna isn't conducive to spawning and maintaining a strong Walleye population. That's the only way we can keep Greg Meyer out of our water!! Another thing a lot don't know is that there are Smallmouth in Anna as well. They were stocked for a few years to see if they would "take" and they didn't. I have seen some weighed in at tournaments but never caught one myself.

Throw deep diving cranks parallel with the sea wall at the end of canal 2 in about 12 feet of water for Walleye on the hot side. There is also a strong population of Yellow Perch over on the hot side as well.

TOXIC

Thanks Tox. I will try that. Been fishing off the canal walls of #2 down to the end and usually can get a bass or two - usually! I'll definitely try that over the upcoming holiday weekend.

Ken - if you're around, come on by! Maybe we can find the walleye :D

welll...LAKE GASTON has a bunch...but the trophy lake is....PHILLPOTT...in fact..this used to be the brown fish (smallmouth) center...but the "eyes" have taken over:cool:

Hammer is right, caught one by accident! Would have been perfect eatign size too. Not one since though.....

Latest posts

Back