Any Quitters Out There?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DawgFish 65

Reaction score
Day 3 without a smoke. I'm cheating though--using the patch. Can say that I've had virtually no urges to smoke, but that's because I'm still introducing nicotine into my bloodstream. This is at least buying me some time to figure out what I can do rather than smoke, so when I actually do go off the patch, hopefully the transition won't be too harsh. Just lost a buddy at work to lung cancer (smoker), so I figured now would be a good time. Anybody else in the same boat? Hahahah, get it...boat?? *Lame*

Mike

Hang in there Mike is all I can say. I quit when my wife was pregnant with my daughter (she's 21 now). I never was a real heavy smoker....about 1/2 pack a day unless I was out drinking...either coffee or beer. I only suffered a couple of weeks and then I was through with the addiction. I went through the holier than thou non-smoker thing for a few years where I would ***** and gripe at anybody I saw light up. Now I just keep my mouth shut and try to avoid the second hand smoke.

If you need any motovation I can send you a picture of my brothers grave. He died of emphysema a few years ago...slowly sufficated to death. He finally quit suffering at the age of 58.

I never used it but I hear the Nicorete gum works pretty good too. However some guys get hooked on it as a substute. If you ever watch Don Imus in the morning you'll see him constantly slipping something in his mouth. That's probably a good thing because I substituted food for the cigarettes and gained a ton and a half that I've been trying to loose ever since.

Good luck.

Harpo

Mike,

Stick with it. I quit dipping, going on 17 months ago. Being in the military, and having friends who still do it. It was a hard battle at first, but I made it.

Hang in there

MeBassn

Eric H.

I smoked for 10 years, and at the time I quit, I was up to two packs a day. I stopped cold turkey - no patch, no gum, no nicotine anything. I was able to quit due to a few things.

1) I had some VERY caring friends, who I thank to this day, stepped in and told me I had a problem, and needed to quit (when they see you hacking all the time.... they take notice).

2) I WANTED to quit. I put my mind to it. I didn't say I was TRYING to quit... I said "I quit".

3) Cinnimon sticks / Peppermint sticks to chew on. The peppermint was sweet, so I eventually went to chewing on cinnimon sticks. Tasted more like bark, but it gave me something to chew on, and took my mind off of inhaling cigarette smoke. I also kept a steady supply of round peppermints / butterscotch candies in my pocket all the time.

4) I got rid of every bit of smoking related equipment I owned. I threw out all ashtrays, lighters (even the nice little wind-proof ones I got with my Marlboro miles), cigarettes, cigars, Marboro banner from the living room :D, etc....

5) I talked to a doctor. I read some books. I found out some very interesting things about nicotine.....

a) It takes your body almost twice the time it took you to get the nicotine into your body... to get it out. Therefore - I smoke 10 years.... it takes my body almost 20 to be fully free of it.

b) The cravings I had were scary to me. I thought "Jez... If I am "jonesing" this bad for a smoke... this stuff really is a drug. It has withdrawl symptoms. They may be all in your head, but just the fact that withdrawl symptoms exist, proves that point. It's a drug, and a powerfully addiciting one.

c) You should see the crap that came out of my lungs for the first month after I quit. Man! :blink: Disgusting! I coughed up a lot of crap for a while. I coughed worse than when I smoked. I felt much better after that part was over with.

6) If you need any proding to stay off.... consider this - 5-6 years after quiting, I was still periodicly having cravings to smoke. If I was hanging out with a smoker, at a bar or party, etc.... I even had dreams every once in a while that I had started up again. Now that's some addictive stuff.

I never pass judgement on anyone smoking, unless they are doing it in a no-smoking zone, or smoking near my son (and I'll remove us from that situation before saying something to them). I know it's tough to quit, and I wish you all the best in succeeding.

All the best,

Glenn

Hang in there dude. I finally quit by using the ZYBAN pill(I think that is what it was). 20 years of smoking and a lot of trying. The pill is the best way I found but everyone has thier own crutch. Been 7 years now. I know what you are going through and hope you come out on the other side. My wife quit at the same time so that helped.

Your biggest challenge will be at two times.

1. If you go out drinking, bowling etc. anywhere drinking is happening. It's so easy to say just one. Then BAM your back at square one.

2. My worse time was when it was quiet and I wasn't doing anything. Like on a Sunday morning with the newspaper and a cup of good coffee on the back deck at sunrise. That was the hardest.

hang in there and keep us posted on your progress, we're pulling for you. (Realllly)

I took an eight week course, very close to an AA course, that and a couple of meds, I am now smoke free. I started at the young age of 13, I am now 57. It was hard, but the course and the support helped very much. If you want more infor send an E-mail. I know what you are going through.

cq

Yep, I'm a quitter. Yesterday, the 6th., was my 14th month anniversary. I did it cold turkey also. I was having a pretty serious back surgery done and my wife and doctor were climbing all over me to quit. I figured I was going to be in the hospital at least four days unable to smoke so why not just quit then.

Believe it or not, most peole's physical habit is over by then. What's left is the psycological part. After you eat, after Harrumph, well you know, while fishing, etc.

You can do it. Just put them down. That'sa after going to the drug store and getting a bunch of sugar free candy and gum and what saved me, sunflower seeds. Git er done.

Uncle Billy

Hang in there you'll make it. I started smoking before I was 10 years old and quit when I was 42. It's been over 8 years now. I just made up my mind I wasn't paying for their lawsuits and overly high N.Y.S. Taxe on cigerettes. Instead I spend a lot more now on tackle.

Now a days thats easily over $100.00 a month.:);)

Mike I quit 13 or 14 months ago after smoking 3 packs a day for 40 years. I tried Zyban, patches, niccarettes, hypnotism and anything else you can think off that didn't work. I finally did it by doing self talks telling my self 'I do not smoke', 'these things taste terrible' 'cigarettes are bad for me' and such. I started this about three weeks before actually quitting along with the thing that I believe help the most. I prayed every morning that God would help me quit and take away my desire to smoke. I walked in one day and layed a pack and a half and my zippo on the counter and they laid there for 3 months without me touching them. My wife finally put them away somewhere but they are still here somewhere. I have had no desire for one since, unless I stop my prayers, then the desire creeps back to remind me to prayer about it again.

About 5 months after quitting I was diagnosed with lung cancer, the docs said I will survive 9 to 30 months but I plan on proving them wrong.

Keep up the good work and leave them alone. :)

Ya know, I just freaking messed up...I tried to make a post thanking each and every one of you individually, but I clicked on a link (wrong browser), and lost everything. So please accept my generic thank you to all that have replied to this post. I'm about to hit the sack as I have to be up in a few hours, and can say that I've conquered day #3 successfully. Small step, but a start nevertheless. Please know that I took each and every one of your words to heart, and I can't even begin to express my appreciation in the fact that you all took the time to respond and encourage me.

JDJ...I consider myself a pretty tough guy...but you managed to tug a tear out of me. Just when I'm about to piss and moan about my day because it wasn't all that I expected, I'll think of you brother...you're certainly an inspiration...you CAN and WILL prove them all wrong!!!

Again, many thanks to you all...although I don't post much, I know that I can count on the folks on this board to give a brother a hand. Looking forward to day #4..........

Mike

Hang in there! I quit years ago but I still want one every day! Chew gum and stay out of bars. It helps me any way.

I quit about 10 yrs ago, cold turkey. The nicotine craving goes away in about 3 days, the habit takes longer. I carried fake cigarettes, basically a giant filter for a month or so, to get me through my morning coffee, breaks, etc...

Rich D

I had my last one two weeks before Christmas. It feels great. It's helped me improve everything in my life as a result. More enthusiasm and energy. More money in my bank account. It's just plain foolish to go back.

I quit about 14 years ago using the patches. They were new at the time, required a prescription and were around $50 for a 2 week supply. At that time they recommended you stay on the 21mg patches for 6 weeks, then 4 weeks on the 14mg patches and finally 2 weeks on the 7mg. I did 2 weeks on each one and they helped a lot with the cravings. I had previously quit for a few months at a time with the nicorrette gum, but I always went back to smoking. Like others have said, the main thing is to decide you are a former smoker and then don't temp fate nor look back. I still have gum around just in case and cinnamon candy helped me as well. The time will go quickly and you will never regret your decision. Good Luck and have faith in yourself, you can do it!

Larry

I don't smoke but have had many friends who did and aren't here now. One more is getting buried this Thursday. Sorry to be so morbid but I firmly believe those things are being made more toxic and poisonous every year. The very best of luck with your quitting this is one situation where a quitter is a winner.

Be strong.

fatrap

DawgFish, if you consider yourself a tough guy, prove it and don't pick up another one of those coffin nails. I am willing to bet you can do it!

Uncle Billy

Dawgfish, congrats on taking that big step ;) i quit 16 yrs. ago but i have had a few since then until my mother passed 2yrs ago come August from heart disease caused by smoking and have no desire for one now at all. You got 3 days under you already and we know you can do it!!;). Uncle Billy said it well :D and JDJ, you keep fighting and we'll keep prayin ;)

Steve ><}}}}'>

wow! You guys have inspired me to quit. I've tried a few times over the years and have failed each time.

JDJ. You my friend are true inspiration. God Bless.

I went cold turkey 11 years ago. Easiest thing I ever did, and I smoked for 33 years.

"couse I had heat stroke and that helped me to realize I needed to put more effort into quitting. Don't miss 'em a bit. But in all honesty fresh smoke smells good some times.

Mostly it stinks when some walks by who has been smoking.

Don't give up quitting, you can do it. You'll love yourself for it.

I also kept telling myself that I wasn't going to let a 3" piece of paper and weeds get the better of me. That seemed to really help during those stress times when you think you need a smoke or when I was working at the bar.

Rich D

Thanks everybody, ya'll are great!! Day 4--no sweat. Just wish that my wife would consider doing the same. I could nag and complain to her about it, but I'm pretty sure she knows where the scissors are. Feisty little critter she is.