any diesel truck guys on here?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Zechman

Reaction score
Lookin at purchasing a diesel pickup, looking for anyone who owns any of the new ones, any brand, I'm not loyal to any anymore. Owned silvy's then f150's back to silvy's now have a 09 ram hemi(the trade in). Basically nothing to do with the boat, have a 30ft camper now, the hemi is "ok" but will be upgrading to a 5th whel probly around 10K pounds unloaded. Just seein if anyone out there has any good things to say about the big 3 diesels, 2500 or 3500 SRW.

Thanx,

-Mike

I had a new 2011 dodge 3500 4x4 dually earlier this year, It was the 6.7 cummins with a six speed manual. I didnt really have any trouble with the truck but I felt it was really under powered and got terrible fuel mileage. Im talking 9 to 10 mpg's on trip unloaded, 5-6 mpgs loaded. Imo All of the strict emissions have ruined all the brands of deisel pickups. I dont feel that there is any bennefit from owning one unless you are using it for work. They get bad mileage, gas cost more than diesel, and the power to weight ratio is not as good as most half ton trucks. Just my opinion, not the gospel.

09 GMC Sierra 3/4 ton with Duramax. IMO, best diesel out there. The ride and handling are far better than any of the other domestics, and noise level, fuel mileage and power is hard to beat. Been 3 weeks without my truck due to repairs from a hail storm and cant wait to get her back. I pull a 39 ft fifth wheel behind her, and hum along at 70mph no problem with engine revving at 1750. When I punch it to pass slower traffic my heart doesnt even skip a beat. May be a little pricier than competition, but its well worth it.

Mike im with big fish on this one.07 3/4 duramax with allison tran.My wife works for ford and we wouldnt own the 6.0,6.4,or the 6.7 due to the fact of haveing to lift the whole cab off for most engine work done to them.God forbid when your warranty runs out.17 hours x 90.00 per hour,not counting the actual repair.Cummins makes one of the top of the line diesels but the rest of the truck wont hold up.I can give you numbers of previouse dodge owners that no longer own them or had them lemon lawed.Gm has a 100,000 mile warranty on the engine and transmission.Ive got 76,000 all trailered miles with no problem and it pulls like crazy.You wont find a great mileage diesel due to the diesel wars amongst manufactureres.Just my 2 cents.Happy shopping.

They are all decent "consumer motors". BUT....if you had to pick the most durable....the hands down winner would be the Cummins motor. When I had mine "worked" on by Jannetty racing, his comments were that there was nothing I could possibly do {other than neglect} to break the motor. Even in heavily modded applications they hold up where the others won't. My ideal truck?.....a Ford body / chassis, Chevy allison trans...and the Cummins motor. Really though...if I had to do it again, it would be a gasser....diesels are too expensive unless you MUST have one or NEED it. :blink:

Thanx for the replies fellas, I drove the 2011 sierra last week, and got the 2012 Ram 2500 this week for test drive. So far, strickly speaking looks in and out, the Ram is much nicer, the new tranny is 800Ftlbs of tq. I thought the sierra seemed alittle more powerfull, but over all like the Ram better so far. I drive the Ford next week. In talking with others, the bad milege stated above should have been looked at but most people are sayin mileage is more like 13-14 towing heavy loads and 18+ unloaded on highway, but only after break in period.

With my Hemi I get 7-8 towing current camper, unloaded 20 highway driving speed limit, don't usually drive highway unlaoded though, so thats not a concern, my concern is towin alot(13 or more trips ayear) many over 300miles 1 way.

Pulling 896 Nitro, I get about 14 mpg(thats at 70 mph). If I can keep it at 60 its 15+. The truck is a 2011 f250 super duty, with about 4,000 miles on it. The one one road trip without the boat was from Col.Springs to Steamboat Springs it got 20 mpg and that was on the two lane higway. I get around 16.5 in town.

I've settled down since those days. I do put a dab or two of nitro-methane in my leaf blower though.....LOL:blink:

Bet you could blow your leaves into the next state with that!:lol:

Latest posts

Back