Anna Hot side report

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Zechman

Reaction score
Well, I hate to back to work today, but we had a blast on Anna again this year. we caught alot of fish although most were small dinks. But we did have a few 3-4 pounders, heres some pics. Both these fish were caught on 4" gulp sinking minnows hooked wacky style off of docks close to deep water. My wifes was 3lbs(personal best for her) and my Nephews was 4.5lbs(also a personal best)

Got to meet JimC as well, good to meet someone from the board, Jim, we'll have to hook up next year, we decided to stay for a full week next year.

anna08 012.jpg

anna08 004.jpg

Glad you had a good time. Numbers are always good with a big fish every now and then. Did you head up in the creeks at all?

TOXIC

Tox, we did, and the catch was very low. We tried hard fishin structure in shallow water, but it seemed the fish numbers and size were better around docks that were in the 8ft+ range of depth, and closer to the main lake channel. I was unsure why this was, last year we caught nice fish like that where there were no docks around beaver dams ect, but this year couldn't hook em up, so we stuck to the docks after day 2. whats the deal?

Hey Mike!

Great seeing you too. For next year, you'll have to stop up at the house (you can tie up at the dock!). I fished earlier that morning (okay, really I was running the new tin rig!) and I hooked up a couple at dike 1 and a couple of dinks off of canal 2, but nothing near what you got! Berkley Gulp - huh? Have to try that next time!! Glad you all had a good time!

Not knowing the lake conditions, water temp., etc. "Usually" the big fish go deep or up in the creeks after the spawn and the water warms up. I know the spawn was over because it was on the coldside. The big females will rest up shallow and under docks after spawning. When they are rested and fattened up a little, they will head back out for deeper water. Depending on water temp on the hotside it will usually be in the creeks and deepwater docks (like you found out).

TOXIC

Tox,

Water temp was 73 at the lake house, but up near the discharge it was 78, and lowere lake was 70, our big fish were all caught at the lower end off deep water docks, so we stuck to the main channel docks. On another note, we are gonna spend a full week there next year, but it will be in second week of June(so my nephews are out of school)is it tougher fishing that time of year, or is it still "hot"?

JIm, I forgot. I'll definetly take a rain check on the invite to the house, again nice to meet ya, and thanx for the hospitality, if we didn't have a 3 year old and a 6 week old to get back to, we would have taken ya up on the offer!!!!:D

It'll be pretty warm by then but the same patrterns will hold true. To find the coolest water (which is key in the summertime there), head to the dike 3 pond and work around in there. I caught a citation bass in that area in August!!

TOXIC

Mike - no problem! See you next year. Heck, don't feel you have to wait that long either - don't forget we'll have the Bill in VA Not-So-Memorial later this year!

As for next June, fishing stays pretty good for amateurs like me through about August when it gets way hot - then I head up to the upper Potomac to wade/fish! So you should be good on fishing Anna next year.

Thanx for the info guys, Tox is dike #3 the one at the lower end?(where the football field is) thats where we caught 2 of the big fish!!!!!

JIm, I know, its hard right now to go 4 hours for a short trip down there when I have 2 little girls at home, I'll definitley be gettin down more often when the 6 week old is alittle bigger

If you guys are talkin about Lake Anna (VA) I plan to visit there this weekend for the first time. I'm launching from the state park. Any tips on where to go from there for good fishin would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Tox, yeah I know, if we had more time down there(which is why we are goin for 7 days next year), we would have verntured to the cold side, i know that side very well, been fishin there for about 9 years, until last year we tried the hotside and loved the private feel, and less traffic and pressure. But Next year we will take a day or 2 and fish on the cold side too, i still have fond memories of the Rose Valley lunker, where i caught a 12 inch bass off a dock, and a HUGE(I'm talkin 8+pounder) came out after it and ate him, i lost both of them, good times to be had by all, i wish Pa had a place like y ou got down there

Jim. I for one found this lake very challenging to fish at first, but if ya stick with the basics you should do well, ya know main lake points, any structure like docks, rip rap, bridges ect. we had alot success back Pumunkey creek and the area around Christopher run campground, but the big fish we caught down there have been on the lower end where the water is clearer, see my member library for my brothers 6.5 pounder caught down that way, good luck

Jim,

Email me if you want more info. This was my last report on the cold side:

Caught my first citation of the year. Fish were in the creeks at mid-lake resting up under docks and in shallow water. How do I know they are resitng and feeding post spawn? The citation I caught wass 22 1/2 inches and just under 6lbs. Go figure. I had a larger fish on and broke her off at the boat because I had clients and could not get into the well to land her in my usual manner. Wrapped the line in my hand because I thought she was done and of course she had one more run left. Snap!! Plastics thrown under docks were the ticket. I used a 5 inch Senko in watermellon. Key was to find the creeks with baitfish. Some of the bass were cruising and the water had a slight stain which helped. Crappie are moving shallow. Clients limited out on Crappie also caught keeper White Perch, Yellow perch and some throwback Striper. Lake is in very good shape and the fish are healthy and feeding. I imagine the spwn is in full swing up in the rivers but it was too stained/muddy for me. Pictures of my catch and my clients are on Sturgeon Creek's website and in the brag book in the tackle store.

TOXIC

ps The fish in the rivers WILL bite in muddy water as long as it has been that way for more than 2 days. Fish Ware Creek and the 2 coves uplake from there. Also fish the docks across the lake from the state park. Plastics are your friend right now!!
scan0002aa.jpg

Nebraska or not Tox, you certrainly look like youre from the hills in that pic! Not only that the red bibs kinda match your skirt!

I forgot about the skirt piucs! does kinda match! Needs some plaid added is all! maybe we can hook Hammer up when we are up there??

If you show up at the MVM sportin' this,.........you'll become fish food in a hurry!!:angry:

Toxaci.jpg

Remember who's ridin up there with me and has my back.......:eek::eek::eek: Are you skeered? Besides, don't get jealous just because I'm pretty, it's a curse!!:lol::lol::lol:

TOXIC

Latest posts

Back