Advice please

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T AMBURGEY

Reaction score
Ive put new gas lines on and new plugs and plug wires. always run the cocktail of additives. My boat runs good after take off, She idles well but alota times after it passes through the no wake zone when I step on the hot foot she will die. this will happen two or three times and then when it finally takes off runs good, after fishing a while the same thing again. its a 1992 EVINRUDE 150 SPITFIRE

After you pass through the no wake zone do you free rev the engine out of gear a couple of times before putting it back in gear and hitting the throttle?

BF

Yes I can rev it all I want but when I take off it dies

Replace the in-line primer bulb. When they go bad, they often will idle fine, until you begin to run wide open and it begins to collapse. I'll bet you're losing the prime.

The primer bulb is brand new, second one Ive tried, Its runs well once it gets started.

I suspect it is in the carbs... SO, I would run double dose of SeaFoam for a tank or two to see if that "cleans" out the problem. Also, what oil are you using? IOf it is not a synthetic or semi-synthetic blend you may be getting some carbon build up from the idling...

Im no mechanic, but sounds like it may be vapor locking? Just a thought.

I had a 175 Johnson GT that had the same symptoms. I changed to splitfire plugs and that seemed to help

I will look into the spitfire plugs and run the seafoam I run the recomended sea foam amounts . So I will run it richer

Thanks guys

todd,

you could try this. with the cowling off squeeze the primer ball repeatadly while looking for any evidence of fuel i'd bet you have a leak of some kind.

look all around the motor especialy in the area of the carbs amd fuel pump,filter, carb, hoses frequently spring pin hole leaks that affect fuel presure after some time has expired between starting and going.

Latest posts

Back