Abnormal Tire Wear

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Whritenour

Reaction score
I have an '06 482 with standard Nitro trailer. Bought it used with about 30 hrs on it last summer. I noticed when I bought that the tread on the tires was "bumpy" or "hills and valleys" if you will on the tread ribs. Most wear seemed to be on outside edges of tires and I figured the guy ran too low pressure. Got it home and put the recommended 50 lbs in each tire. I estimate I've put about 400 miles on the tires since then. The "hills and valleys" have not disappeared and I've noticed on one tire the second from the outside most rib is completely bald..........I've read where folks highly recommend balancing the tires on the trailer - wondering if this may be the problem? Have not noticed any vibration from trailer tho.....thanks for any advice.

Balancing should take care of the problem. It will not correct the present wear.

Had a similar problem. About 30 days later had a blow out at 60 mpm lucky I was able to get of the I40 as soon as it went, thinks to a nice trucker who seen the tire thread blow off and let me cut in front of him. The only good thing was a dual axle trailer and a goodyear tire store at the exit.

I've got some radials ordered and will have them balanced. I got under the trailer yesterday and just eyeballing it, it would appear to me my axle is bowed - unless that is normal? It seems to be bowed upwards in the center - does anyone else's look like that or is it supposed to be perfectly straight across?

The only thing I could suggest to look at would be your trailer spindles...the tops of them specifically if your axle is bowing up in the middle. Make sure the spindles are not breaking their welds from the axle. If the tops of a spindle weld is broke then the top of that tire will fall away from the fender (just slightly) and over time could possibly be putting your axle in a bind. I know it sounds crazy but had it happen to me except I only figured why my tires always looked like they were toeing out until after the spindle and tire came flying off....yeah trying getting that fixed while on the side of the road.

Anyway while sitting on the side of the road looking at my broke spindle I could see where there was rust on an old break and then new metal where the fresh break had just occurred.

If any of your spindles are not true and plum then the rest of your trailers suspension and alignment will work to compensate for the one bad wheel. i.e. forcing your axle to be pinched or curved, wearing tires awkward or quickly.

So check all of your spindles, all 360 degrees of each spindle.

just a suggestion. It can't hurt to check.

E

Latest posts

Back