'98 884 Savage

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joel Radner

Reaction score
I want to put a 10 in Jack Plate on this boat. Does any one know if i have to replace the stearing cable to do this, or is the stock one long enough to carry the set back. And if any one knows how low the motor should be set to get the best perfomance, that would be great too. 150 EFI merc.

I would dought that the stock cable is long enough.

Isn't a 10" a little to much setback for a 150?

When I got my new boat last year I asked the rigger the question as to what size JP I needed.

He said the general rule is 150 - 175's get 6"

200's get 8"

225's get 10"

250's+ get what ever they want.

he said that to much setback will cause the boat setup to lose it's "sweet spot" making it perform worse than without one and especially worse than w/the proper size plate.

As far as motor height start at 3 1/2" below center pad, and go up from there 1/4" increments until you get the performance you are wanting or all it is going to do.

Motor height also depends on style of prop you are running, props such as Merc's Tempest are designed to run at higher transom heights, others will not preform if to high. KENNY

J -

Call Bob Bourget at Marine USA in Worchester, MA..... He's a member of this board and is very familiar with Nitro's of that vintage. Even more important, he really knows what he is doing! Sorry, I don't have the #.

me!

Bob emailed me back and isnt sure if the 10" will fit, but said that the 6" will definately fit. So I think six inch is the way to go. Thank you very much guys.

Joel

Between Bob Bourget and Pat Goff.....

I think we have access to some of the best set-up minds in the Nitro/Tracker arsenal!

Latest posts

Back