898 prop problems

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Eder2

Reaction score
I have an 03 898 with a 200EFI. I also put on an 8 inch Rite Hite plate. I'm running a 25 pitch Trophy that I had some cup put in for a hole shot. It only runs about 62 on the GPS but I can't seem to find the right height for the jack plate.I have a poor hole shot with it about half loaded with fuel and livewells half full. I put the plate on and started going up until I ran out of water presure. Then I went back down half an inch. The more I go down the less speed I get. Does anybody know the height from the center line of the hull that plate should be set at. Or am I over-proped? Should I go down to a 24?I love the boat but this prop problem is driving me crazy.

John I ran a 898 w/ opti 225, I was lucky, I ran a 26 Tempest triple cupped (2-open 1-large) on a 6inch plate propshaft height at 2 1/2 below pad (water pressure @ 20 psi WOT) fully loaded it would run 72 -the holeshot was good and quick for a 898. I did alot of work moving weight and balancing the boat. It was a duel console also. It was hard to set up but it was worth the trouble. I did find out that trim extenders helped on the Top end. the holeshot is a hard subject -I set mine up where when you tuck in and stomp the throttle the prop blows out ---SOME, thenm feather back to let it hook up and mash it out. In rough water even more feathering.

Back