85 pound squirrel

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TritonGlenn

Reaction score
Watching TV this morning, and I hear my dog crunching on something. I dismissed it as her chewing on her dog bone, until I heard a crack. I turned to ask my wife what it was, and at the same time my dog comes walking into the living room, delicately chooses a Walnut from the big bowl of mixed nuts on the coffee table, and proceeds back to her spot on the staircase landing. I asked my wife, "She isn't eating those, is she?", and that is when my wife informed me she has been taking Walnuts from the dog all week.

I took the nut from her and moved the bowl, and now she is going crazy. She's whining and sniffing around the TV stand I put them on top of, which I find hilarious and sad at the same time.

I thought I owned a pure bred AKC Rhodesian Ridgeback.... Turns out, I have a 85 pound squirrel living in my home. :lol::lol::lol:

No more nuts for doggie. :p She's pissed. :lol::lol::lol:

All the best,

Glenn

Those pieces of shell can't feel good coming out the other end.:eek:

that's way too funny!:lol::lol: I had a lab back in Oregon growing up and would take him fishing on the river with me. He would wade out with me, stick his whole head under water and pick up rocks from the river bottom. Then he would go back to the bank and stack em' up in a pile, craziest thing I ever saw but kept him occupied:blink:

JP

my lab eats freshly fallen pecans when she's outside , she carefully cracks them and separates the nut from the hull. She'll try and sneak a whole one in the house from time to time

Vet said she really shouldn't but if she's not eating the hull she should be OK. Said the dogs love the oils in the pecans.

JS

Just remember, Glenn-there are worse things she could be eating!:D

Actually G8rmac, she does eat much worse things. She's definitely a "counter surfer". If it's food, she's gonna eat it. My wife and I are good about it, but my 6 year old has a bad habit of either leaving his plate on the table, or putting food within easy reach while he "just will be gone for a minute". I always tell him - Yeah, well that's about 59 seconds too long son. :lol:

She gets put in her kennel quite often lately. Ever since we put up the tree, she has been "sampling" the ornaments.

She's been through beginner and intermediate obedience training, and she did really well - but she's lapsing now. My wife and I have been reading all the tips and techniques - we are "Cesar Millan" fans... but nothing seems to be working lately. My wife suggested giving her a brand new collar for Christmas.... one with some little electric points on the inside and a remote control for us. :p :lol::lol::lol:

We will keep working with her. She's a good dog - just constantly hungry.

All the best,

Glenn

Well, my Golden doesn't 'counter surf', but if she doesn't get her share of peanut butter every day, she will give my wife 'what for'. She can stare a whole through a wall, when she wants something.

Bought her some 'pencil sized' hard rawhide snacks this weekend. Takes her about 10 seconds at most to dispose of them.

Tex

Glenn,

My dog is the same way. She will eat just about anything that looks edible. I guess some dogs are just that way, i know my Yellow Lab is for sure. She doesnt "counter surf" per-se and wont just take something off the table but if any one is anywhere near the kitchen or has any morsel of food she goes into food stalker mode. She also knows where the treats are kept and if anyone goes near the jar she positions herself and trys to look all cute to score a treat. Its pretty funny to watch her when she wants to get a treat from the jar. The good thing is she thinks ice cubes are treats too so i can give those to her instead and she is happy and it keeps her from getting fat.

Tex,

have you ever given your golden peanut butter stuffed in a kong toy? I do that from time to time for mine and it keeps her occupied for like an hour trying to lick the peanut butter out.

I was always told not to feed dogs any kind of walnuts. I think the black walnuts were the worst kind of nut to give to an dog. I can't remenber where I read that though.

RoyC

We have two dogs, a dog and a doberman, they both eat pecans that fall from the trees in the yard and to my wifes shagrin, her tomatoes. So there is a temporary fence around her tomatoes, in the growing season.

Had a 90+ pound Basset. One time we had the table set at a big gathering when we walked into the dining room she was sitting in the chair at the head of the table and finishing off the stick of butter in the butter dish. She hadn't touched anything but I am sure she would have if we had not come in at that time!

Like she owned the place.

Randy!

Yes, did the 'pb in a toy' thing for awhile, but it somewhat became a mess and my wife didn't think it was a good deal moving forward. Key point, I learned long ago not to even attempt to have a disagreement about the cleanliness of things, as she keeps a very 'neat' home and I'd simply lose.

So now, 'Maggie' either gets it on a plate, a spoon - something that can simply go in the dishwasher and be 'ready cleaned'. Dishwasher didn't do good enough on the 'toy'.

And my dog will eat any type of nut on the ground like candy. We can't leave her for any time in the fall out in the backyard, for she will 'down' acorns like M&M's!

Tex

Had a Lab that would surf the counter, table and trash. One year he ate the Christmas ham, another year the cranberry bread and he even grabbed 2 packages of frozen ground venison from the sink where it was thawing. I started setting him up by putting something tasty on the counter and a mousetrap on the edge. Had to do the same thing with the trash because he would lift the lid to snack.

A few snaps with the trap changed his mind. It didn't hurt him and I didn't have to correct him. Have used it on several other dogs with the same success.

Great idea Sue! Thanks! I'm going to buy a few mousetraps tomorrow. I'll post my results.

All the best,

Glenn

Latest posts

Back