40 pound fish

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B. Hallock

Reaction score
I know most all you guys are on here and are from the east. I've been on a few times and have talked Tracker and other info. Great website and very helpful. I'm a Lake trout hunter from out west in Colorado. I just got back from the best big fish trip I've had. Been a while trying, but finally scored some nice fish in bunches. I've spent a lot of days on the lake with no fish to show, but time and effort pay off somtimes...and can be worth every minute!!! Thought I'd give you guys a taste of some real fish, haha, just a joke, any fish is a good one as far as I'm concerned.

These fish are all caught with jigs and single hooks, vertical jigging, on light line and MH rods, 10-12 pound test line. Its a challenge to say the least, but can be rewarding as all get out. My girlfriend can outfish most people and is a pro at it...she is the girl in the pictures. I got my biggest ever, 40lbs and she got her biggest ever, 28lbs. on this same trip. I lived the dream for three days! Had one of the trips that you wait a life time for. We caught 20 fish over 10 pounds and weighed 384lbs of total lake trout. All caught and released to see another day. Enjoy!!!

Melissa with 25 pounder

DSC00592.JPG

Melissa with 28 pounder

DSC00573.JPG

Melissa 28 pounder

DSC00575.JPG

Sonar with fish in action

DSC00577.JPG

Melissa 23 pounder

IMG_0047.jpg

Me with 30 pounder

DSC00611.JPG

Me with 38 pounder

DSC00606.JPG

Me with 40.14 pounder

IMG_0041.jpg

I know you guys aren't trout guys, but we have mostly cold water out here...got to go for the biggest and best in your area. Hope you guys enjoyed the pictures!!!

Great Pictures and I don't care what you fish for, those fish were really something! Must have been a lot of fun..

Uncle Billy

Its fun and intense!! Up until this trip the best I've ever done was 8 decent fish in one day. We had two days back to back with 10 or more total. It was a blast catching them, but its just as much fun for me to watch the lady school everyone around...I've been schooled by her too though...then its not so much fun. LOL

Are you sure those are trout and not blue fish? here in NH our trout have pretty speckles and rainbows on there skins and would be hard pressed to hit 2lbs...

Nice catch and thanks for sharing the pics. Must have been one heck of a trip. can't imagine pulling a 40lb fish with a jig and 10lb line. Nice job.

GregD

Very nice fish... I'll take that kind of action on a rod and reel anytime... Almost as much fun as catching walleyes...LOL ;)

Unbelieveable! Man, that is some great photo's and I'm sure that your trip will be easily remembered for many, many years.

Tex

Thanks guys for all the kind words. Just thought I'd share what some of the west side of the US has to offer. It was a dream trip for sure!! Now back to no fish, and 1 or 2 fish days. I figure we ran our luck as far as it would take us for now. Time and dues until the next magical trip...what we all are after every time we go fishing!!

You said you hunt out west in Colorado. Where? I grew up in Delta; folks still live there. The pictures look vaguely similar to Lake Powell, but I could be wrong.

My dad hunted Lake Trout at Blue Mesa near Gunnison, but never did hook one up. Those are some Niiiicccee fish.

Those are flaming gorge fish...Long story why not Blue Mesa. Not much left in there, too many trophy killers. Blue is the home base though, every now and again I get a good one there, but its rare anymore. The lake is now managed mostly for salmon and their is a group of guys that wrap dead suckers with hooks and kill a bunch of big fish that they hook in the guts. Not real sporty if you ask me...some people will do whatever to catch big fish. One day they will be complaining about no fish left though, but it will never be their fault. Trophy fisheries die everyday to bad management, overfishing, and non-sensible fishing ethics...Blue Mesa is really endanger right now.

Reading what's happening to Blue Mesa hurts my heart. I guess you really can't fix stupid. I have many good memories of ice fishing, trolling and bank fishing that reservoir.

Latest posts

Back