2011 Ford F150 V6 Eco-boost vs v8

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Kayaker

Reaction score
Hello - I don't know enough about truck engines and the latest trends in trucks but was thinking of getting a truck in a few months to replace my V8 Grand Cherokee Ltd. and was looking at the 2011/2012 Ford F150. I was originally thinking of getting it with the V8 option but was looking at the specs on the V6 Eco-boost and it seems close enough in comparison to their V8 and more importantly shows it can tow over 11,000 lbs.

I have seen on several Ford forums that there seem to be issues with some people who have the V6 Eco-boost but not enough that it makes me worried that there is a general issue.

My question is, for those who have the 2011 F150 with the V6 Eco-boost and tow your boat with it, how so you like it? Same for those who have the 2010/2011 F150 with the V8.

My other question for those who don't own it, what is your opinion of the V6 Eco-boost from what you heard?

Thanks, Bill, the MadKayaker

I bought a new truck about three months ago and I considered buying the f150. I went down to my local dealer and drove two identical trucks, one with the 5.0 v-8 and the other with the eco boost v-6. Although I opted for a new Gmc z71 crew cab instead I will have to say that I was really impressed with the power and torque the eco boost v-6 had. If I had ended up getting the ford I would have gotten the eco boost v-6.:D

Bill,

I have read a lot about the eco boost and from what i read its got plenty of power. My only concern would be buying a new unproven motor vs a proven one. The v8 design Ford is using has been around for a while, the eco boost is pretty new and im sure they are still working he kinks out of it. Fuel mileage wise the echo boost and 5.0l v8 are pretty much the same in a 4wd so your not really gaining anything there from having a v6. Its great that the eco boost can tow 11k but really for a bassboat its overkill, either of the two v8 motors will do just fine.

Personally if it was me buying i would opt for the v8 simply because i don't like being a beta tester for the auto companies, I've been there before buying something in the first few years and ended up having problems that were worked out in later model years. I bought my current Chevy it was 6 years into the model run and i have had pretty much zero problems in 120k miles, it has been by far the best vehicle i have ever owned. My Dodge that it replaced was two years into that model run and it was plagued by issues that were corrected in later years.

My question is this: If the eco-boost gets the same mpg as the v-8, where's the incentive? I thought it was supposed to get great mpg and pull like a mule? Just a general observation, I am not going to look to changing trucks until the major players come out with a small diesel. Even then it will take a lot to get me convinced but that motor will open my mind a little. I am a firm believer in not overworking my gear and in the case of my truck, that's why I got a 3/4 ton 6.0 V-8, 4wd and 4.10 rears with a locking diff. Towing is crappy mileage in all of them so why not buy a truck that will last? That was my thought. So far so good. 04 Silverado Crew with 110k.

TOXIC

Tox,

I'm right there with you. I'm not at all one bit impressed with the mileage that the echo boost gets. In 4wd trim the epa ratings are no different from my 2006 5.3l chevy gets.

Also the V6..no matter what set up is gonna turn some RPM's so I'd question the longevity. The reports are good on pulling but, most are too new to make any determination at this point.

Thanks guys - sounds like you are all suggesting going with the V8. I was actually going to go with the 6.2L V8 (not the 5.0L) instead of the Eco-boost V6. This has a cast iron block vs an aluminum block - heavier and hopefully will endure longer?

Most Ford buyers are looking for bigger trucks with smaller engines as they are not really towing. Go figure ... They are going to get out of the V8 in the F-150 and move you into the F250 if you really want it so they can preserve the mileage estimates on the F150 for EPA guidance.

On a side note, I just read that Ford is going to move the Eco-boost into other lines this coming year. I think I agree with Jim that with it being new for this past year, I don't want to become one of the early adopters and shake out all of the issues for Ford until they get it right. Maybe I can wait for 2013 instead?

Thanks again, Bill, the MadKayaker

Bill,

Either of the v8's will work just fine. Other then the bassboat what else are you planning to tow? You will pay a penalty on fuel with the 6.2 as it is only rated for 16 freeway and like 13 city vs 15-20 for the 5.0l.

I wouldn't worry too much about the aluminum block in the 5.0l motor. My chevy 5.3 is aluminum and 120k with no problems i dont question its durability for a second.

You should look at the 1500 chevy's too. They get decent mileage, are ar reliable as gravity and will tow your boat like its not even there.

I love hearing a truck, my F150 has a side exit Magnaflow, and I love hearing it fire up every morning. For me I would get another V8 just for that reason alone. I do hear good things about the eco boost tho. You cant go wrong either way.

Cummins diesel, allison trans, ford chassis......my pick but hey, it'd be nice if they made THAT....:cool:

Back