2010 Z7 trolling motor

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Potaczek

Reaction score
I am looking at upgrading to a Fortrex 101 I have a maxxum 70 with a 42" shaft now I was just wondering what length shaft anyone else has the 42" shaft seems to short just wondering if the 45" would be enough or if i should go with the 52".

Depends on the water you are going to fish. The stock length is good 75% of the time on most bass boats. If you fish big water or traditionally rough lakes you will need the extra length to keep the prop in the water. Remember, you can always adjust it up but you can't make it longer;) My next rig will have the 52.

TOXIC

I think the 45" would be the best fit for that boat. 52 is massive on any boat and can make shallow water fishing tough. I run the 50" mg te 109 on my Z9, and in shallow situations I really have to raise it up.

Have you figured out where to put the extra batteries?

I have a 45 and a 50, and I never run the 50. When I am flipping or pitching the 50 in. was always in the way. If the waves are high enough for a 50" shaft, I stay home.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Do you guys think the 101 LB is over kill for this boat? Or is the 80 LB big enough I don't fish big water all the time rivers sometimes but I tournament fish alot and it's nice to have it when you need it. I think i will go with the 45" shaft. BMCD i have 24 volt now and i have room for one more battery.

I have a Motorguide 82lb TM and think it is the perfect size TM for the Z7.

don't waist your money on the 101 the 82lb is plenty and mine last two long days of tourney fishin if i need it to. plenty of power all the reserve you could need just make sure to get an onboard charger that charges all three batteries. thats my advise.

Thanks for the advice Joe i'm going with the 82. I already have a 3 bank minnekota charger installed.

All good advice unless of course you fish heavy weeds or mats, then you need the extra umph to get out of the goo. Come to the Potomac and you will want a 200hp trolling motor!!:lol::lol:

TOXIC

Latest posts

Back