170 TF 90HP- What's the best set-up?

• Thread starter chris kempowski
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have 1994 170TF with a 90hp Mercurty. The prop to pad is 5.75", motor is on a 6" jack plate, running a 22p LaserII prop. At wot turning 5900rpms.

Holeshot is okay with just me in boat, horrible with a partner. Top speed is 43-44mph with just me, 40 with partner.

Looking for advice on several areas

1) Motor seems to be siting low, anyone else with this set up what's your prop to pad? I have played with motor but performance went down as I raised motor.

2) Any prop suggestions for better hole shot? (4 blade maybe)

3) Can I squeeze a few more mph out of her? How? getting a bigger motor is not an option.

I had a 93 with a 90hp mine was a dual console. I spent about $2000 on props jack plates lowering and raisning the bolt holes, screwing with props. Naaaa Daaaah nothing zilch. I got it to go slower but not faster than your stating in your post. Buddy of mine had the 93 18foot DC version with a 115hp same thing. Want a faster boat? Sell yours and buy a faster one. Don't torture yourself with this because your not going to win. It's just not worth pissing around for 2mph. I did it I know. Save your money and go fishing.

fatrap

The only thing I might add is on the hole shot you may want to look at the plugs on the Laser II. I had to add a couple to mine and it helped my hole shot a little on my 750DC.

Latest posts

Back