12/24 Switch

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dyno6942

Reaction score
I will be replacing the trolling motor on my Nitro 180FS. The original motor was a Motor Guide Pro Series 45 (12/24V). On the left side of the foot pedal, of that trolling motor, there was a 3 position switch: 12V/OFF/24V. On the right side of the pedal was the 5 speed knob, thus making it a 10 speed, 5 various speeds in 12v mode, 5 various speeds in 24v mode. I really liked the choice of 10 speeds. My question is: Are Motor Guide Freshwater Series motors still built this way? Are Minn Kota's Edge and Maxxum motors built this way? Thanks Guys, and Good Fishin'!

I'm not the expert on here but I recently did a bunch of research on a new trolling motor. I do not recall seeing a 12/24 option on Minn Kota. Most are only 12 or only 24 with no option to switch back and forth. Motor guide and Minn Kota both have variable speed models, they were all straight 24 volt . I would google both websites and see what they show.

I just checked minn Kota and motor guide websites. I did not see a single motor with the 12/24 option. If they have it they are keeping it a secret. Hope this helps.

No companies make dual voltage motors any more.

A 45# 12/24V motor is close to being an antique. The efficiency of modern motors are way better that what you have.

Modern 24V motors are a minimum of 70# now.

A 55# thrust 12V motor is very common now.

Hi Dyno,

I'm looking at replacing the exact same unit with an 84lb MG Tour Series.

With the variable speed control on all of the new motors you would essentially have MORE than 10 speeds, all depending on where you position the dial. As stated above though, all speeds will require 24 Volts of power so there will be no option to use just one battery like the option that we have now, although I never have used it with just one.

Steve

I was looking at ads on E-Bay, and found a floor display Edge 70 for sale. One of the photos showed the foot pedal, with a 3 position switch, but the photo wasn't clear enough to read the markings. I e-mailed the guy asking him to check it. We'll see if he gets back to me.

Again, Thanks for all of your help.

I had the 12/24 on my last boat and never once did I use the 12 volt option in 13 years. I currently have a foot controled MinnKota Fortrex 24 volt with adjustable thrust. You just don't need a 12 volt IMHO I can dial mine to where I can count the revs on the prop.

fatrap

Not sure if you still need advice with this. I also have a Nitro 180FS and just replaced the TM yesterday with a Minn Kota Maxxum 70# 24V. I purchased the Minn Kota plug and receptacle kit. The wire used with the origional TM was 6 gauge and turns out I needed 8-10 for my new switch. I clipped all the zip ties holding the old wires taped up the new wire to the old and snaked it through removing the old wires with new ones in place.

You will have to setup your batteries in series which is very simple just google it for an image. The origional setup had two 12v feeds going to the 12/24 receptacle with a jumper in the male end (plug) that would give you 24V from the plug onto the motor when you flipped your switch to 24v. This is no good for a new 24v motor. Fortunately I was able to line up the mounting holes from the old MG with the new MK and im good to go now :) Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back